Is this True?

floncto

My local Big O Tire guy, who seems pretty knowledgeable and went so far as to suggest using LT tires on my 5er, just told me that NO manufacturer is producing ST's in america. He claims they have all moved trailer tire production to China . IS that possible? He claims even Goodyear is doing it.

2005 F-250 6.0 Liter Diesel

2007 Coachmen Wyoming 325 RLTS

2 Shih Tzu's - Squirt (Mom), BeBe (Baby)

Unfortunately.. true as far as I know. Well partly... Maxxis tires are made in Thailand. :lol:

The difference between manufacturers though DOES vary. It depends on what standards and level of QC the particular brand holds the overseas factories to. Goodyear, Maxxis, and a very small handful of others still maintain a much higher quality standard. Not all can be classed as "China bombs".

Not all,

Michelin has a lot of manufacturing here

http://www.michelin.com/eng/michelin-group/organization/facilities/(continent)/957/(country)/997#map-anchor

Throwing a blanket over all tire brands without research doesn't do anyone any good.

That's like saying HD is 100% American made... Forgetting to include wheels and suspension made by Showa and carbs made by Kehin

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Guest Pensauncola

Not all,

Michelin has a lot of manufacturing here

http://www.michelin.com/eng/michelin-group/organization/facilities/(continent)/957/(country)/997#map-anchor

Throwing a blanket over all tire brands without research doesn't do anyone any good.

That's like saying HD is 100% American made... Forgetting to include wheels and suspension made by Showa and carbs made by Kehin

I didn't know that Michelin ever made an ST tire.

No, I was referring the XPS tire they rate as commercial grade. Why an LT and not ST I don't know.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Well the truth of the matter is there is not a lot of tires on the market that is good for our homes on wheels, ST or LT. Also every time I went to buy a tire it was special order. And 16" 7k two axle camper you don't have anything good to choose from. The XPS and the Durias are rated 3kish. Most up to 17" to get decent tires with the load rating they need.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Guest Pensauncola

Most up to 17" to get decent tires with the load rating they need.

I've never heard of anyone going to 17" for their trailer tires. I have read of people going to a higher rated 16" or to a 17.5". I think most just stay at 16" and use LT tires or don't make any change.

• 1 month later...

.....and went so far as to suggest using LT tires on my 5er, just told me that NO manufacturer is producing ST's in america......

LT tires are trailer rated.

ST tires generally have a thinner sidewall and are rated for more weight than similar LT tires because they do not have to allow for driving forces.

I switched from a ST235/80-16 E China bomb to LT7.5 x16 G Hankook tire. Best thing I have done for my trailer.

I have been having this same dilemma with myself. I am thinking of going to a 17.5 wheel because if I am not mistaken there are commercial tires made in that size, so much better QC and restrictions. Am I dreaming or am I correct?

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I have been having this same dilemma with myself. I am thinking of going to a 17.5 wheel because if I am not mistaken there are commercial tires made in that size, so much better QC and restrictions. Am I dreaming or am I correct?

You are correct

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I put the G rated 16 Hankook on my three axles and so far so good...only about 4500 miles on them, but they are wearing fine.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 5 weeks later...

I run Michelin 16 inch E rated XPS rib tires. No problems from them but load range E is as high as Michelin goes in the 16 inch tires. I would have gotten a higher load range if it had been available. My E rated tires are not overloaded but they are near the top of their load capacity. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

My local Big O Tire guy, who seems pretty knowledgeable and went so far as to suggest using LT tires on my 5er, just told me that NO manufacturer is producing ST's in america. He claims they have all moved trailer tire production to China . IS that possible? He claims even Goodyear is doing it.

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac is made in America. Cooper Tires are made in America. Dick Cepek Fun Country tires are made In America.

Here is a list of tires made in America by union workers. Oddly enough, some Geolander tires are made in America.

That said, I recommend Sailun LT, all-position, load range G 16" tires for your 5er. They are quite common in the Canadian trucking industry. Sailun is a respected HD truck tire mfgr. I bought a set of 4 and eliminated my frustrations with ST tires. They stood up very well during our trip to Alaska, even Top-of The-World-highway. Which is really crushed stone and dirt/mud. They are almost a copy of the Goodyear LR G 16" tire but cost about half.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That said, I recommend Sailun LT, all-position, load range G 16" tires for your 5er. They are quite common in the Canadian trucking industry. Sailun is a respected HD truck tire mfgr. I bought a set of 4 and eliminated my frustrations with ST tires. They stood up very well during our trip to Alaska, even Top-of The-World-highway. Which is really crushed stone and dirt/mud. They are almost a copy of the Goodyear LR G 16" tire but cost about half.

I just put Sailun 17.5" H rated tires on my 5th wheel. They are also rated to 75 mph. I was tired of running at max capacity on my 16" G rated tires.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A few months ago on TV, the Top Gear show did a segment on tire speed ratings. Was interesting. They said that the rated speed is ths maximum that a properly inflated not overloaded tire can withstand OVER A 20-MINUTE TIME SPAN. Beyond that time it's likely to blow.

Another episode they were testing some super-speed vehicle with a top speed of around 260 mph. The tires' speed rating was 250. The driver said no sweat- from a standstill to 250 mph the car would run out of gas in less than 15 minutes!!

Ron

Archived