Are you in control of your personal safety?

IRDEW

Same here would have moved ASAP! Then would have called or found the authorities and informed them anonimously! And posted it on RV Reviews! <_<:)

ditto - except I would *NOT* have done same anonymously. lacks credibility.

"Legendsk" - agree with lots of your missive, except..

"will spend most of your time just wishing you had let the perp kill you instead of going through all this"

Not.

You don't always get in trouble for defending yourself. A good friend of mine was in Oklahoma. He and his wife came out from a store. Would be robber tried at knife point. When he went for wallet he came out with his pistol. Shot him point blank. Dead. He called 911 and told them he had killed a man. No arrest made. Justifiable.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

"Are you in control of your personal safety?"

Love your topic title could also be "Would You Survive?" I would say none of us truly are in control of anything... We have a sense of control UNTIL someone infringes upon that! It is the control or ACTION we TAKE in any given situation where only the outcome shows who truly had control! Kind of like driving down the road and experiencing a blowout. We can ONLY control OUR actions!

I would FIRST and FOREMOST protect myself and those with/ around me by moving out of danger! I would definitely and immediately report the incident to authorities and since I would not be sleeping well anyway... pack and leave!

It might be foolish to assume it is an isolated incident or that the situation has been properly handled because it is diffused... at the moment. Who knows what sparked the incident... or if it will reignite? As they say to ASSUME is to make an ass out of u and me... in this case...could be a dead one!

The ONLY way I would stay the night is if I saw the offender cuffed and hauled off with the assurance he would not be back that night... even then... not real sure! To stay or go, yeah THAT I do have control over!

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

If you are concerned about your rights, consider joining something like USCCA . https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/?id=3steps&sid=Homepage-NAV

They help you stay informed of what changes take place in different state, and have a legal team if the need arises.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

For the most part, I would agree with the majority of the above. I don't know that I would include the incident in an online review. Management has no control of every action of those occupying their park and doesn't necessarily reflect badly on management or park services. I WOULD report it to the authorities as a witness.. as the manager should and might have. I don't see how tarnishing their reputation and potential future income is warranted for an isolated incident.

One thing people may tend to forget is the power of an authoritative voice and "presence". For whatever reason.. it seems most folks first reaction to a potentially dangerous situation is to freeze, watch, and remain silent. Be it a charging dog or some j***w** with a shotty. Even if your firearm is not within reach.. simply yelling "DROP IT! I'LL FIRE!" with your hands clasped in front of you in a weapons hold (sans weapon) as you move to advance will give the typical offender a moment of pause or confusion. Possibly enough for their would be victim to escape. The possibility of an imminent threat to their own lives has a real ice water over the head affect on most.. even if momentarily. At the very least it has the potential to "side track" their current train of thought.

I would be careful with children's services. There weren't a lot of details. How long were they left unattended? Parent/s making a potty run? Rushing a child to the emergency room? Any of the children over the age of 12 that can legally watch after younger siblings for a limited amount of time? My feeling.. be attentive, but don't jump to conclusions. Some things you can never take back once the authorities are involved.

I DO believe it's good to always have a plan. Even if that is simply asking yourself, "what would I do in this situation?" and making a firm decision in your mind. If that situation ever arises, you'll be more predisposed to take the course you've already decided on rather than trying to think it through in the moment.

JMO

. Having been a former LEO I would never suggest making that statement to an armed individual, you could very well be the victim

I would have been packing up and leaving that RV park immediately!

X3! The safety of my wife and I are the most important. In this day and age, anyone firing, or even pointing a weapon at someone, will likely wind up in court + associated expenses, being right may not alter that.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Howdy!

My not faulting you for not taking action, sometime the best action is to be a good witness. This incident concerned you enough to talk about it on this forum my question, why did you not report it to law enforcement? I know you state that you had no service, but there was still a need to report this incident even if it ment finding a landline after you left the park. The park personal and other seemed content to sweep this voilent incident under the rug. These type incidents like the one you on viewed if go unreported can lead to serious injury or death in the future.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

IMO we are never fully in control of our personal safety all we can do is to be aware and observant. We have never in over 20 years of Rv'ing been in a threatening situation in a CG although we have on one or two occasions pulled in and pulled out because we did not like the looks of the CG. We have never in our lifetime(military time exempted) been in a situation that threatened our personal safety or that of others but it could happen at any time in the future.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived