Friends of Georgia State Parks camping and park discounts

Ark-n-Tina

Georgia State charges campers a DAILY park entrance fee in addition to campground fees. I found the "Friends of Georgia State Parks" on line (see https://friendsofgastateparks.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=1)and a membership gets you a free night at a park, free entry into parks, and 10% camping reservations. After a few nights, your membership investment is paid back.

Has anybody done this? I'm wondering if I purchase a membership online will I be able to use the membership immediately? The State of Georgia says that the annual pass takes 7-10 days to snail mail to your home address.

I'm currently in the Carolinas heading south, expect to transit Georgia sometime after the T-Day holiday.

RK & Christina (Ark-n-Tina)
Silver Spring, MD
2006 Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel / AF32-5S Silver Fox Edition

2002 Ford F350 DRW 7.3L Powerstroke

Most of the friends groups for public facilities expect the members to contribute to the parks or facilities that they are friends of, not just reap benefits of membership. I believe that you have misinterpreted what they are about.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Most of the friends groups for public facilities expect the members to contribute to the parks or facilities that they are friends of, not just reap benefits of membership. I believe that you have misinterpreted what they are about.

Not this one. They're happy to take $80 cash money as a form of financial support and thank the donor with a few niceties. Even the State of Georgia suggests you become a member in order to get an annual pass (see http://gastateparks.org/ParkPass ).Kind of like becoming a member of your local PBS television station: you provide financial support, they give you a Rick Steves book, come back in a year and do it again, but if you want to volunteer to answer phones at the next pledge drive that's also cool.

Soooooo, back to my original question....

Silver Spring, MD

Well, I PM'ed the Friends of Georgia State Parks on Facebook and they wrote back immediately:

ME: Greetings. I am in the Carolinas traveling south and would like to purchase a Friends membership. If I purchase online, will I be able to immediately use the membership to get free entry into state parks, plus a free campground night and 10% discount on additional nights? THe website says my memberbship card will be mailed to me in 7-10 days, but I am from Maryland and will not be going home before coming through Georgia.

FGSP: Great question! Our website is accurate - online purchases will be received in 7-10 days from purchase. However, our memberships are sold at Georgia State Parks across the state so if you need to purchase and use immediately, we recommend purchasing locally at your Georgia State Park. Hope that helps but please don't hesitate to reach out to us via phone during normal business hours with any questions. Our office number: 770-383-8900 Safe travles and thank you for supporting Friends!

Kirk, feel free to give them a call and tell them they're doing it wrong! ;)

Silver Spring, MD

• 2 weeks later...

Archived