HDT Question and hello from new member.

AJPeacock

Hi all, new to the forum and really appreciate all the great info and nice atmosphere on the forums.

We've been RVing with a 5er and F250 4x4 for 12 years. Fifth wheel is relatively light compared to the rigs I see now, we've really enjoyed it.

My truck (although still real strong mechanically, only 233k miles) has more body/door rust than I'm willing to live with any longer.

I'm seriously thinking about finding a Volvo HDT and have a question regarding single vs tandem.

We spend time out west and I've seen my share of snow/ice. I've used my 4 wheel drive often when travelling and wonder how a singled truck will handle a fifth wheel in slick conditions.

I'm assuming a tandem would be useful in this situation?

Any/all info/advice on this topic would be great.

FWIW, we'll upgrade the truck now and upgrade the 5er in a few years (nearer retirement).

Thanks,

AJ

5er: (31qbh Wildcat 2004)

Truck: 2002 F250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel

I'm not one of the heavy truck guys, so will mostly just say welcome to the Escapee forums! Glad you are here.

I think that you will find that most of us do our best to avoid travel in snow & ice so that really isn't a major subject here. Once you get retired, the best plan for that is to wait for the roads to clear as it would rarely be more than a day or two. Of course, living in MI, I can see where winter travel makes that unavoidable at times. We used to live in WY and towed with a 4WD there to before retirement. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

An HDT is not a lot of fun on the snow and ice. Once it breaks loose in traction there is just too much weight with the tractor alone to come to a stop on it's own. That's the biggest problem in my mind. It's a blessing if you cannot get it to move in my opinion. There are plenty of over the road drivers who will say they are fine in the snow and ice, because they have to drive or not make any money. There is a reason for the mandatory chain laws. If you feel you have to pull your trailer in the snow and ice, choose a small one and remember the 4 wheel drive only gets you going better than 2 wheel drive. Each stop with the same number of wheels Ice is very unfriendly.

Rod

ps.

Had to drive once in the snow and ice. Stopped as soon as I could when I ran into it and waited as long as I could. It was early morning and when the sun came up I started back. Funny part was it was near a truck stop. Had clear roads up to 5 miles before the truck stop and about 2 miles past the truck stop they became clear again??????????

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I really appreciate the replies/welcomes.

I should have added more to my initial post.

Yeah, we definitely wait out the weather when the roads get bad (when we can).

But I've seen so many folks have issues with 2 wheel drive pickups just in snowy parking lots, wet grass ...

That I am curious if the same issues occur with the HDT's?

Would tandems make it better or worse?

I try to stay away from bad weather, but hunting out west and living in Michigan, well???

I have 2 sets of snow chains in my F250 and can deal with a lot of stuff.

Braking is always an issue, my rule of thumb with my F250/5er is to go down a hill slower than I can go up it!

Thanks again,

AJ

In answer to your question, most of the users with HDT travel with the seasons, so snow isn't often encountered. We still work, and summer in Canada. We've hit snow almost every trip, one way or the other. Tire choice makes a difference here. Some run an "All Position" tire all the way around. I prefer a drive tire on a drive axle, with a steer tire on a steer axle. We also built our deck relatively heavy, to help load the suspension mainly, but also to help traction in less than ideal conditions.

In case you missed it, HDT Questions and Answers. Many answers to help guide and focus your energies.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

AJ - You might ask (post) in the HDT Forum.

Probably get lots more replies from the folks who own/drive HDTs (but don't regularly check the other forums here)

"Traction" on various surfaces has been a topic from time to time (try a search).

I'll do that in a few days if this post peters out.

Thanks re: traction search, I'll do that.

Darryl&Rita, yep I'd read that document and it was very very informative. In fact, the last part of that document is actually what got me thinking about single vs tandem vs 4x4 and maneuvering in slick conditions.

Thanks,

AJ

First I try to avoid snow and ice but we like to boondock in the forest. Weight on the rear axle or axles can make a big difference. We built our HDT to load the rear axles and we have a lot of stuff on the bed. Our HDT also has 2 air lockers. With this setup we have come out of places our partners needed 4 wheel drive. The biggest problem is the front axle on an HDT is heavy and if it sinks it will anchor you there. We carry a Subaru Forester, a RZR, a generator a 100 gallon fresh and 100 gallon waste tank. We also extended the frame about 5' and mounted the hitch that far back. As an example of how this works we had to use a 4x4 to back out 30' 5er up our drive. The loaded HDT will back our 40' 5er up the drive without engaging both axles or the air lockers. Single or tandem each has its advantages depending on the weight carried and the conditions but good tires and a locker or lockers helps a lot. A lot of HDT's used to tow a RV have lightly loaded rear axles and have the same problems as a 2 wheel drive LDT.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Besides what Randy has noted, if you buy a truck and decide to run tandems, make sure that the second axle is not just a tag axle for weight carrying capacity. Make sure the truck has a power divider axle and lockers as you can easily get your drive axles in a hole with very little traction and the second axle will do nothing to help you move.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived