Advice regarding TV reception

aziamaiza

OK, first off I'm a dinosaur. I rarely watch TV so have no need for 50 plus channels and thus no need for cable or satellite. My needs are simple. I just want to watch the presidential debate (my kind of entertainment!) from our TV through one of the local stations.

Two months ago a fellow workamper diagnosed the problem. The splitter behind the receptacle had crushed one of the coaxial leads. He removed the splitter and hooked it directly to the back of the receptacle. Voila...TV reception restored.

Two months - and an eight hundred drive south - later, I turn on the TV and there is no signal. Nada. No picture, no schreching sound...nothing. The antenna is up. The booster switch is on. I did the auto channel search.The cable is connected securely from TV to receptacle. The connections behind the receptacle are secure. I've even

connected different cables to the antenna connection. An RV jock (bad mistake - $95 call out fee) went up on the roof and verified that the connection at the antenna is sound. No corrosion.

He told me that the problem lies between the receptacle and the antenna but had no tools (a continuity tester or what not) to verify that. According to him, the only solution is to buy 20ft of coaxial cable and hook it up to the antenna and magically bring it through the window to bypass the current cable.

Am I missing something here?

TIA

Marc

A couple of years ago a fellow camper had a similar problem and running a new cable through a window is exactly what it took for him to get the local stations .

We just made sure there was a drop loop of cable below where it went through the window . He said no rain ever got into his camper via the cable .

Goes around , comes around .

I would do a little more investigating before drawing any conclusions. If the coaxial cable passes the signal through a splitter, an ohm meter will read open even with a good cable so you need to test each section of cable to know that. Is it safe to assume that the symptoms are the same at both TV sets? If so, that probably means that the cause is something between the place that the cables become common and the antenna. A cable from the antenna to a TV via the window would be a way to see if the problem is somewhere in the cables but it could easily be something as simple as a loose connection. If you don't know what the look like, here is a picture that may help.

41kZdT1nwYL._AC_US160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Where are you located? Are you sure there are local TV stations within fifty miles?

Do you have a distribution box that the antenna signal is passed through (one with push button switches to select the signal source)? If so, do you have the correct buttons pressed?

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

An RV jock (bad mistake - $95 call out fee) went up on the roof and verified that the connection at the antenna is sound.

Did he check if the connection cable at the antenna had 12V with the booster turned on.

If not something wrong with the booster or cable.

If 12V present at cable then a new head may be needed.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I believe that the splitter between the bedroom and the living room was crimped - at least that's what my workamper friend told me two months back. He removed the splitter and connected directly to our TV. We knew thaere would be no TV for the bedroom but that was fine by us. I twiddled with the antenna and we had a bunch of local channels clear as day.

The weird thing is that I haven't changed anything since then and there wasn't any damage to the antenna that I'm aware of. The connections are not loose.

I would do a little more investigating before drawing any conclusions. If the coaxial cable passes the signal through a splitter, an ohm meter will read open even with a good cable so you need to test each section of cable to know that. Is it safe to assume that the symptoms are the same at both TV sets? If so, that probably means that the cause is something between the place that the cables become common and the antenna. A cable from the antenna to a TV via the window would be a way to see if the problem is somewhere in the cables but it could easily be something as simple as a loose connection. If you don't know what the look like, here is a picture that may help.

41kZdT1nwYL._AC_US160_.jpg

We're staying in Boyd, Texas. I never actually swivelled the antenna because there has to be some signal evident but there is absolutely none...no sound, no vision. No, I don't have a distribution box. The only button I'm aware of is the signal boost.

Where are you located? Are you sure there are local TV stations within fifty miles?

Do you have a distribution box that the antenna signal is passed through (one with push button switches to select the signal source)? If so, do you have the correct buttons pressed?

Lenp

I've had some poor experiences with hiring local bods that leave a card at an RV park. This guy showed up 40 minutes late without any testing equipment and he didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know, other than to confirm that the TV has no reception. My God, I'm in the wrong business....

I should have spoken with an electrician.

Do I, with power boost on, test the cable end on the antenna on DC settings or do I need to unscrew it first?

Did he check if the connection cable at the antenna had 12V with the booster turned on.

If not something wrong with the booster or cable.

If 12V present at cable then a new head may be needed.

We're staying in Boyd, Texas. I never actually swivelled the antenna because there has to be some signal evident but there is absolutely none...no sound, no vision. No, I don't have a distribution box. The only button I'm aware of is the signal boost.

You should have a boat load of stations available . You should try turning the antenna it points Southeast . Then try your search .

Here is a graph of the stations near Boyd , Tx .

Radar-All.png

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb70c36c0a20

Goes around , comes around .

I've had some poor experiences with hiring local bods that leave a card at an RV park. This guy showed up 40 minutes late without any testing equipment and he didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know, other than to confirm that the TV has no reception. My God, I'm in the wrong business....

I should have spoken with an electrician.

Do I, with power boost on, test the cable end on the antenna on DC settings or do I need to unscrew it first?

Unscrew the cable at the antenna. Have the booster on. Check the center wire(+12V) and outside screw nut(Ground) for 12V.

If 12V is present the amplifier inside the head is bad.

If no 12V DC at cable then problem could be with the cable or 12V booster.

369070033.jpg

Unscrew the cable at the antenna. Have the booster on. Check the center wire(+12V) and outside screw nut(Ground) for 12V.

If 12V is present the amplifier inside the head is bad. Replacement heads are available.

If no 12V DC at cable then problem could be with the cable or 12V booster.

369070033.jpg

Well I went on the roof this morning with my trusty multimeter, unscrewed the cable and tested for voltage (the power boost was on).

Bad news - zero voltage so that means, apparently, that either the power boost is bad or the cable is bad - or maybe both. My money is on the cable but I've decided that it is what it is and no further action will be taken. I'll tune in to the debate tonite (yes, I'm a masochist) via streaming internet as I don't want to watch it with anyone else....made that mistake with the first debate - the only time my neighbor kept his mouth shut was when the anchors and spin doctors took over. Go figure.....

Thanks to everyone for their help and support anyway.

Archived