Advice regarding RV storage

aziamaiza

We're planning on storing our RV (5th wheel - 40ft 2008 Cedar Creek) and truck in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for 3/4 months January thru early April. We have three options financially:

1) Store both in a field for a total of $75 pm

2) Store both in an uncovered secure location for a total of $130 pm

3) Store both in a secure, covered location with electric for an approx total of $330 pm

We are full time workampers so this will be the first occasion in three years that we will not be at home in our RV. I'm pretty sure that there will be snow and ice here during this time period whereas if we stored it in our home base of Phoenix there would be little possibility of snow although the temps might drop below freezing for one or two nights. For logistical reasons, Phoenix though is probably out of the equation.

I guess my question is whether it would be worth buying covers for both RV and truck if I was able to winterize the RV and leave it in an uncovered location. Do you think this is a "must have" or a "would be nice" if I bought covers, especially considering that I'm not anticipating any further need for them other than these upcoming three months. What does the panel think...if I were storing it under the sun in Phoenix during the summer then it's a no brainer to protect our RV but do you think it would provide any protection against heavy snow and ice?

TIA

Marc

Here is my $0.02.

First, store it where there is some security.

Second, winterize the trailer and call it good. You are not going to see heavy snow or ice in the Dallas area unless it is some freakish storm. Either or both, yes, but not heavy (at least by my Colorado standards). We travel south in the winter, but generally before we leave, the trailer will see a snow or two or three. As long as you have winterized properly there should be no issue.

Third, the truck may be a different story. You don't say whether it is gas or diesel because each creates a little different storage requirement IMHO. I would certainly think about removing and storing the batteries (inlcuding from the trailer) if they are not going to be charged.

Bottom line to my way of thinking is that if this is not going to be something you do every year (or often) I would save my money and not invest in covers.

Others may have differing opinions.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We have stayed in the DFW area many times visiting family, and currently home base in East Texas. I agree that you want secure storage of some kind. As already stated there will be no heavy snow/ice in that area, just possibly a few brief snows and 2-3 cold snaps. Hailstorms are a far greater possibility. We have weathered several there during that time period. I definitely would not cover either as a few of the highly likely wind storms would cause more damage from and to the covers than anything they would prevent. The trailer should be winterized.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

First, the Dallas area doesn't always get snow and rarely does it get very much. In the years that I have lived in north Texas I have never seen more than a couple of inches of it and it has never lasted more than a few days. I sure would not waste money buying covers, especially for the RV. Wind can make them flap and damage the finish on either one.

I'd probably do similar to Gary, but with several serious differences. In the 11 years that we lived in Ft. Worth, I never put antifreeze into the water system, just blew it out with compressed air, drained the ice maker, put antifreeze into the drain traps and ran the water pump empty, leaving the drain plug out of the water heater but with a cloth in the opening to keep bugs out. I see no reason at all to remove the batteries and if you did so, where would you put them that would be better than where they are presently located? I would lift the negative cable from all batteries, including in the truck. I would also put some type of pad, like a cheap cutting board under each of the tires to be sure that they don't sit in moisture while stored. I would fill the fuel tank of the truck as full as possible and use a fuel treatment (different products for gas or diesel) before you park it to be sure that it has little space to condense moisture from the air. Be sure that all tires are inflated to maximum pressure before you leave just in case the cold makes some pressure loss, then put them back to the proper inflation pressure before travel. Plan on doing an oil change on the truck as soon as you return before extended travel.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'd probably do similar to Gary, but with several serious differences. In the 11 years that we lived in Ft. Worth, I never put antifreeze into the water system, just blew it out with compressed air, drained the ice maker, put antifreeze into the drain traps and ran the water pump empty, leaving the drain plug out of the water heater but with a cloth in the opening to keep bugs out. I see no reason at all to remove the batteries and if you did so, where would you put them that would be better than where they are presently located? I would lift the negative cable from all batteries, including in the truck. I would also put some type of pad, like a cheap cutting board under each of the tires to be sure that they don't sit in moisture while stored. I would fill the fuel tank of the truck as full as possible and use a fuel treatment (different products for gas or diesel) before you park it to be sure that it has little space to condense moisture from the air. Be sure that all tires are inflated to maximum pressure before you leave just in case the cold makes some pressure loss, then put them back to the proper inflation pressure before travel.

Kirk puts a better explanation on to what was on my mind. It is my Colorado thinking that said to remove batteries (they can freeze if not fully charged) and even here I just winterize the same way Kirk suggests.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

The differences between option 2 and 3 are;

$200 per month

Difference kinds of rodents.

Electric or not.

Personally I prefer option 2 and used that type in NW New Mexico several winters ago. I only question is, what is security. A fence, Fence and Cameras, a person living on site, dogs? This summer I had to park in a open area but on a dead end road with cameras and in view of other houses. Less than 2 miles away a fenced area in a open country side near a busy highway, five campers and RV where broken into. Thus the visual level of security is important to me.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Thanks everyone. As you could probably tell I was leaning towards option 2 and without the additional expense of covers. I read out all your answers and my DW - and wallet - is satisfied. My plan was to disconnect the house batteries (there is a disconnect switch) and the truck batteries. It is a diesel therefore if any additive is called for I'll check with O'Reilly's. I'll jack up all the tire pressures and back onto a couple of 4X2.

We stored our motorhome and toad just south of Forth Worth for several months at a time. At a dealers yard. $$$. Often over winter. Now the deal was they winterised it before storage. One year they 'forgot'. Well the few hard freezes they got were enough to shatter the water lines. When we got back and turned on the water pump, at the dealers before leaving, water poured out of our basement. No big deal. They admitted responsibility and covered all the costs.

My point being is that snow is not the issue. It's the hard freezes.

regards

Archived