U.S. Public Lands app

Gypsy Traveler

Hi everyone,

I just read about an app that is supposed to list all public land in the US. The app is $3. I'm just wondering if anyone has used it?

Thanks!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

I have used it some. It is handy to bore in on your current location and see whether you are on some sort of government land or private holdings.

It does not show campsites nor is that the intent of it. Probably well worth the few bucks for those of us who boondock.

I have used it some. It is handy to bore in on your current location and see whether you are on some sort of government land or private holdings.

It does not show campsites nor is that the intent of it. Probably well worth the few bucks for those of us who boondock.

Knowing who owns the property is a good start, but without knowing the rules, just because it is public land does not mean that you can boondock there. For National Forests, you need to use the Motor Vehicle Use Maps(MVUM) and even then the distance you can pull off the road can vary from 30-300' even in the same National Forest depending on your location. Arizona Trust Lands require a permit and have a 14 day/year limit on camping. Some states require that you have a fishing or hunting license in order to camp on wildlife management areas. Does the app give this kind of information for each land owner/parcel?

That's a good list!

The ones I use the most are Allstays and Ultimate US Public Campground. Allstays for the pay/more established sites, and Public for the rest.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Knowing who owns the property is a good start, but without knowing the rules, just because it is public land does not mean that you can boondock there. For National Forests, you need to use the Motor Vehicle Use Maps(MVUM) and even then the distance you can pull off the road can vary from 30-300' even in the same National Forest depending on your location. Arizona Trust Lands require a permit and have a 14 day/year limit on camping. Some states require that you have a fishing or hunting license in order to camp on wildlife management areas. Does the app give this kind of information for each land owner/parcel?

Obviously true. And some good information for those who have never boondocking.

Since the OP did not post a link, I can only guess that this is the one? It only includes federal lands. The description does say:

"Links provided to each agency’s website included in the app, so that you can further your research as to what land use rules apply for each public land type – such as permits, fees, activities allowed and limits of stay."

However, it also states:

"Please note, the National Atlas maps only report to the nearest 640 acres (or about a square mile). This is obviously not detailed enough to be precise around borders, or for determining where private inholdings within public lands are located. US Public Lands should only be used as an overview, and you should always confirm more precise details by consulting more detailed maps, local field offices or the websites links with in the app."

As I said, I don't use apps; but if one is really interested in detail, The USGS app for their topo maps might be worth checking out. I have used the topo maps on GPS devices with good results.

Thanks for this thread and info about this app. My wife and I plan on starting to do some boondocking and I have been trying to create my own maps of government properties. Problems includel not knowing the specific rules for each of land areas and its been time consuming. If there is already an app that shows me where the Forest Service, BLM ..etc are, I wasting my time with my own map.

I've attached a small partial screen shot (hard to keep under the 100kb limit) of a sample map for comparison, maybe somebody sees some value to it.

post-50208-0-26280500-1426683432_thumb.jpg

Perhaps you'll find this map useful: http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

Whoa! That is going to take some serious looking at. But it appears that it should be extremely useful once the layers are all figured out. Great link!

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Hi everyone,

I just read about an app that is supposed to list all public land in the US. The app is $3. I'm just wondering if anyone has used it?

Thanks!

Please let us know what app you are referring to.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Is it this one from Technomadia - http://www.technomadia.com/2014/04/introducing-us-public-lands-for-iphone-ipad/? They are good people, SKPs and pop up on this forum sometimes.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I'm speaking of the Technomadia App.

Looking at the website for the Technomadia app it looks very similar to the one I linked to in post #9. Since they both use the data from the National Atlas, my guess is that they both have the same limitations in actual fine location detail of boundaries and private inholdings even though I do not see any mention of this in the description of the Technomadia app. The app maps can only be as good as the data that they are based on.

Hi all.. yes, we are authors of the US Public Lands app (Two Steps Beyond is our business that we sell the app under.. so both links above are the same app).

It's not designed specifically as a boondocking app, and we really wish we could find some public domain source map data to improve the accuracy of the app.

But, we do use it, and it is helpful when we're moving about to start our research for unique boondocking locations that aren't typically listed in other sources.

Here's a post we did a while back that shows how we use it: Finding Magical RV Boondocking

We keep our eye out for higher resolution and newer map overlays .. and the app will be updated when we do.

Enjoy!

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• 2 weeks later...

That is a GREAT list. Thanks

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived