Retro cab on air suspension ?

yzg

What make and model of truck?

Was an air ride cab offered on some similar models of the same make truck? If so, you may find that the parts are available. If not, it's possible that someone like Link Manufacturing, both an OEM and aftermarket provider of air ride cab components, or another similar vendor, may have a kit that could work for you, provided that your truck's cab and hood/fender assemblies aren't connected. If it's an old enough truck that the hood and fenders are a part of the cab assembly, it would be difficult to do because everything would have to be "suspended", not just the cab from the cowl back, as is the case with modern, free-standing cabs with a detached, tilt-style hood.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Thanks Phil,

I must apologize for not stating that it is a FL60. The fenders /hood are not part of the cab.

What I was curious about were things like the steering column which goes through the firewall and is attached on both sides..

I shall check out Link..

Thanks again,

Ian.

On a Volvo, the cab pivots on fixed points in the front, bags at the rear. The rear hood latch points are not part of the cab, they mount to the frame. Note if you do this, watch your cab cowl-to-hood clearance as the cab floats.

I think maybe FL70 might be a good start, maybe they have a setup.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Thank you for pointing this out.

I found the kit.

"The CABMATE MODEL FRT106HD-A fits most 1991 and newer Freightliner FL60, FL70, FL80, and FL106* Series Trucks. It replaces the original rear cab mount bracket, Freightliner Part No’s. 680-317-00-40 or 680-317-04-40.
-An air compressor system is required
-Trucks with horizontal muffler and vertical stack may require some exhaust modifications.

The freightliner kit mimics the Volvo. What comes with the kit is a bracket that moves the gap between the hood and the cab out from 1/4 to 3/8s of an inch.

I have the install instructions..I still don't understand what happens with the steering shaft..it isn't mentioned so it may not be important. It may be something I can do in the driveway.

What I haven't found is the cost of the kit or who sells it. I am heading back to "parts for trucks" in the near future. I shall ask.

lastly, is there a big difference in ride with and w/o it ?

Thanks

Ian.

I'm glad that you found something that might work, Ian. If I'd known when I posted that you had an FL-series truck, I'd have guessed that someone probably made a kit for them. They're only one generation "old", and there were a lot of them built, with some of them (the FL70, 80, and 106 models) reaching into the lower end of the HDT market..

I believe that all air ride cabs work on basically the same system, i.e. pivoting mounts on the front while "floating" on the suspension at the rear. Most of the motion is at the rear of the cab, so as long as the steering shaft is mounted in a rubber grommet of some kind, rather than a solid bushing, it should be able to deal with the limited motion at the cowl end of the cab. If adding an additional 1/8" of clearance is good enough for the hood (which floats to some extent on its own, even in relation to a fixed cab), then I'd think that steering shaft to firewall clearance for a bit of cowl motion is a non-issue.

The difference in ride comfort must be significant enough that air ride cabs are pretty much ubiquitous in the HDT world, where driver comfort is a higher priority than in MDTs. As far as whether it's worth the cost relative to the potential benefit, that's a call that only you can make, once you find out the cost of the kit.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil,

Yes..I need to track down a company that can provide this one or one like it.

I have a metal box or deck on the back..I have to look to see if this will interfere with the installation.

Once I find a price, I will post it if anyone else with a mdt is interested.

Thanks

Ian.

Hi,

I live in the beautiful Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia. The only province in Canada that has a declining population, almost the highest taxes in Canada, and an aging population. And that population is cranky. The average income in the western region for a family of 4 with 2 working parents is around $ 47,500.00...and if you make $ 178,000.00, you are in the top 1 percentile.

Ian :)

Well I tried. I knew you where Canadian and in the east from your posts. Since I live about 30km north of YYZ (Toronto airport) I looked up your screen name and came up with Salliut Quebec.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Nigel,

Great thinking.

The YZ referred to the bikes my kids raced. The G is the first letter of my nickname.

Great to see another Canadian on this list...my wife is from Gananonque.

Hope to be part timers soon. Buying some of the gear a couple years in advance to make it ours so to speak, to make sure it is what we bought, and to remind us what we are working for...

When you head south for the winter, to you caravan or go it alone ?

Thanks

Ian.

• 4 months later...

Archived