Domicile / Health Insurance

I know the topic of health insurance for those under 65 is a hot topic. We were planning to establish a domicile in Texas, but lately I've heard that health insurance from Texas (especially Polk County) is a mess. Should we go to Florida instead?

That is going to be a hard one to forecast. We hit the road in 2001 and a lot of things have changed since then. We still have a couple years to go for Medicare but thankfully our health insurance in Texas was grandfathered and we are covered until we cancel the policies or they cancel us if we miss a premium payment.

I have two suggestions:

1. There is no one size fits all for under 65, it would be so much easier if it was. Call an insurance broker in each state and ask what they would recommend. They would know what questions to ask you and you would probably give them more information then you would want to post on the internet and they could better guide you on the best state for your circumstances. They also would have more scoop on what to expect from the industry in the long term. Health insurance is an important decision you may want to call more than one broker to get more than one opinion/perspective.

2. If you don't have to make any changes right away... do your homework for now but maybe wait to make a decision until after November 8th, 2016. There may or may not be a lot of changes in health insurance procedures?

In the current environment, its hard to say what anyone should do. What's available today in Tx or Fl will likely change drastically next year. The elimination of nationwide coverage through PPO plans seems to be spreading across the industry in all states.

There are several past posts here that discuss the issue, and here is a good summary in Nina & Paul's Blog . There are also blog posts and Forum posts on how its now just as important which County you choose, not just the state.

http://wheelingit.us/2015/11/04/health-insurance-time-less-ppos-harder-choices-for-pre-medicare-fulltimers/

or go directly to an RV'er who's an experienced broker for mobile RVer health insurance

https://www.rverinsurance.com/

Jim

Rather than asking us, let me suggest that you ask Kyle Henson, who is a member of these forums as well as an insurance agent and a very active member of the RV community. Kyle can tell you what is and isn't true for health insurance in TX today. (302-943-0318)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I know the topic of health insurance for those under 65 is a hot topic. We were planning to establish a domicile in Texas, but lately I've heard that health insurance from Texas (especially Polk County) is a mess. Should we go to Florida instead?

First, while Kyle Henson is a very good health insurance source. I bought my Medicare supplement coverage through him. You should definitely check out his RVer Health Insurance Guide.

However, while you look at Kyle's info, keep in mind that he is closely associated with Escapees who sell mail service plans in SD, TX, and FL. Neither SD or TX offer ACA ON-exchange PPO health plans that have nationwide networks. Remember that only ACA ON-exchange plans are eligible for subsidies.

Since you asked about TX, there are 58 TX counties that do offer ACA ON-exchange PPOs plans from carriers Scott & White Health Plans (55 counties) and Allegian Health Plans (3 counties). However, I believe neither of these carriers have out-of-state networks.

FL offers an ACA ON-exchange EPO plans from Florida BSBS that function like nationwide PPO plans. Check out this FL domicile thread from a Escapees Forum member.

Will health plans, options, and prices change next year? Probably. But don't you think it's best to base your decision on what you know now?

Finally, wherever you domicile, remember that the county you select may be more important than your domicile state.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thank you for the RVer Health Insurance Guide. It has lot of useful info.

I try to stay away from insurance agents. Many are not able to sell you insurance from all insurance companies.

Many times you end up with an insurance company that the agent is able to sell which may or may not be the lowerst cost

or best plan for you. I prefer to do my own research. Good Luck

Thanks - but since i will be using the Escapees mail forwarding service, my address will be either Polk County, TX or Sumter County, FL. Since I will be a resident of either of those counties, I don't believe I will get a choice of another county to obtain my insurance. I will not qualify for subsidies, so I won't need an on-exchange plan. That being the case, are there off-exchange plans in Texas that would work?

You can get a TX OFF exchange EPO in Polk County that has excellent nationwide coverage through United Health Care. That does not help with subsidies, but if your income level does not allow subsidies it is a viable alternative.

I strongly recommend that you work through Kyle. They know the landscape well, and your insurance will not be any cheaper going direct - in fact it may be more. Also, having an agent is beneficial if you have contact or other issues with the underwriting company. I can tell you from my sad experience in getting BCBS directly that I WISH I had used a broker for acquiring it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you are traveling all across the country, don't forget that you do not want to have to use a specific group of doctors and hospitals as part of your health insurance.

Generally, PPOs are somewhat limiting--not as much as HMOs, but still limiting.

If you are traveling all across the country, don't forget that you do not want to have to use a specific group of doctors and hospitals as part of your health insurance.

Generally, PPOs are somewhat limiting--not as much as HMOs, but still limiting.

You are not going to have much choice if you are Polk County, TX. Unless you self insure. The only thing available off exchange is an EPO or HMO. If you know anything different please let us know. Because all the research done to date indicates an EPO is the only option for any out of state coverage.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived