Micro Apartment Living in New York City

dsimpson

I came across yet another article about living in “micro apartments” in New York, Tokyo, Boston and other high rent districts. These small apartments run about 360 square feet.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NYCS_MICRO_APARTMENTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-28-01-08-30

Manhattan Assemblywoman Deborah Glick and her spouse live in an apartment that Glick says measures a bit over 400 square feet. But they moved in together only after acquiring a more spacious weekend home. She said, “There was no way two lives could reasonably exist in the space that we have."

This article does not have a comment section. If it did, I would like to say, “Welcome to the world of full-time RVing. We’ve been doing this for decades.”

We were just at the Ikea in Covina CA (LA area) and they had a couple model condos/apartments that were in that range to showcase their furniture and related items. They were listing the square footage in large letters, the smallest was 270 sf, so they must feel it is important to people in Los Angeles metro.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

My daughter had an apartment in Manhattan when she was in college. Its a big difference when you can open your door and be outside compared to a hallway. An even bigger difference financially. Ask me how I know.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Hmmm... we had eight people living in just under 400 sqft in our RV... so around 50 sqft per person.

Given that it's just she and her husband in the article, by my calculations they ought to be quite comfortable in only 100 sqft. Four hundred sqft ought to be more than enough room.

(LOL - j/k)

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

We were just at the Ikea in Covina CA (LA area) and they had a couple model condos/apartments that were in that range to showcase their furniture and related items. They were listing the square footage in large letters, the smallest was 270 sf, so they must feel it is important to people in Los Angeles metro.

IKEA has those tiny models in all their stores. I think it helps make others feel spacious. Or gives you ideas for living in a dorm room. We put some of their ideas to use in our RV and see others being applied in the Tiny Home movement.

That article says the few affordable apartments in that NYC complex are $1500 a month and 60,00 people have applied for them. Ummm. That's more than we pay for our 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment in the Minneapolis metro area and this complex is one of the "luxury" ones.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Of course one of the things working for us is as soon as you open the door of your 300 sq ft RV you are probably looking at, smelling, enjoying some nice to spectacular out of doors conditions, frequently surrounded by other RVer's who are very contented individuals/neighbors

That is not what happens when you step outside the apartment in NYC.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived