Escapee's FL Mail Service

Tcwndsr

You mention the FL "Declaration of Domicile" that you completed as part of the process. There are different "flavors" of this declaration in FL and, of course, in other states: (Emphasis added)

I am wondering what states other than FL have or use such a document? I have changed domicile to 7 different states over the years by moving and to TX as a full-time RV person but have only been aware of this type of document in FL, even after a great deal of time spent researching domicile and related issues. Could you point me to some examples from other states?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kirk, step 4 of the Texas Domicile instructions on the SKP's website is:

STEP 4: Create an official record of intent to domicile.
  • Complete the Affidavit of Domicile (Loring & Associates, PLLC).

https://escapees.com/knowledge/domicile?id=199

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I am wondering what states other than FL have or use such a document? I have changed domicile to 7 different states over the years by moving and to TX as a full-time RV person but have only been aware of this type of document in FL, even after a great deal of time spent researching domicile and related issues. Could you point me to some examples from other states?

Google "declaration of domicile"

BTW, there's a link to a NV one in my previous post.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Google "declaration of domicile

In two pages there are only references to Florida, but different counties.

BTW, there's a link to a NV one in my previous post.

Following that link takes you to the site of a law firm that addresses the issue by using their services but makes no reference to any state law about such a document. :D

(a) Moving into a home, condominium, or apartment with the furniture, furnishings, and
possessions that indicate an intent to make this your primary residence;
(b Filing an declaration of domicile with the county clerk;
c) Registering to vote;
(d) Registering your vehicles;
(e) Obtaining a driver’s license;
(f) Recording an executed homestead declaration with respect to your primary Nevada

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In two pages there are only references to Florida, but different counties.

You'll have to look at more than 2 Google pages, Kirk.

Following that link takes you to the site of a law firm that addresses the issue by using their services but makes no reference to any state law about such a document. :D

Look on the PDF's last page as indicated in my post #49.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I have been using the Florida skp address for a year now. It has been working very well for me. Although I would prefer to just use one address, it has not been a problem. Just the other day I filled out a return form for some merchandise using my Tx mailing address. The clerk asked for my D.L and of coarse it had my Fl domicle address. I simply said that I'm an Rver and although he didn't ask for an explanation, he said yes we see that all the time. No issue. I spend a lot of time in Florida so this works good for me. I love my resident fishing lic and half off state park camping.

John

I have been using the Florida skp address for a year now. It has been working very well for me. Although I would prefer to just use one address, it has not been a problem..

Nice to hear it is working smoothly, John. Besides your vehicles registration and license, what else goes direct to the Florida address? Any financial or insurance stuff? Thanks.

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

We originally had the escapees mail service set up through Livingston, TX thinking we would domicile there. Then the insurance info came through this fall. We decided to domicile in Florida instead for that reason. The mail that goes to Florida is minuscule, so it really is not much of a factor.

We just felt we wanted to stay with Escapees because of all they do for fulltimers.

Do remember that you pay $1 per mail piece for items mailed to Sumter Oaks. While I loved the simplicity and cost savings of using Bushnell and Sumter county as my domicile, my initial perceptions of Escapees Mail Service has been somewhat muted. Just seems a bit clunky and convoluted compared to the other services in Florida. i really do hope that if more people sign up for FL Home, that Escapees can then afford to hire a mail service person or 2 in Florida to allow us to have 1 address.

An example of how crazy the current system is? I drove to Sumter Oaks after getting my new drivers license, etc and chatted with the office person there. I asked if they might have any mail for me and she said even if they did, that they could not give it to me! They are forced to mail everything to Livingston. Even if you're staying at Sumter Oaks, you still can't get you FL-addressed mail there until it goes to Livingston first! Yes, I know that's what we signed up for, and thankfully I don't plan to stay here very often so it won't be too much of an impact, but ugh, how painfully over-complicated compared to the other forwarders.

Lynne

First thanks for all the great infohere Lynne, very helpful..

I just want to get this straight, 'cause it sounds like a nightmare the federal government couldn't even cook up!

So, if I was staying for a few month in the Sumnter Oaks park, standing in front of the office staff when I had mail come in for me, Escappess would not only not let me have it, but would charge me $1 per piece of mail, send it all to Texas and then charge me again to have it all shipped back to me??? That can't possibly be correct???

Thanks, Dave

Dave-- that is indeed the current policy for Sumter Oaks! But, as mentioned above, your FL-addressed mail should be minimal so this should not be a huge factor in real life ( even though it seems completely insane to not have access to mail sent to your legal address).

Lynne

2007 Winnebago View 23J

2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2

Blog: WinnieViews

Facebook Page : WinnieViews

We're kind of stuck this year with us being Texas domiciled and my wife being 58. She lost her PPO and is not paying more for an HMO which really doesn't work for us fulltimers that are rarely in the state. What got my attention was that you were 'moving' to Florida for the better health plans. I took a look and all I found were HMOs and EPOs (which are almost the same thing,in my opinion). Did I miss something?

I am thinking of redomiciling to Washington state. Cost is about the same and their Blue Cross franchise still offers PPOs.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

We're kind of stuck this year with us being Texas domiciled and my wife being 58. She lost her PPO and is not paying more for an HMO which really doesn't work for us fulltimers that are rarely in the state. What got my attention was that you were 'moving' to Florida for the better health plans. I took a look and all I found were HMOs and EPOs (which are almost the same thing,in my opinion). Did I miss something?

I am thinking of redomiciling to Washington state. Cost is about the same and their Blue Cross franchise still offers PPOs.

The Florida Blue Cross EPO plans act like EPOs in state and PPOs out of state. The two lowest cost FL Blue Cross EPO plans are the BlueOptions 1419 and BlueSelect 1452. Both offer coverage out of state and have caps on out-of-network costs.

In several states I've looked at so far, there are PPO plans (even Blue Cross ones) currently available. For example, every county in Alabama, Louisiana, and Nevada have Blue Cross PPO plans available.

Texas even has PPO plans, just not in Polk county.

Finally, I think Lynne is actually moving to Florida, not just 'moving'.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Nope, my "move" to Florida consisted of flying there for just 2 days to do the licensing and domicile paperwork and flying back to where my RV currently is (in New Mexico). No physical move.

Michael,

Zulu summarized the FL plans right-- they act as EPO's in the state of Florida (i.e. the BlueSelect network is pretty limited, and BlueOptions network is bigger). But both plans offer access to the exact same "Blue Card" system outside of Florida, and there, act fully as PPOs and consider visits to those providers as "in-network". Even better, they also offer BlueCard's International coverage (see the Florida Blue website). I was able to sign up via Healthcare.gov and qualify for a cost-sharing subsidy, so both my monthly premiums and silver plan annual deducibles and out-of-pocket limits are lower.

If you change domiciles during the year, that counts on Healthcare.gov as a "qualifying event" so you can sign up for a new plan in your new state at any time during the year. I just happened to get my switch done right before my Illinois PPO plan expires at the end of this month.

A big word of caution-- health plans are really stretching the labels they put on their plans these days. Some (such as in SD) are still calling themselves PPO's but consider all out of state providers "out of network", others (like FloridaBlue above) call their plans EPOs but function as traditional PPOs out of state. Still others, like the PPOs being offered in my old state of Illinois or other states that I investigated like Arizona, are selling PPO plans but no longer offering caps on out-of-network costs-- so you're exposed to unlimited out of pocket costs. I fell into that trap earlier this year, naively thinking the plan would always offer me an in-network option, but when I called a few days before my scheduled surgery at an in-network hospital, I was shocked to learn the plan had no in-network anesthesiologists or pathologists and I would have been billed these unknown costs on top of my in-network deductibles. So, "buyer beware" if you go with a plan with uncapped out-of-network costs!

I've heard some good things about Washington (and Nevada) as non-traditional domicile choices. If conditions change in 2017 with Florida Blue, I might have to "domicile hop" to one of those states for better health plans. I know it sounds crazy to be switching domiciles every few years, but as a cancer survivor, I really don't want to take a financial risk on a less-than-ideal health plan. So fortunate that we have our homes on wheels!

Lynne

2007 Winnebago View 23J

2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2

Blog: WinnieViews

Facebook Page : WinnieViews

We are leaning towards using this service when we start fulltiming next April. I understand we will really have 2 addresses, Florida for official state specific mail and Texas for everything else. Do you also use the Florida address for things such as banking, insurance and medical to reinforce that you are domiciled in Florida? Also, does the Florida address qualify as a physical residence for your drivers license? I am concerned about this because I will be transferring a CDL which is held to a higher standard because of Homeland Security regs. I'd appreciate comments from anyone with experience with either of these concerns. Thanks.

I can only speak for our experience. I use the FL address for license, registration and things like that. My banking, CC address, and medical are all out of Texas. I do agree that you should contact SKP directly to make sure all your questions are answered to your satisfaction. I know we spoke directly to the Florida atty but have our questions answered before making the change. Good luck. Hugs Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Still having trouble with the logic. If your spending the majority of your time in TX and only travel occasionally why do you want a FL address. If your traveling a lot and just need a mail service then why not use St. Brendan's Isle mail service. FL would be your official domicile and you have only one address for everything.

All seems un-necessarily complicated, trying to determine what type mail goes where and then when traveling having multiple mail packages sent from two different places.

Selah, You don't have packages sent from 2 different places. Any mail that arrives in Bushnell gets forwarded to you in TX and put in with your other mail so it is ready and waiting for you when you want your mail sent. It really isn't complicated. License, registration, etc go to Florida to be forwarded to TX {I believe there is a $1.00 per item fee}. Everything else holds the TX. address. It doesn't really matter how often you travel to Florida, Texas or South Dakota, it's whether this state is where you want your domicile. It had worked well for us but everyone has to do what works best for them. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors

George,

I haven't seen one or had to use one.

You could probably put your zip in there without anything in the +4 spot. If it is absolutely required, the place you are ordering from might link to postal information and autofill it for you. If they want your money badly enough, they'll figure a way. B)

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

Hi George

If your asking about the Bushnell FL Skip mail forwarding, mine is 33513-8358. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048

• 4 weeks later...

All incoming mail for satellite users is quickly packaged and sent to Livingston to avoid delays. While handing a piece of mail to someone who stops by sounds easy, it drastically increases the chance of errors. We take great pride in a less than 1-percent error ratio!

When we established this service we purposely advised members to use it for state specific mail (vehicle registrations, license plates, driver’s licenses)—things that state departments want to send to a person’s domicile address. Any mail that can be sent to a “mailing address” should be sent directly to Livingston.

As stated in this thread, those few pieces of mail that the satellite member receives will be quickly forwarded to Livingston and then processed along with all your other mail according to your personal instructions. No need for extra instructions or handling. It is true there is a $1 per piece charge for forwarded mail, but we do NOT charge you for junk mail. We realize some states sell their lists and you can get on junk mail without even knowing it.

What is the turnaround time on this?

As a general rule, incoming mail is packaged and forwarded within a 12-24 hour window (depending if it's a weekend or not) and sent via "Priority Mail" to Livingston where it is immediately filed into the individual's personal mail box. It is then processed according to their personal instructions.

Hope this helps! :)

Why not go to the horse's mouth and call or email the question directly to the mail service so you can get the answer from the source?

Not pushing it but I mainly joined originally for the mail service and the old voice mail service. I have used the cheapist version and it has worked well for me but everyone is different and must decide for themselves. I have been using it since March of 1997. I just wish I had been able to use the discussion forum sooner but I didn't have or know how to use a computer until 2002 or so. It could have saved me a ton of problems versus learning everything the hard way. :mellow::)

Does the Escapees website have the info you are looking for?

Main mail section: https://escapees.com/support/mail-service

FAQ: https://escapees.com/support/mail-service/faq-s

9. Will you sort mail to my specific instructions?

Yes. We forward all first-class mail. You may give us a list detailing which magazines, catalogs, etc. you want forwarded. This service falls under our elevated service option and costs $135 per year.

Form (PDF) with class options: https://escapees.com/images/pdfs/303W-Mail-Service-Agreement-TEXAS_0115.pdf

Edited a bit to be more readable:

Special Note: Category “A” must receive all mail.

Category “B” and “C” members only:
Check the classes of mail you want forwarded:
First-class only
Nonprofit
Newsletters
Advertisements
Catalogs
Magazines
Newspapers
Travel Guide/Directories
Note: All other mail will be discarded. We will continue our policy of forwarding third-class mail that appears to be important via first-class, e.g. printed checks, refunds, etc.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived