Residential French Door Refrigerator

Velos

Thank you for the tip, good idea to clean once a year especially in the RV which probably gets more dust than in a sticks n bricks.

Not going to get an inverter as we no longer dry camp our travel days are never more than 3 or 4 hours (10 am to 1/2pm) stopping for full hook ups each afternoon and we usually park for a month or so at a time.

Along those lines the installer mentioned the GE draws more power than the Samsung? I don't quite understand as the amp for each frig is listed as 15?

Funny thing, the tech that replaced my start relay said GE is made by Samsung they put in their own compressor and condensers.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

I would not take the experience with a 5 year old fridge as gospel on will a new one of the same brand and/or design run on modified sinewave power. Samsung now wants you to use a pure sinewave inverter, but used to allow modified sinewave. While a new pure sinewave inverter/charger costs a good amount of money, a reasonably sized standalone pure sinewave inverter is not that expensive, often under $200.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I always stay at campgrounds by day or month where the electric is included.

So why should I worry about the energy consumption of any refrigerator.

When I need to replace my 17 year old 12 cu ft Dometic. that has worked 24/7 for over 13 years Full Time.

I will pick one that is energy efficient/self defrost and fits my present opening. And cost much less then replacing cooling system on present frig.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I always stay at campgrounds by day or month where the electric is included.

So why should I worry about the energy consumption of any refrigerator.

When I need to replace my 17 year old 12 cu ft Dometic. that has worked 24/7 for over 13 years Full Time.

I will pick one that is energy efficient/self defrost and fits my present opening. And cost much less then replacing cooling system on present frig.

The top freezer according to post #10 is the most energy efficient followed by the french door. Good point regarding dimensions, the closer the size of the frig to the existing opening the less cabinet work and subsequently less money involved to install. One of the reasons I want the french door is that when the frig doors are open they only go 1/2 way into the already small room.

This has been quite a learning experience to purchase a residential frig for an RV. Our original estimate was quite substantial for the labor and materials, When we asked the specifics they said they would have to remove our rear window to get it in then reinstall the window. Glad we asked as we have an emergency window that is approximately 48 by 48 and it can be positioned at 90 degrees or just lifted off the hinges and the frig can come in that way. That knocked off about 10 hours of labor.

I would not take the experience with a 5 year old fridge as gospel on will a new one of the same brand and/or design run on modified sinewave power. Samsung now wants you to use a pure sinewave inverter, but used to allow modified sinewave.

The 18 cu ft unit that Samsung now sells that replaced the RF197 that lots of RVers installed uses an entirely different compressor system with a continuously variable compressor rather than the standard on/off cycling that has always been the norm. I suspect that, to a large measure, this is the reason that a PSW inverter is now required.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We just recently replaced our Dometic 1350 with the new Samsung RF18HFENBBC. It has dual digital compressors and so far has shown to be super energy efficient. It gets the full boondocking test next week when we get to Q for 4 months.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

If you are installing a new residential Fridge DO NOT run it on a modified sine wave inverter. You "might" get away with it. But the new fridges mostly use technology that does not do well on modified sine wave. DO NOT do it. As someone said, a dedicated pure sine wave inverter is not that expensive....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We just recently replaced our Dometic 1350 with the new Samsung RF18HFENBBC. It has dual digital compressors and so far has shown to be super energy efficient. It gets the full boondocking test next week when we get to Q for 4 months.

Not to quibble but you may find that you have only one compressor, but two evaporators.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

The 18 cu ft unit that Samsung now sells that replaced the RF197 that lots of RVers installed uses an entirely different compressor system with a continuously variable compressor rather than the standard on/off cycling that has always been the norm. I suspect that, to a large measure, this is the reason that a PSW inverter is now required.

The Samsung is electronically (read computer) controlled. It will even give you trouble/fault codes as it will self diagnose when the power comes back on.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

It will even give you trouble/fault codes as it will self diagnose when the power comes back on.

Actually, the older RF197 does that, also.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 1 month later...

JM: How badly does it stick out of the hole, since it is not a counter depth fridge?

We have a 40" fifth wheel. We have no island and no coffee table so it is a pretty wide open space. Also we replaced the dining table with a desk so there is nothing extending beyond the slide-out depth on the opposite side of the kitchen/frig. There is a single handle on the right hand side of the frig as you face it which is less imposing then the double center handle for the french door. I would have loved the 3 door frig but it just didn't fit without major cabinet adjustment/cost this one just slid in with minimal cabinet work. I do love the bottom freezer vs the side by side freezer in our previous RV frig.

......................Height Width Depth

our opening 68"..........32.75" ....28. 5"

the new frig 67"..........30..........30.88" (without handle)

Difference......-1 ..........-2.75 ... +2.38

Archived