Help before calling direct TV

We have had DTV for 17 yrs in the sticks & bricks. We are now going full time in the rv. As always we plan to take existing equipment with us, but prefer less cable worries in the rv. I also have the slim line dish and a swm LNB for it. My question is will the new wireless geni and clients actually work in the rv? I know we need the video bridge, but was concerned about the aluminum studs in the walls.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Just don't want to get into a pissing match with DTV.

Thanks

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

OK I'll start this conversation.

Your satellite is wired to your trailer via coax, that coax then goes to you Genie. The aluminum frame has nothing to do with anything. Everything should work.

I have no idea what a video bridge is..........................

The Video Bridge essentially creates a proprietary local area network inside a home (or RV) for transmitting signals from a receiver/DVR being used in a Whole Home DVR setup (these days it usually is a Genie, but it can be another DVR). I doubt that the aluminum studs will create that much of a problem, but DirecTV does recommend some rather stringent spacing requirements between the DVR and the Bridge and between these any any other routers or hotspots you may have. I have read in other forum posts about successful setups in which people have not abided by these recommendations, but because of them I chose to use a wired mini-Genie in our bedroom instead of the wireless one. This decision necessitated a coax along the roof and a new roof penetration but the costs of having that done was roughly a "wash" with not having to purchase the Video Bridge.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Gave up on the Geni idea after talking to DTV. since it will not work on SD channels. Don't want to have to set up the slim line dish every time we stop. would like to purchase and use a portable automatic dish(carryout) to use each night.

So today I set up the slimline dish to practice. (still sitting in my yard where we have had DTV for 17+ yrs) I knew I would not get locals because I'm using the wrong LNB compared to the 5 lnb on the house, no problem with that. All signal strength numbers are 97 or higher. Aimed good. So I decided I would set up the old 18 in round, because it is so simple. got it set up, went into the receiver and changed preference to SD channels. Get all the upper channels BUT no locals. all signals as before 97 or better, but only 1 satellite (101) is all the receiver would go to. What am I doing wrong? no need to purchase a automatic dish if it will not pick up SD.I do know on the road I will have to go to the national channels for CBS, etc, but at my home I should be able to get my locals on the 18 in dish right? Changed the receive back in the house to the slimline 5 got everything as usual.

I hate it when I know what needs to be done but can't get it done.

Cary

SKP# 123923

OK, Gave up on the Geni idea after talking to DTV. since it will not work on SD channels. Don't want to have to set up the slim line dish every time we stop. would like to purchase and use a portable automatic dish(carryout) to use each night.

I'm sorry but you either spoke with a totally stupid CSR or you misinterpreted what they were telling you. The Genie works fine with SD channels just as does any other DirecTV receiver. Think about it, not all channels are broadcast in HD; if your explanation was correct you wouldn't be able to receive any of them. The Genie does require a SWM system but that has nothing to do with whether or not it receives SD.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

So I decided I would set up the old 18 in round, because it is so simple. got it set up, went into the receiver and changed preference to SD channels. Get all the upper channels BUT no locals. all signals as before 97 or better, but only 1 satellite (101) is all the receiver would go to. What am I doing wrong? no need to purchase a automatic dish if it will not pick up SD.I do know on the road I will have to go to the national channels for CBS, etc, but at my home I should be able to get my locals on the 18 in dish right?

A 18" dish can only get the 101. Your locals may be on the 119.

Don't worry about the locals going Full Time, as they are spot beamed and you will lose them when traveling out of the spot.

If you don't want to keep calling DTV and change your location to get locals. If the area you are in the locals are on the 101.

Some locals are on the 119 or 72.5

Then sign up for DNS that will give you the Networks anywhere.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Docj, Thanks. That makes perfectly good sense. The Geni set up would make it so much neater for me. Just want to be able to use the portable sat , when time is important. I have learned how to set up the big dish, it just take me too long when moving every day. As far as the csr I usually have to call several time to get the right answer.

Thanks again.

Cary

SKP# 123923

Docj, Thanks. That makes perfectly good sense. The Geni set up would make it so much neater for me. Just want to be able to use the portable sat , when time is important. I have learned how to set up the big dish, it just take me too long when moving every day. As far as the csr I usually have to call several time to get the right answer.

Thanks again.

Cary

But if you use a Genie (or any receiver with a model number of 25 or higher) you must have a SWM setup. The Winegard CarryOut will work with SWM but you will need to add a SWM8 and a power inserter. The instructions for converting portable and rooftop units to using SWM are here: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452242.pdf

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived