First GPS

kountryguy1

There is lots to consider here, rynosback. I agree that you will find a smartphone generally useful on the road. You should seriously consider getting "modern", so to speak. Once you force yourself to use the features you will be amazed at what you can do. I personally like my Note 3 (Note 4 is the current model, and what you would get now). It is large enough to use as a mini-tablet, is great for local navigation, and is still small enough for a mans pocket. But phone choice is very individual so you really need to look at what meets YOUR fancy. You also need to consider data plans and provider. There are really only two providers to consider if you are travelling nationwide: Verizon and ATT. Verizon still probably has the best data coverage, but it is getting very close.

On the tablet - I personally like the Androids. To me they are far more complete than the Apple iPad. But the iPad "may" be easier to learn if you are totally computer challenged. But you can make an argument either way, there. On size - it is also a personal preference....and what you are doing. I have all the sizes, from my Note 3 Phablet at 5.7", a Nexus 7", a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro at 8.4", and two 10" Android tablet, an iPad mini, and a T100 10" Windows 8.1 hybrid that can run as a tablet or with an attached keyboard. My opinion is that in the truck and at my chair the 8.4" is about perfect. When I need bigger I typically go to my laptop. The 10" is nice, but as a tablet I find it a little unwieldy - but the screen size cannot be argued with. There I have the three choices - two Android and a Windows 8.1. I prefer the Windows most of the time in that larger form-factor. But it depends on what you are doing because the apps are different.

You simply will not beat Google Maps for local navigation on the phone. There is NOTHING better as long as you have a cell signal (yes, I know it can be used without a connection but I never do). It is far better than any dedicated nav device, but it is limited to areas with cell connection for best use. I ALWAYS use my Note 3 when locally navigating. On the road I do like the CoPilot - I use the Personal version. There is still a place for a dedicated GPS in some cases, for some people. It is a hard choice.....

Oh I am. I plan on immersing myself into the 21st Century BIG time. I just need to find the time to go to the stores and check them all out. As far as carriers, I'm 99% sure that I'm going with Verizon. As I have read that they have the best national coverage. I was going to go with them and Millenicom, but Verizon stopped there contact. Thanks for all of the GREAT tips.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 2 weeks later...

Archived