Replacing the factory mattress in my toy hauler, need suggestions.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

My 2014 Voltage 3818 toy hauler came from the factory with a "Deluxe Memory Foam" mattress, all I can say is Dutchman's idea of what the word "Deluxe" means is way different then mine. Sleeping on this thing I wake up in the morning laying a 4-5 inch deep trench with a sore back and an attitude, not good in any way.

So those of you who have replaced the factory mattress can you offer any suggestions on "reasonably priced" queen size replacement mattresses, looking on the net I have seen prices that range from 300 dollars to well over 1,000 I find it hard to spend money on something I can't see and haven't had the chance to lay on for a while. So I am open to suggestions as to brand, type and what it cost, please include a link if you bought online, THANKS.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We went to a couple mattress stores and spent some time comparing different ones, huge variety of types as well as firmness levels so it took a while. Once we were ready to buy we discovered a gotcha, the prices they were showing were per piece, good only if you bought a mattress and box spring. Just buying a mattress was closer to 2/3 the price of the set than half. Even then they weren't too happy to sell us one they had in stock (breaking up a matched set) and wanted a couple weeks to fetch just a mattress from the factory.

Still putting up with the hassle of trying before buying is a really good idea. You might also try some of the inflatable versions, some folks find them worth the cost.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Sleep Number with his and her side control. Because sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't. We did the same thing when we got our rig and replace the mattress.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I've never understood how one would know which kind of mattress suits them best. I typically have aches and pains in the morning, including back, shoulder, and neck pain. However, I don't know if my mattress is too firm or too soft or my pillow is too short or too tall. My present mattress is firm, but I've had less firm ones in the past with the same results.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The issue of not knowing the too hard/too soft question is one of the advantages of Sleep Number. Turned out that my DH needs a very firm mattress to relieve his issues, while needed something fairly soft. We only figured that out by trial and error. It's pricey, but we've had ours in our S&B for over 10 years and will replace it only when we buy our full time 5er.

We kept the OEM mattress and simply added a memory foam topper which has a down feather topper of it's own . Sweet dreams . ;)

That's what we did. Works great for us.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Howdy All,

Thanks for all the replies, I am in shopping mode and appreciate all of your suggestions.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Sleep number queen.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

If you choose a air mattress, be careful as you travel in elevation. We have a select comfort and love it. We did ask carefully about issues with elevation changes as we travel. We were assured that there would be no problem. Well, we had one of the mattresses fail. They did cover it on a pro rated basis under warrenty. We would always fill the mattress in the morning to make it easy to make and look better. If you then go up in altitude, the pressure in the mattress will increase greatly. So lesson learned. Fill the mattress to make the bed, but if traveling above 8000 ft you might want to reduce the pressure while traveling.

Archived