How Much Can I Pull?

apackof2

Yes I agree. I really do not consider the light weights a good choice for full timing

I did not know that KZ was bought out by Thor although apparently they went to a Lippert frame in 2010 and I have concerns with them, weld failures.

I do prefer wood framed as they are better insulators, do not sweat and are easier to repair. Of course they are heavier soooooo I am coming to the realization that I probably will not be able to find a wood framed fifth that I can safely pull and need to look at trailers

I called Northwood and was told that all Nash products are still wood framed

Although I am not sure I can gain much space than I already have with a trailer either given the weight restrictions of my truck *sigh*

Thanks for your reply

I have an ultra-lite travel trailer which is a Sportsman Classic, by KZ and have been satisfied with it since purchase in 2012. Our son has one of their hybrid travel trailers that he has owned for about 5 years and is satisfied. KZ trailers came with a 2 year warranty, while most only have 1 year before they were bought out by Thor Ind. in April, 2014. The website indicates that they have thus far continued that. While shopping for a used RV that isn't vital, the longer warranty period usually does indicate some level of quality & quality control.

The Sportsman line has been considered to be in the light weight class of trailers and as I look at the specs it would seem to remain so today based upon the weights listed. While KZ has had a pretty good reputation over the years, I would not consider any light weight RV to be suitable for fulltime living because of the means by which the builder keeps weight down. We only use our KZ for summer travels and we avoid the extreme temperatures with it as much as possible. Light weights mean aluminum frames, less insulation, single pane windows, and little or now solid wood in construction to save weight. But that also makes them more difficult to cool or heat in temperature extremes. I have never seen a light weight trailer that had what I'd consider to be high quality interior because of the weight of that type of materials. When we were shopping we only looked at the small travel trailers so I'm not as familiar with the Sportsman fifth wheel line so I can't say with certainty exactly where they fall in the quality scale, but I caution you to be very careful as you shop and to make sure that what you buy can be used in all types of weather, comfortably if you are thinking of fulltime. If only looking at seasonal travel then one of the light weight RVs could very well be the best answer for you and I would keep the KZ fifth wheels on the short list for such use.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd.
"All who wander are not lost"

Archived