Crossing Into Canada

Ned139

We are planning a trip to Canada in the next few months and would appreciate some information on what I can take in and what to declare at the border crossing. I am aware of restricted weapons but wonder about electronics, camera equipment, etc. I have read about restrictions on cat food with beef being banned.

Thanks in advance. Ned

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Make sure pets are up to date with shots and take docs.

It's not just leaving the country but returning. Your customs may question anything in the trailer. Good idea to take serial # or pic of items so they are date stamped before departure. I do that in Candaia before leaving for the US. Just in case, in my case Canada Customs thinks items were purchased in the US and want to tax me on them.

Tools, other than ones used to work on the rig could be questioned. Our customs may think you are planning to work here.

And here are the rules for bringing food back into the US. Note that there are special rules for Canada partway down the document: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Make sure pets are up to date with shots and take docs.

The only thing that is required is a current rabies shot. You must have the certification (a rabies tag won't do) with specific information on it:

The rabies vaccination certificate must:
  • be written in English or French;
  • be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
  • identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight);
  • state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
  • indicate the date of vaccination;
  • indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
  • specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).

The above is for the importation of dogs. Requirements for the importation of other animals can be found at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/eng/1326600389775/1326600500578

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived