Road Conditions (Mounts etc?) Question Camp Verde AZ to Sun Valley AZ

Camp Verde is about 3200' and Flagstaff is about 7000' so expect some uphill climbing. Our Mountain Directory West describes the climb as 13 miles of sustained 4 to 6% grade. We recommend turning off your AC. From Flagstaff to Sun Valley is slightly downhill with no grades we can recall.

Barb and Richard

I will echo BarbW. The I-17 route from Camp Verde to Flagstaff is a long sustained climb... but nothing more than about 6% max. It climbs for a while... then levels off for a while. No cliffs or anything to be concerned about. We are in Thousand Trails - Cottonwood currently, and find it much easier to drive to Flagstaff from here... than it is to drive from Flagstaff to here.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Our Mountain Directory West describes the climb as 13 miles of sustained 4 to 6% grade.

If you're going to do any traveling in the mountainous Western U.S., I highly recommend this book (it can also be downloaded as an ebook)! There's also an Eastern edition.

http://www.mountaindirectory.com/

(Note that the Mountain Directory ebook will only work on computers and hand-held devices with Windows.)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

If you are concerned about grades, low speed turns, little to no shoulder; than in my opinion I-17 is definitely the route to take to I-40. AZ-89A from Sedona to Flagstaff would be the most challenging. We take AZ-260 East to AZ-87 North to I-40 at Winslow. It is good two lane road; but it has numerous grades, turns and sections with little to no shoulder.

I also recommend you get a copy of the Mountain Directory. You can check out the sample for Arizona and read the descriptions of your choices North from Camp Verde.

OMG ....89A....no way....was bad enough driving that with a car. I dont think they even allow motorhomes on the upper end of that road.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

89 is a piece of cake. I find I-70 up and over the Rockies, through the Eisenhower Tunnel, move challenging. A six% grade is nothing in the West. There are places in the United States with road grades above 30%.

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

Archived