South Dakota Mail Forwarding

I'm sure several folks will, there are some good services in the state, when you pick one just be sure they have a disaster plan in place for loss of the company principals. Under the USPS rules if a mail forwarder goes out of business the mail to them is all returned to the sender as undeliverable. That can make a real mess.

Make sure you also establish a local physical address in addition to the mailing address, having both is becoming ever more important as the government tightens the rules.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

With everything Stanley say, we use My Home Address in Emery SD for 9 years now. They handle all our vehicle registrations, absentee ballots, as well as our mail.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

MyDakotaAddress in Madison,SD. Terri is wonderful. Because she is located across the street from the post office and across the block corner from the court house she can get almost anything done fast. If she gets your mail request before 4:30 her time your mail goes out that day. Starting on our 9th year and very happy.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

MyDakotaAddress in Madison,SD. Terri is wonderful. Because she is located across the street from the post office and across the block corner from the court house she can get almost anything done fast. If she gets your mail request before 4:30 her time your mail goes out that day. Starting on our 9th year and very happy.

Another vote for Terri! She provides email notifications of every piece of mail we receive (return address information). Anything we want to see she scans and emails with no extra charge.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I just signed up with Terri about 3 weeks ago. Ever time I ask a question, she's lightning quick with a response.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Triple dittos regarding Terri at My Dakota Address. Going on 8 years with them and very pleased with the service. As an aside, when we first started full-timing we asked Terri if she could recommend an insurance agent. She recommended First Madison Ins. just down the street from her place. We've been very happy with their service also. They understand the needs of full-timers and will shop the best deal for an individual's situation.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Another not so small plus for MyDakotaAddress is that Madison is in the Central Time Zone portion of SD which means that our DirecTV DNS is the eastern feed which IMO is far better than the western one. I'd much rather DVR a program and watch it later than have to stay on late to watch it!

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

With everything Stanley say, we use My Home Address in Emery SD for 9 years now. They handle all our vehicle registrations, absentee ballots, as well as our mail.

On Marks recommendation we went 4 years ago with My Home Address and can say nothing but great things about their service. They handle all of our South Dakota business. Emery is a small town and you get small town personal service.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

They just started it and you are the first to mention Escapees Service. What is up? In my opinion if we do not support our own club services we will loose them. Have I missed something?

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Also know that many pre-Medicare fulltimers are moving away from SD due to a lack of health care insurance options.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

They just started it and you are the first to mention Escapees Service.

As you stated, the Escapees mail service in South Dakota is brand new so there may not be anyone using it yet, or at least for long enough to find out how it's working.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The new SKP SD service is one of the two "Home" services established for those that wish to establish a domicile in SD or FL instead of TX. The SD or FL address is used only for receiving those documents requiring the domicile address, and a standard SKP mail forwarding service TX address is used for all other mail. Mail sent to the SD or FL address is forwarded to the TX service for distribution to the subscriber along with their other mail.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

They just started it and you are the first to mention Escapees Service. What is up? In my opinion if we do not support our own club services we will loose them. Have I missed something?

Safe Travels!

You make a good point! Escapees is trying to accommodate members. If we don't support their effort then it will go away.

That being said, thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences. It looks like their are some good options to choose from.

Phil

Also know that many pre-Medicare fulltimers are moving away from SD due to a lack of health care insurance options.

It seems like the ACA has created a lot of issues and not just in SD. While it is possible to acquire insurance through the ACA Exchange there doesn't seem to be an insurance company that will cover anyone out of state unless it's for "Urgent Care" or "Emergency Care".

That being said, I'm finding that in Washington State my doctor will not accept any insurance that has a subsidy tied to it. So much for "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

Rhetorical question: What good is insurance if you can't find a doctor who will accept it?

Phil

That being said, I'm finding that in Washington State my doctor will not accept any insurance that has a subsidy tied to it. So much for "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

It's not at all clear how a physician would know that there's a subsidy associated with someone's insurance unless you tell him. You pay the premiums and he simply bills for his services. He has no way of knowing if you are receiving a subsidy. He may be taking that stance because of some personal philosophical belief but I can't think of any way he can enforce his position.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

It's not at all clear how a physician would know that there's a subsidy associated with someone's insurance unless you tell him. You pay the premiums and he simply bills for his services. He has no way of knowing if you are receiving a subsidy. He may be taking that stance because of some personal philosophical belief but I can't think of any way he can enforce his position.

I agree with you. My DW called the Dr. office after we looked at the different companies offering insuance through the ACA Exchange to see which one they would accept.

She started with the one that would charge us the lowes premium. She began reading off the companies on the list, most of which we'd never heard of and apparently the lady at the Dr. office hadn't heard of most of them either.

Before my wife could finish the list the lady told her that they would not accept any insurance with a subsidy tied to it. My DW didn't mention anything about the ACA Exchange... the lady at the Dr. office must have put two and two together.

I'm not sure what to do now. I guess we'll try to find a doctor who will accept one of these insurance companies. I'm not too crazy about that but what else can we do.

Phil

Followup:

The DW says the folks at the DR office can tell by the name of the plan (not the provider) whether it's susdized or not.

Phil

Followup:

The DW says the folks at the DR office can tell by the name of the plan (not the provider) whether it's susdized or not.

No they can't. The subsidies can be applied to any plans depending on the person's income. The plans aren't inherently subsidized.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

No they can't. The subsidies can be applied to any plans depending on the person's income. The plans aren't inherently subsidized.

Thank you for the reply. I decided to call them and talk to them myself. The confuion lies in the fact that there are several new insurance companies that have popped up in Washington State. To add to the confusion, Medicaid is no longer called "Medicaid". It is now called "Apple Health".

I talked to the "billing agent" at the Dr. office. She said that they do not accept any insurance that bills through Apple Health and apparently some of them do. The "new" insurance companies that are now offering plans in Washington State is causing quite a nightmare as far as billing goes.

Anyway, to make a long story short, as long as the plan we choose doesn't bill through "Apple" (in other words, not Medicaid) then we should be find.

Phil

Many (most?) doctors' offices bill insurance companies electronically. Adding a new company shouldn't be all that difficult. Shame on any office that uses that as an excuse.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

For more then 10 years my employer's health insurance plan, which covers me and for a little over $1,000 per month my better half, has not paid anything for out of network

medical providers. This is how health insurance works. We are lucky that the plan, United Health Care, has a very large network of providers and this has never been an issue for us.

I know of no health insurance plan that will let you keep your doctor that you like and want to use if they are not in the plan that covers you. This includes Medicare, if they don't accept

Medicare, then they don't want you if that is what you have. They don't want you because they will say that Medicare doesn't pay enough and they want more money to provide medical services to you, if they are honest.

If we are looking for a new medical provider we go to United Health Care's website and make sure that they are in network. We also confirm with the medical provider's office that they are in network before we make an appointment.

Some health insurance plans may still pay for out of network medical providers at a reduced rate but with the very high cost of medical care that is not much of an option. If you want to use a doctor that is out of your network

you can always self pay.

Archived