RDBE (for those in the know)

ddshjs

Greetings everyone. First of all warmth hugs of comfort and understanding to Gail. I am the Alie part of Alie & Jim. I will confess that Jim is more active with his replies etc in other forums. But now he has introduced me to this one for the ladies- yipeee. I do have one question to start with if you don't mind. We are headed out next week to get our new baby (being a grandma - new pets and new toys are thus new babies); anyway we are getting a new to us HDT. My question is given the fact that I have not driven a standard vehicle in 20 years and this one is manual, on an average how long before I get beyond the terrified feeling at the thought of conquering the management of the big truck?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alie, I would love to answer your question, but ours is a kinda unique situation. Hubby drives the Freightliner and 5er, and I drive the van and boat (it's the "cat and boat toter"! I'm sure some of the gals will chime in from facebook. I don't do facebook though. Keep driving!

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

Alie, welcome to the group! I know nothing of full manual trucks (we have an autoshift) but Lornie Jarmie has one - I think it is a ten speed. She practiced quite a bit at the rally and has developed some real smooth moves! She is in the FB group so you can post your question or make contact with her there. I'm sure she would gladly give you some tips and encourage you to learn to drive it. Keep us posted on your progress!

Sharon, we missed seeing you at the rally this year! Have you started fishing yet?

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Susan,

Sadly, no fishing has happened yet :( Too much driving and lousy weather so far. Likely won't be fishing here in TX, but we have some good quality time scheduled for GA fishing, both before and after the Disney World visit! Hey, we're going to be in Austin for a couple of days, let's try and get together for lunch or dinner? Unless you're too slammed with work that is. We'll take this back up with emails for details.

And yes, autoshift is the bomb! Only way this wimp would even try driving one of these big boys!

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

Alie,

Lorni Jarmie here. We have a Volvo 610 with a manual 10 speed transmission. For me, the size of the truck was not too hard to learn to handle. But shifting adds a whole level of complexity. Our transmission is not synchro-meshed, like a manual car transmission is. This means that when you shift it is critical to have the proper RPMs for the gear you are trying to find. This takes a LOT of practice. At least it did for me. Still does.

The main thing is to practice as much as you can. Start out in a big empty area, like a parking lot after hours, and just drive around. When you are comfortable with that then take it out on the highway. When you are really comfortable take it into town. I've just started being comfortable enough to take the truck into a small, low traffic town to gas it up.

I can go into more detail about what I did to learn if you like. I don't want to bore everyone here so let me know and we can email or talk on the phone.

Best of luck.

Edited by blz

2005 Teton Frontier Experience 39'

1999 Volvo 610

1988 Suzuki Samurai

2008 KTM 450 EXCR

2009 goofy Weimaraner

Attack life! It's going to kill you anyway.

• 4 months later...

Good morning gals, The East Coast Rally is just around the corner. It looks like a great turnout with lots of wannabees as well as the old faithfuls will be there. Mom is battling some congestion and I had her in the ER last Friday. Seems to be better today and seeing our primary care doc today. She is not up for traveling and therefore regretfully I will not be able to join you this year. Janet Church is going to lead the RDBE meeting and I am very grateful for her help. She is going to be a busy lady all week with her own presentations. Heidi Springfield will not attend due to work commitments, I was hoping you could hear from her first hand how she has logged 2000+ miles piloting their rig during the last several months. Janet may be able to give you some inside info, or maybe Heidi will send an email about her adventure! I hope you all have a wonderful week, meet lots of new friends and learn about the HDT lifestyle especially from the drivers seat perspective. Our membership grows with every rally, Bring some of your questions to the RDBE meeting and get answers from those who have been there and done that! Miss you all and keep on driving:)

Hugs, Davena Szmyt RDBE#1 ddshjs on the forum

• 1 year later...

Hey - can we get a link to the RDBE Facebook page here? I have some big stories to tell Ladies - you can't believe what went down this summer to Ron and I!

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

• 1 month later...

Just in case some RDBE ladies are in this thread and attending the Rally, we are having the RDBE meeting on Monday from 2-3:30 at another location than last year. Once I find the location I will edit this post with an update.

You can also find updates on our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/717139495029337/

If you are not a member, please ask to join as this is a closed group. No one but members can see the discussion.

If you have questions, you can find me at site 40. Here is a photo of me so you can spot me.

Thanks,

Alicia White

alicia-small-web.jpg

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

• 3 months later...

East Coast Rally Update:

Several days during the rally there will be a scheduled ladies crafting/ social gathering. Donna has been working with Alicia White ( thank you Alicia) and they have come up with crafting a scrapbook detailing the ECR, HDTing, and each person's involvement in their RVing adventure. The plan is to allow each lady to create two pages front and back that would best illustrate their personal adventure. Basic scrap booking supplies will be provided but they are asking for any lady wishing to be involved to bring any photos, mementos, etc. that they wish to include. The hope is the book can be displayed at the BBQ dinner on Friday night and at happy hours if completed prior. Those ladies not interested in participating are still invited to show up for "socializing" and arm chair quarterbacking.

Alicia will also be conducting the RDBE meeting at the ECR.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• 5 weeks later...

My favorite quote by St. Augustine, " The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page". Well, the page is getting pretty boring, so I decided to turn the page and attempt the trip to Crossville with Henry and the Centurian! We will be staying in the Hummingbird Cabin again ( handicapped accessible), however it is not available until Sunday so we will be a day late arriving. It will be truly great to see all the RDBE gals again and welcome lots of new ones to the fold.

We are 160 members strong as of the 2016 HDT Rally in Hutch! Happy 11th birthday RDBE gals, safe travels to all and keep the drivers seat warm:) June 2006-June 2017! Davena RDBE #1

East Coast Rally Update:

Several days during the rally there will be a scheduled ladies crafting/ social gathering. Donna has been working with Alicia White ( thank you Alicia) and they have come up with crafting a scrapbook detailing the ECR, HDTing, and each person's involvement in their RVing adventure. The plan is to allow each lady to create two pages front and back that would best illustrate their personal adventure. Basic scrap booking supplies will be provided but they are asking for any lady wishing to be involved to bring any photos, mementos, etc. that they wish to include. The hope is the book can be displayed at the BBQ dinner on Friday night and at happy hours if completed prior. Those ladies not interested in participating are still invited to show up for "socializing" and arm chair quarterbacking.

Alicia will also be conducting the RDBE meeting at the ECR.

2006 Volvo VNL 780 "Hoss", Volvo D12 465hp 1650 ft/lbs Ultrashift

Bed by JW Morgan Custom Welding

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Update for ECR RDBE meeting. Davena will be attending and conducting this meeting this year. So glad she us able to attend this year. She had been missed. ?

2006 Volvo VNL 780 "Hoss", Volvo D12 465hp 1650 ft/lbs Ultrashift

Bed by JW Morgan Custom Welding

Tandem

2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

My favorite quote by St. Augustine, " The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page". Well, the page is getting pretty boring, so I decided to turn the page and attempt the trip to Crossville with Henry and the Centurian! We will be staying in the Hummingbird Cabin again ( handicapped accessible), however it is not available until Sunday so we will be a day late arriving. It will be truly great to see all the RDBE gals again and welcome lots of new ones to the fold.

We are 160 members strong as of the 2016 HDT Rally in Hutch! Happy 11th birthday RDBE gals, safe travels to all and keep the drivers seat warm:) June 2006-June 2017! Davena RDBE #1

So glad you are able to attend the 2017 ECR and conduct the RDBE meeting on Wednesday. We have missed you.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• 2 weeks later...

Update for ECR RDBE meeting. Davena will be attending and conducting this meeting this year. So glad she us able to attend this year. She had been missed.

Yes she has!! Looking forward to seeing her steer the ship - err, I mean RIG - again!

Edited by ON2YNP

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae.