Whining 10 speed

GlennWest

Tranny 15 speed used, link below........take it to a local tranny shop in 5 minutes they will pop the shifter plate off and inspect the box and give you a report on the condition......not rocket work here.

Some shops will pop the top off thru the floor boot and under the truck at the PTO plate and give you a report.... they have to dran the oil out of the tranny to take the PTO plate off but it is no big deal.

Example of used tranny cost at the link below.

https://bend.craigslist.org/hvo/5012857877.html

Here is the deal..... once ANY truck is out of warrantee ........WE are all on our own, but many parts on the HDT cost less than the same part on a newer Super-pickup .......

Go down to the GMC dealer and price a replacement Duramax.......you won't believe the price and then price the remove and install costs.

My old M11 Cummins was replaced at 1,018,000 miles had NEVER had the pan or head off in all those miles ........ LGT itty-bitty-diesel may give you 1/3 to 1/2 that much service but almost all HDT engines are good for 750k to 1M easy for the same cost or less.

The M11 hauled 105,500 lbs of grain most of the above miles and now it gross's about 30K on a heavy trip.....trust me someone else will get to get the rest of the miles out of this truck my 10k to 15k miles / year will not kill this engine.

Time and low miles per year are the real factor to consider in the RV service but this is a factor to consider in all RV's not just HDT's.

Here is one thing that Phil touched on but was too shy to speak up about .......and that is that almost all of the used HDT trucks are already depreciated out, so you will likely recover a major portion of you original costs when you sell in the future (minus some of the "Options" that we add after purchase).

Sure a used HDT can sometimes be a money-pit but when you drive a New $70K Super-pickup off the lot in a few years your value is depreciated more than a new engine and trans for a HDT so.......

I

Power window switch Freightshaker = $18.00 in stock ( it still works at 1,031,000 but the rocker is worn)

Power window switch GMC = $96.77 on order (need it in won't work at 113K)

IF you really want a great pay-back on a HDT just tool down a long curvy 9% grade at 45 mph and all of a sudden a wreck blocks the road as you round the curve.......your Jake already has you steady at 45 and now you step on the Service Brake and you will STOP! Your HDT just returned every penny you ever spent on it.....

Some points to ponder.......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. By the way I don't buy loaded duallys. I buy fleet trucks. I paid 40k for my 2012. I did have to spend 9k more for bed, air bags, hitch. But I financed whole 40k. All HDT are cash. Owner said rear tires were 80% and fronts 50%, no cracks. Also said exhaust pipe underneath needs replacing. Started leaking recently. I was going to put a weedburner on anyway. I do believe I will need to extend bed toward front of cab. Builder stopped at the grated aluminum. That where that generator is.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My deck was $7000 including winch and ramps (discount ramps) and I would urge you to price a Smart in Canada,your money is worth at least 25% more and the cars are a lot less, our 2013 was $6000.

Use a broker for the paperwork and still save a bundle,as far as what to spend can't help you ,it is a bit of a crap shoot but do due diligence and the odds are very much in your favour.

The payoff for me is only when the time comes to replace the pick-up , at that point the HDT soldiers on and I go ka ching. A new loaded Dodge diesel -tax in - approaches $100,000 here.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

7k for a bed is great. I paid 6k installed for the bed on my dually. There labor was 1k. You must know someone that does that. Yea those duallys get ridiculous when all those options are figured in.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I would plan on fixing the trans whine for sure. Being the truck is in NY, general rust issues could be a pain to take care of. A seriously thorough in person look over, engine check and dyno before proceeding too far on a purchase.

Damian
'83 W900B, 3406B, RTO14615, 355 tandems, '95 Carriage Carriage triple axle

reluyog@gmail.com

You stay in Houston? I'm in Winnie now. I had already looked at that last truck. The emissions scare the !!!!! out of me.

Yes, I'm not far from Baytown. That 2008 is still pre DEF. MY truck was traded in so the owner could buy a new 09, before the big changes (DEF) in 2010, if I remember correctly. That 2008 is one of the older truck in it's emissions line. No "issues" with the emissions. My 05 need an EGR valve replaced...but so what? Everything wears out at one time or another.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Glenn;

Most on here know I'm of the "inexpensive" club, that said if your looking exclusively at Volvos you will be stuck with a much older truck for that amount of money. If you consider other brands, your open to more modern amenities. I.E. newer trucks. Any used vehicle is a crap shoot, the size of the parts alone in most cases require installation by someone else. This is what drives the repair cost up per related item, but with any modern automobile sevice items cost money. Just check the price of a new trans installed in that dually! All used vehicles require replacement parts, you just need to do it "once" with an HDT. You just have to be prepared to do it, cause you and a buddy can't tow it home and their worthless if you can't use it.

My 2 cents.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I have actually rebuilt Cummins and Detroits. This was pre emissions. Actually 1980's. Serviced them. Truck center in home town and worked there when welding jobs were slow. True my locations will prevent working on them most of the time. I am putting a building on a property I own in Texas. I will be able to work on it there. My biggest problem is cash. My credit is good but none for HDT. This sucks big time. I would love to have that last unit Big5ther posted. Just don't have that kind of cash. Probably be better off just staying with dually.

Glenn,

I cannot see why you cannot find a truck in this millinium (2000's) for 10k? True it will need work as a 2000 is now 15 years old! But alot more modern than a 1998. I bought my 2001 in 2006 for 16k cash, drove it home and started saving ( for bed and singling) 5k later had a singled truck with bed. I have owned this truck for 9 years put 137k on it bought it with 801k on it, used it as a tow vehicle and big pickup. With all maintenance and up grades I have less than 40k in it! I don't care if you're an MIT grad, those are damn good numbers! Reg oil change $300 x 9, tires $1200 × 2, initial XY selector in trans ($400), Later replacement trans $4000 (one time), misc upgrades and ramps $2000. Repairs and maintenance $3000. Your numbers may very, as mine are Freightliner based!

Good luck!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Glenn;

I never said it was a mistake! I just wanted to point out it's never gonna be a "get in, drive for 5yrs with no problem" kinda thing! Let us know how much you will have spent on that "dually" in 5 years of travel, will you? Just to put in perspective.

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Well I towed with the 05 for 6 years. 1 brake job. 2 sets tires. oil changes. Cheap. 250k when traded for more tow capacity. Have spent 9k on 2012 but that was because I couldn't level Teton with stock bed. Added air bags, air hitch, bed. But this Teton was never built to be towed with a ldt. Never buy the cheaper route with HDT. But ya'll ignore the non finance situation. More people would get an HDT if we could finance it.

Glenn;

Your right, as with anything sometimes it just doesn't pencil out! I as well as others have tried different hobbies or lifestyles that are not compatible with the situation. Then you move on to something else.

Hope you find what will work for your application and needs.

Goodwill only!

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Thank you Curt. You help a lot of people. This is frustrating though. We are approved for a metal building on our property in Texas. Even the concrete pad for the Teton. CU was happy to do this. We can buy a brand new car for DW, no problem. Can't get a dime on a HDT though. Our contact presented it to the directors. They just won't. That is why I was looking at the 98 610 ready to roll, carry Smart, tow my Teton. I can come up with 10k fairly easy. It is 2 pay checks.

Glenn,

I bought my 610 for 14,000.00.

this is what I have done to it as far as I remember,

Replaced the rear spring plates, as the person that singled it used the rear axle and springs complete, the drive shaft was way out of alignment.

Replaced rear air bags, leveling valve.

Truck still sat low on the passenger side.

Replaced both rear leaf springs, tongue leafs, pan hard bar.

Front springs, hangers, drag link, alignment.

Extended frame

Built bed.

Replaced complete a/c evaporator unit, high pressure a/c hose, high pressure a/c traducer.

Rebuilt clutch fan.

Replaced all brakes, drums, slack adjusters.

Replaced rear tires.

Replaced cab air bags, leveling valve, shocks, front mounts.

Ran overhead.

replaced one after cooler tube replaced.

Need new after cooler as mine leaks somewhat.

Yes, I drove it home the way it was,

Not the way I would use it.

Added David's head lights.

Replaced grill.

And I have spent more to fix the truck than it cost, but it works for me and is paid for!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Glenn,

I bought my 610 for 14,000.00.

this is what I have done to it as far as I remember,

Replaced the rear spring plates, as the person that singled it used the rear axle and springs complete, the drive shaft was way out of alignment.

Replaced rear air bags, leveling valve.

Truck still sat low on the passenger side.

Replaced both rear leaf springs, tongue leafs, pan hard bar.

Front springs, hangers, drag link, alignment.

Extended frame

Built bed.

Replaced complete a/c evaporator unit, high pressure a/c hose, high pressure a/c traducer.

Rebuilt clutch fan.

Replaced all brakes, drums, slack adjusters.

Replaced rear tires.

Replaced cab air bags, leveling valve, shocks, front mounts.

Ran overhead.

replaced one after cooler tube replaced.

Need new after cooler as mine leaks somewhat.

Yes, I drove it home the way it was,

Not the way I would use it.

Added David's head lights.

Replaced grill.

And I have spent more to fix the truck than it cost, but it works for me and is paid for!

Roger

I understand that the springs are the same front and rear axles on generation 1 trucks. You mean this is wrong?

Howdy Glenn,

Sell your dually, ya I know your going to take it in the shorts I have been trying to sell my Dodge for over a year at what I think is a reasonable price they just don't hold much value as they get older. Anyway sell the dually and buy the HDT, you should have some money left over for repairs if needed, this ASSUMES your dually is paid off if not, your still screwed. Thats what makes my Dodge hard to sell folks can get a bank loan on a brand new truck but can't get a loan on one selling for a third of the price if its more then a few years old.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I understand that the springs are the same front and rear axles on generation 1 trucks. You mean this is wrong?

The suspension on both axles is the same. What he's referring to is a plate or shim on which the axle mounts to the suspension. The pinion angle of the two differentials are substantially different, and the angles are controlled by those plates/shims. I'm sure that's what he's referring to when he says "Replaced the rear spring plates".

If you move the rear rear axle forward without correcting the pinion angle, you'll have driveline vibration problems at best and recurring u-joint failures at worst.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived