Whining 10 speed

GlennWest

Talking to a gentleman about an 98 610 with a super 10 with a range finder. He says it has slight whine at 65+. Not noticeable at 55/60. Put pressure on shifter and changes sound, lessens. It is still tandem, 222"ish, he pulled tape, wheel base. Cummins N14+. In frame at 800kish. Runs strong. Towing Elite DRV 40'er and strong even at low,lugging, rpms. Has full bed with Trailersaver hitch 2 bag. Some tool boxes in bed. It looks good. Been repainted. Bronze and black color. Could use a driver seat, original. Plenty of room for Smart. Generator comes with it but a contractor unit. Registered as motor home in NY. Can get it for 10k. Think it be good or should I be concerned about whine?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glenn;

I have noticed you have been looking for an inexpensive truck. Be careful when they get down to the teens and under in price, they will have repair items that are needed. That 10 grand truck may need 12 grand in repairs, are you ready for that?

Just want you to be prepared!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I understand what you are saying. I will not pay 80k for any truck. I will continue with what I have first. Only reason even considering this truck is conversation with owner. He talked to me about truck for about an hour. An in frame at 800k. Has 1.1 million on truck. He got it from another rver that got and converted it and he got it from an individual owner. He has been taken good care of. he said a/c won't stay charged. Driver seat is worn. Not original paint. Looks good though. Whine at 65+ in tranny and been reading on truckers forum and this isn't unusual according to them. He has retired. He is no longer making long trips with it. He retired from Railroad. He was making weekly pulls to NY from Florida. Says he is getting a new Ram 3500 and I believe he will be sorry he got rid of it. I know air leaks can be irritating to run down. I won't put a lot of miles on a tow vehicle. Most of my work is in Texas and Louisiana. Do go up north some years but not in the last 2. This is a pre emissions truck which I want. I don't like the idea of $3k+EGR repairs.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I don't like the idea of $3k+EGR repairs.

But would you be willing to trade that EGR repair for something else?? Rick W (I think) had to put a new engine into his truck. I bet he would have gladly traded that for a $3k EGR repair. If I recall correctly that repair cost him double the price of your $10k truck.

And what are you looking at for $80K? I have WAY less than $80k in my 2005 with 500,000 miles, that I paid to single and then had Herrin build a full smart hauler bed and drom box onto plus an ET, plus plus plus plus.

I had a simple, single, electrical component go out on my tranny last year in Hutchinson (nowhere near close to home), and it cost $1100 in repairs, and I saved $500 (half price) on the part. So at full price that simple repair shoulda cost me $1600. I'm currently looking at needing 4 tires and the cheap way is still gonna cost me well in excess of a grand. I got into my HDT when I had a 2nd family income and it would have been much easier. Now that I am single, I know that the costs of this truck will be a burden on me alone but I am aware of what I have and what it costs. Like Curt, I think that cheaping out on the truck, will cost you big time in the end.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I wouldn't be scared of it Glenn. Keeping in mind that the frame and some parts do have 1.1 mil on them. The whine could be the throw out bearing, or any number of things. But those old transmissions are pretty simple to rebuild. Heavy to get out of the truck, but no electronics to deal with.

For 10K, I would do it. We bought ours for 19k and right now we budget monthly about $300 for repairs. Sometimes it's spent, sometimes it goes into the kitty for future items like new seats, or buying an ET hitch.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Big5ther I contacted Greg about a 2006 or 7 and he quoted 75k singled. 20k+ for Smart bed. That about got me out of even considering this. Everything on Truck Paper is a crap shoot. If a truck hasn't been cared for 30 or 40k could be a money pit. This truck could be but it hasn't. It has been in rv service 7 years and only maintenance. No failures. Only issue he concerned with is whining tranny but he said it has done this the whole 7 years and not changed. A/C leaks. Money. Seat needs replacing. money. Air leaks will likely made me hate it before stopping them. I am torn on this. Everything dollars is cash on these trucks. If we could finance them it would be different.

But would you be willing to trade that EGR repair for something else?? Rick W (I think) had to put a new engine into his truck. I bet he would have gladly traded that for a $3k EGR repair. If I recall correctly that repair cost him double the price of your $10k truck.

New motor Yes but on Arrow/Volvo's dime. The quote for a rebuild (Volvo Power being done by Volvo) was around $25k. Even for the swap that I agreed to I think came in at almost $10k (again not my dime).

There is another Rick who did recently get a new motor but I don't remember the specifics.

As for the truck in question have Truck Remarkerters do an inspection. See what the report says and see if you still feel like moving forward or not.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Our is an '01 Cummins ISX, so pre-emission. We spent $2500 last summer on a simple "motor noise" at a Genuine Cummins shop, and the noise is still there. Oh, and it cost us a week (in Alaska) and a half tank of fuel to boot.

That said, it's a solis truck and we like it. Total invested so far, including repairs (brakes, tires, tranny issues) and bed/hitch, is still under $30k.

If you're feeling good about it, buy the $10k truck. You might not spend another dime on it for years. But then again, there are no promises on used equipment.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Goggled Truck Remarketers and only saw California service. Truck is in Florida and I'm in Texas

Truck "Remarketing" has changed names but a google search will still turn them up. A search of the Resource Guide will also turn up their info and another company as well.

That will take some of the "crap shoot" out of Truck Paper. Why pay someone to find you a truck, when you can do it yourself? Gregg sells a nice product but there are ways to find your own truck, numerous other shops to single it and other bed builders. You seem to have tried one "all in one" shop and thrown in the towel.

I bought my 780 for $35 and paid $15ish for the bed. Of course I spent 5 years reading and researching before I had the money, and another 6 months of shopping after the funds were ready. I had Truck Remarketing inspect the truck, spoke with the mechanic they used and got his personal opinion, arranged for the selling dealer to take it and get a dyno done and then flew from Texas to Minnesota to see it myself. I drove home with the first truck I physically looked at. 30,000 miles and 5 years later I still think I have a great truck.

Like I said, I paid $35k for a 5 year old 2005 (in 2010). Maybe I am wrong but I can not believe that a $75,000 9 year old truck is the best that you can find.

2010 I-Shift 630, 524,000 miles for $47k

2009 ultrashift 670, 650,000 miles for $39K

2009 I-Shift 670, 625,000 miles for $53k

2007 ultrashift 780, 800,000 miles for $35

The last one is right here in my town..and I know that dealer will work a deal, so you will get it for even less. and if you want it singled, ask for Wayne or Eli in the bodyshop.

EDIT: Heck, here is a find...a 2008 780 with an I-Shift and 700k miles for $46 and once again, in my home town.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

You stay in Houston? I'm in Winnie now. I had already looked at that last truck. The emissions scare the !!!!! out of me. I well remember the early days of car's emissions problems. They were terrible. New cars/trucks are good now but the learning curve was terrible. Trucks are going thru this now. I really want an auto shift. prefer no clutch. Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't truckers getting rid of these trucks for older trucks around these years.

I really want an auto shift. prefer no clutch.

Just to clear up the terminology so that there's no confusion, a true Autoshift (EatonFuller) is a three pedal transmission that requires manual clutch disengagement when stopping. TruckPaper makes this even more confusing because dealers often mistakenly refer to any automated transmission as an "Autoshift" in their listings.

Ultrashift (EatonFuller), FreedomLine (ZF Meritor), and I-Shift (Volvo) are all fully automated transmission/clutch combinations that have no clutch pedal.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

It's very true that many of us have never paid for a vehicle what we have in our trucks. Even at seven years' ago prices and with no bed, my T2000 is the most expensive vehicle that I've ever owned, since I've not bought a brand new vehicle since the fall of 1978, and my then three year old, used '07 Silverado that I bought five years ago was still less than what I spent on the Kenworth a year and a half before.

But the other way to look at it is that in all probability, these are also the last tow vehicles that you or I will ever have to buy. A few of us here have had more than one, but in most cases it was a case of "wanted to" not "had to".

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

yea I did pay 40k for my dually. I hated doing that. Also have spend around 9k to get it to tow Teton. But I could also finance the truck. That's a big issue. Can get my hands on 10k pretty easy. 40k is a problem.

IMHO these HDT's are like farm tractors....if kept in good shape, hours (or in this case miles) are not a major factor.

I am one who farmed with several high hour diesel tractors that served me very well. I also had complete overhauled engines and transmission in tractors I bought...so feel somewhat qualified to make these statements.

I bought a 2001 Volvo 610 that had over one million miles on it and it served me extremely well.

Homework is the key to this... not expensive to run an engine check maybe ~$350 or so for a dyno...

Have the ECM data printed out on a computer....will tell you a lot. (Mine showed that 90% of it's running time was in 10th gear....on a ten speed trans)

These rigs are built to run and run and run....

I would do a dyno on this one, as well as get an EXPERT opinion on the transmission.

I would also add the well known HDT asterisk of figuring to spend ~$5K over the first couple of years.

If all of the above checks out, and the truck looks good, as well as well taken care of I would not be afraid to go with it.

Good luck,

Cheers,'

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

correct me if I'm wrong. the tranny goes there are likely thousands of these in salvage yards. They are way more popular than auto shift. In frame at 800k, should be good but dyno will tell the tell. There is little electronics governing controls on this model. Owner says bags has cracks in them but they have the whole time he has had it and still working and holding air. What is there to cost me a ton with it?

correct me if I'm wrong. the tranny goes there are likely thousands of these in salvage yards. They are way more popular than auto shift. In frame at 800k, should be good but dyno will tell the tell. There is little electronics governing controls on this model. Owner says bags has cracks in them but they have the whole time he has had it and still working and holding air. What is there to cost me a ton with it?

Best thing to do would be to call a salvage yard and get a price on a replacement tranny and try to get a price on a rebuilt one. Then get a price on a clutch as you might as well replace that and then try to get a price on how much to change tranny out for you.

As far as air leaks go you will have them and really only need to worry if they make the tanks go down too fast. You can always work on them as time allows.

$10k sounds like a good price, you will have more into a bed than that. Just be prepared to replace the tranny if needed. Be sure to check date code on tires as they might need replacing and can be expensive to do 10 of them at once.

By the way new duallys are around 60-70k. If you haven't done it yet, you need or should do a cost study for a time period of like 10 years to see which trucks might work the best cost wise.

You can find good trucks they are just very hard to locate!

We also found we had to self finance ours. It has worked out well for us. Just clicked over 476000 miles this trip on our 2005 Freightliner with an Ultra Shift that we have had now for about 3 years.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

This looks like a nice truck. Bed and paint alone are worth more than the asking price. 10 speeds were and are very common and most shops regardless of brand can work on them. There is nothing guaranteed with any vehicle, used or new to be trouble free. You could spend 5 times the price of this truck and not be any better of potentially. The fact that this has been in RV service means that probably someone has already checked it over. Get a dyno, have an inspection and dump the ECM and then make a decision. There Is a wealth of knowledge here as well as opinions. What it will really come down to is what you want and what you are willing to spend. There is compromise in everything. I will tell you that there are a lot of non modified still comercial 610 going for the price of the truck you are looking at so keep that in mind as well. Beds, hitches, wiring adapters ect add up quick after the initial cost of the truck.

Archived