2005 volvo would not start just clicked.

baddogy

Hello everyone:

This last weekend I went camping with the wife to Pudding stone Lake in California. Truck ran great backed in the trailer and all was good. Now when it was time to go, it would not start. I thought that the starter was stuck so I did the hammer thing and gave it a good smack to try to break it loose. Well that did not work. I called my nephew who just happens to be a mobile truck mechanic. He drove 2.5 hours to get me back on the road. After some diagnostics he shorted the solenoid and it started right away. After another 2 hours trying to find what the cause was and a couple of beers was he determined that it was driver error. Well with the Meritor auto Trans if you shut it off in gear the Trans can bind up and the ecu will not let it start. Before someone tells you that you need a starter make sure that you shut it off in Neutral. Auto club told me that it was the starter and it was just not knowing that it can bind. Maybe this will help someone in the future. Not sure if it is the same on the ishift but i bet it is.

Just some info.

Tom

The Ultrashift will sound an alarm if you shut it down in gear. Just push the neutral button while the alarm is screaming and you are good to go. I believe the Meritor is supposed to automatically shift to neutral when you shut off but obviously this is not foolproof.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I noticed you have an Ultrashift, I don't know if there is some general rule, since these transmissions are different and I would expect for the software to be different and have upgrades too. I don't rush shutdowns anymore and make sure I do it right.

I discovered the clutch-in thing in utter frustration doing all the idiotic and repetitious things to get the truck out of the stupid mode.

I made the mistake of shutting down the engine with our Ultrashift while still in gear. We were at the Border Station coming back into the States from Canada and the Border Guard was not happy about the noise the engine was making while running and I was rushed in my shut down by his frantic waving and dirty looks. No alarms were sounded and I did not realize my error until I went to try to start it back up and it would not start. Luckily after only a few moments I realized I was still in "D" and quickly moved it back to Neutral and did the key off and on and went through the normal start process.

Hopefully we will never do that again!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Ok as long a we are having a stupid contest I can I join the club with a manual tranny........

About a week ago had the ole Freightshaker idling for a while in our shop lot for about 5 minutes then shut it down.

I was installing a second inverter under the bunk and wanted to check it out with the alternator on line so I reached over and hit the key and sure enough the ole monster must have "put itself in 1st gear" when I gracefully crawled past the shifter ......... My lighting quick reflexes kicked in and I shut the key off and we JERKED to a not very graceful stop after a trip of two feet......

Maybe I need to "Ugrade" to a auto-shift tranny that is "smart enough" to not let me start when I am in the "dumb-mode"........

Maybe this is why no one parks near me very often..........

Happy starting......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

one more tip for the Meritor trany. You need air to shift into N so if it sits for a while and airs down you may have to apply shop air to get enough pressure to sift into N

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Also do not apply parking brake at the Border. The Customs Officers do not like that event.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

one more tip for the Meritor trany. You need air to shift into N so if it sits for a while and airs down you may have to apply shop air to get enough pressure to sift into N

That's pretty much all of the Automated Manual Transmissions. No air pressure equals no shifting force.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Ok as long a we are having a stupid contest I can I join the club with a manual tranny........

About a week ago had the ole Freightshaker idling for a while in our shop lot for about 5 minutes then shut it down.

I was installing a second inverter under the bunk and wanted to check it out with the alternator on line so I reached over and hit the key and sure enough the ole monster must have "put itself in 1st gear" when I gracefully crawled past the shifter ......... My lighting quick reflexes kicked in and I shut the key off and we JERKED to a not very graceful stop after a trip of two feet......

Maybe I need to "Ugrade" to a auto-shift tranny that is "smart enough" to not let me start when I am in the "dumb-mode"........

Happy starting......

This brings back a memory of back in the day when I was working on a truck in a customers yard. One of the drivers comes over and BSs with me for a minute and then opens the door to his truck, a cab over Pete and reaches up and turns the key. Yep it was in gear. This guy went by the name of Tiny so you know what that means, 5' tall and 350 lbs. I could see him running by the truck and jumping up trying to shut the key off. It was a miracle he didn't get ran over. He got it shut off, but not before hitting a trailer parked in front of it.

To this day I will not start a truck with a manual trans without cycling the range selector and hear it shift.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Happy starting......

I CAN BEAT THAT!

When I was a youngster (about a half of century ago :( ), I was building a VW dune buggy. The fiberglass body was not yet installed and I was doing some engine work. I "hot wired" the engine and jumpered the starter. The beast would not start. Since I did not have the parking brake installed yet, I put it in gear, to keep it from rolling down the driveway.

I got pzzed off at it and kicked the rear tire with all of my might. Back in those days, my chest size was actually larger than my waist size, I worked out with heavy weights and could leg lift about 500 pounds.

Well, I gave that rear tire a huge kicked! And, the engine breathed fire and the buggy took off and struck the rear quarter panel of my old Plymouth, with a loud crash. My dad came out in a panic asked what happened and then he had to rush back into the house because he did not want me to see him busting up in laughter. My mother was screaming at him saying Jimmy is going to burn the house down some day. And, I could hear my dad start to bust into laughter again.

My parents parked their car outside so I could build my "projects" in their garage. I was fortunate to have two good loving parents. May their souls rest in peace.

Soon thereafter, I enrolled in anger management classes :rolleyes:

I-Shift will return to neutral if shut off in gear, way smarter than I am

Does the Meritor freedomline also do this?

Iam pretty sure it does ,but it is a good idea to get into the habit of 'neutral '? 'now key off' I mutter it under my breath every time.

every time the key goes in and on you can hear it cycle the selector and verify N.

So they try their best no matter how hard you try to be a dufus, run out of air and all bets are off.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Yes. Whenever you shut the truck off, the indicator lights on the shifter will stay lit for a few seconds. If it's in gear, watch the indicator and you'll see the N light up before it finishes powering down. I relied on it to do that every time I shut it off for a couple of days when the neutral button was having issues.

Obviously, it's best practice to do it yourself first just to avoid the chance of something going wrong, but it'll watch your back as best it can. It will also automatically shift to neutral if you leave it idling in gear too long.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Sure it was neutral interlock clicking? In my experience I can just barely hear a tick when it is stuck in that mode. It is just a small relay in the fuse panel and isn't the big "click clack" down below. Don't Volvos have the mag switch on the LH outside firewall? Maybe that is getting flakey?

Parking a (manual) truck in gear without dynamiting the brakes is bad juju.....It's a fireable offense at our place.... Lucky for me all my attempted start in gear oopsies have just wound it up on the park brakes so far.

Scrap, right on......the DW has me on probation for sure.....

If "Grumps" (The ole-man) was alive he would have more than fired me...... because I had threw a couple blocks between tandems while I had the spring brake released and of course in Granny-gear the ole beast had no problem coming to rest on top of the blocks.........Grumps would more than fire me he would likely "thrown-me-under-the-truck" for being lazy, dumb, AND Overstressing the starter / ring gear with the dumb move........ IF you knock a few teeth off the ring gear it is NO fun.......

I thought us old geezers were supposed to be smarter??

For now I will sit in the driver seat before starting the engine..........Now remind me.... do you pust the Yellow button IN.... or pull it out ....to go..........

Happy gearing.....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The way we got it started was to power the small lead on the solenoid on the upper drivers side of the fire wall. I was told that there is a way to get it start by pulling or pushing the rig to get it to stop the bind. after it started it made a loud noise in the trans. This is the first time this has happened to me and i have never put it in neutral when i shut it down. I will from now on. lol

Archived