Good Sam Roadside Assistance

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am starting to look at the different programs that Good Sam has. I am a Good Sam member. I was hoping for some help from the people that have roadside assistance. I see that there is three different programs. They have a standard plan, platinum, and platinum + programs. I was wondering which program would be best for me. With an hdt pulling a 5th wheel trailer which program makes sense. I remember at the round table talk at the ECR, roadside assistance was brought up. I knew that it would be a big help to me to have some kind of assistance. Before I take off again for the road what program do you think works best for the HDT group ?

Open to all input,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Platinum. A little more expensive than the std plan but covers everything I need it to.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Alan, nothing useful from your insurance carrier ?

Hi Dave,

I never gave that a thought. I have State Farm for insurance. I will need to make a phone call.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have the Good Sam platinum plan because it covers a few more things. I used it once last year to tow my truck to the shop after my ECM died. I was in the middle of nowhere when it happened. It took a little time to get a truck to me and I was able to suggest several closer tow companies than the one they originally found. They were happy to call the other companies and got one out to me.

Read through the fine print of the various plans and see which one will work for your needs/desires.

I also have towing through my insurance as a back up just in case. It is only a few bucks a year to add it to my Blue Sky policy so I figured why not.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We have Good sam standard and ins road side assist , have used it twice,I call the tow company myself and paid the bill. Filed with both company and both paid their limit. Good sam paid total amount and Ins paid $100. One time in AR and one time in Canada.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

We have Good Sam. Needed it once, on the Alaska Highway, 60 miles above Destruction Bay. On a Friday evening.

The Bride took off in the smart and got to D-Bay, called Good Sam and said our semi tractor pulling our 5er needed a tow. Bad choice of words. The person on the other end kept insisting they only tow non-commercial, not semis.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Also if your horse trailer has a flat tire make sure it is called a utility trailer or help will not be on the way.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

I called them to try to get signed up (Good Sam), and they said my truck was not something they would cover because it was a commercial vehicle. (Even though I told them it was a "Recreational Truck". How do you guys have yours covered and towed? Is your truck covered? Or the trailer?

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

I talked to them and they had no problem with the truck and it is listed as one of my vehicles with good Sam.

Call them back and ask for a supervisor.

It is smaller than a motor home.

When I talk to the companys about my truck I never call it a simi, I call it a volvo 610 tow vehicle motorhome, it works for me.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Also if your horse trailer has a flat tire make sure it is called a utility trailer or help will not be on the way.

US Rider will be happy to respond to your *horse* trailer - or whatever trailer you have, with or without horses on board.

And - no need to own any hay burners to be a member.

Last week our toad pulling a friends boat died between Gold Field NV and Tonopah (way past Nowhere...) and the Plat Good SAMs took care of everything AFTER the call center got over the fact that we had NO cross-streets in Nowhere NV.

We just arrived back in Tonopah last nite from OR with the Freightshaker and a car trailer to rescue the toad back to OR......ahhhh the RV life........smile it's a pretty desert morning and here we go up to Fallon NV to fill up on $2.57 diesel........

Cheers,

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

US Rider will be happy to respond to your *horse* trailer - or whatever trailer you have, with or without horses on board.

.we also carry US rider for piece of mind with the horses. I am a little over coveraged but no plan is perfect. USRider does tow as far and I am not sure if they cover Motorcycles.

.we also carry US rider for piece of mind with the horses. I am a little over coveraged but no plan is perfect. USRider does tow as far and I am not sure if they cover Motorcycles.

US Rider; Had a question about the wording in their Membership Agreement which the (very polite) person on the phone was not able to answer to my satisfaction..

I promptly received an e-mail -*AND*- a phone call from Linda Lee, "Director of Operations USRider Equestrian Motor Plan".

Very "folksy" and nice lady, happy to answer everything.

You could direct questions (like the MC) to her at ....linda@usrider.org (Linda @ USRider dot org)

Motorcycle "back-up" - Your AMA membership (annual fee $45) includes towing of anything you may be driving/riding.

It's limited to 35 miles.

No "extra charge" for that benefit, but your membership must be on automatic renewal.

You can check the ERS benefits on the AMA web site. (M/ship also includes a nice magazine).

Again - if you call them - very nice person on the other end.

For questions she couldn't answer, (like towing an HDT), she was happy to furnish the number for the parent Motor Club which underwrites the plan..

BTW - didn't follow-up on the MDT/HDT question, as I'm still "saddled with" an LDT, LOL.... :(

This has been talked about before here. Below is the string of emails with the final result my Freightliner tandem axle is covered. I carry a copy with me in the truck just in case. Hope this helps you. :D

Bob,

The inquiry was sent to 2 different coordinators. Myself being the 1st to respond on the 4th asking for a picture of your vehicle. It seems a picture was sent to another coordinator in the meantime and that coordinator approved it on the 6th

I would have originally approved the vehicle if I had the photo forwarded to me.

I apologize for the confusion, but your vehicle is covered.

Thank you,

Jason Santistevan , Program Coordinator

Roadside Assistance Programs | Good Sam Ventures

64 Inverness Drive East, Englewood, CO 80112

(O) 303.728.7371 jsantistevan@goodsamfamily.com

Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 7:48 PM
To: Jason Santistevan
Subject: RE: Contact Us Email from goodsamers.com (#6179-276559999-7733)

Below I have cut and pasted a reply I have already gotten form Good Sam and I had attached a picture at that time and will again in this email reply. The answer was COVERED as you can see!!!! As a result of this response I immediately signed up for your road service.

This is not comforting having 2 possibly different response from Good Sam and it makes me think what is going on there? Anyway this is developing into me not being a happy camper!!!! It seems there is no consistency at all or no coordination. I posted in the HDT Escapee's forum how happy I was that you had me covered and also copied the response there. I am wondering if I now have to retract that comment on that forum.

I will be interested in your answer.

Hello Bob,

I included the answer from one of the Roadside Coordinators.

As you can see he answers with a very excited yes, your rig set up is covered.

Thank you for your Membership. We hope you have a great year with your travels.

Wes Robinson

Member Services

Good Sam

64 Inverness Dr East

Englewood, CO 80112-5114

T – 1-800-234-3450

Email – wrobinson@goodsamfamily.com

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:52 PM
To: Wesley Robinson
Subject: RE: RE: Contact Us Email from goodsamers.com (#6179-276559999-7733)

COVERED!

Patrick Vanderpool, Dealership Program Coordinator

(O) 303-728-7505 (F) 303-728-7305

Toll-Free 866-405-4616

pvanderpool@goodsamfamily.com

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:14 PM
To: Patrick D. Vanderpool
Subject: FW: RE: Contact Us Email from goodsamers.com (#6179-276559999-7733)

So…Would we cover this?

From: Good Sam Enterprises [mailto:IS6392_47209@is.instantservice.com]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:00 PM
To: Wesley Robinson
Subject: Fwd: RE: Contact Us Email from goodsamers.com (#6179-276559999-7733)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Feb 4, 2012 7:05:41 PM

Sent: Feb 8, 2012 8:25 AM
To: racochran@earthlink.net

Bob Cochran,

I would be interested in covering your vehicle but before I can give a definite answer I would need to see actual pictures of your Class 8 diesel truck with tandem axle or 3 axles.

Please attach a couple of pictures on your reply so I can validate if the vehicle is covered.

Thank you,

Jason Santistevan , Program Coordinator

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:22 PM

I don't know why the body of the email didn't come over so sorry...

I know you say "Protection for any vehicle you drive " but there are to many that say this and do not cover my tow vehicle and don't want to be surprised when or/if I need it. So please respond yes or no to my question:

Confirmation you will cover a Class 8 diesel truck with tandem axle or 3 axles including my 5th wheel?

If yes will keep a copy with me in case service should be denied.

Thanks.

Sent: Jan 30, 2012 9:30:45 AM

Karen,

Is there additional information so I can check to see if members vehicle
is covered?

Thank you,

Jason Santistevan, Program Coordinator

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:43 AM

Hi Jason,

Can you let me know will this members tow vehicle be covered?

Karen

Sent: Jan 27, 2012 6:38:47 PM

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

While you can see from above I have Good Sam I came across another one I have not seen at least personally. It appears gear toward the horse people but seems as though it does not matter if you are or not. It seems a bit costly but is the only one I have seen over lifetime membership. Now I don't know anything about this road assistance and have not heard good or bad. Perhaps others here have and can provide input on them from experience by themselves or someone they know. The following is the link to Travel Guard for you to look at. Good luck by the way on your search.

http://trailguard.org/

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

While you can see from above I have Good Sam I came across another one I have not seen at least personally. It appears gear toward the horse people but seems as though it does not matter if you are or not. It seems a bit costly but is the only one I have seen over lifetime membership. Now I don't know anything about this road assistance and have not heard good or bad. Perhaps others here have and can provide input on them from experience by themselves or someone they know. The following is the link to Travel Guard for you to look at. Good luck by the way on your search.

http://trailguard.org/

Yikes! - (on the annual fee)

Back to (my) post #17. - USRider = less than half the above - much more in line with other ERS (such as GS & CN, etc).

You do *not* need to be a horse owner - or towing a horse trailer.

Covers whatever you are driving and/or towing.

http://www.usrider.org/

• 4 weeks later...

Called GS today (called the number posted on Bob's email string), and just told them it was a Freightliner FLD120 tow vehicle. Took 10 min tops to get the coverage. Not sure why it was such a hassle the last time I tried to sign up. Just opted for the standard plan.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Hi Al,

I have Coachnet Platium or Platinum plus I forget which for sure. It covers the Volvo the Smart and the Hitch hiker. I have used it to tow the Volvo twice in 6 years and was quite satisfied. They handled everything and I never saw a bill for anything.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived