Replacing interior dome light with LEDs

BigRich

Okay, a new update. My son never seems to find the time so I fixed the power issue myself. I gutted the original fixture and attached these strips to it:

20170116_164958.jpg

Works perfectly, just a different color light. More blueish than the rest, but I'm going to change all the rest out as well. I repurposed the original on off toggle switch as well.

20170116_165439.jpg

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
http://rtrvg.com/blog/
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

RV_fan44, that looks great!! I might add also that I found a very inexpensive (less than 5 bucks) timer that turns the lights on and off. You set it manually to what ever time you want it to come on and off and you don't have to mess with plugging your lights in or unplugging them when you go to bed. We put some Christmas lights out and about the third time that I had to get out of bed to go unplug them I went looking and found one at Lowes!!

So I'm going to add one thing to the 10 minute project. I wasn't satisfied with the light output as compared to the original fixtures. I wound up adding four more strips for a total of eight. Even with eight, it's only slightly brighter than the florescent. But a nicer, warmer color...

rtrvgbanner_1.jpg
http://rtrvg.com/blog/
2004 Coachman, F-53, 36'

I recently helped another RV'er install under awning lights similar to yours. He opted to hook the power source up to the 12V porch light over the door which eliminated the transformer and allowed the inside switch to power the strip light. To hide the wiring, he used plastic conduit from Home Depot that had double sided tape and a cover that snapped closed. It looked very professional, sorry I don't have a picture.

Thanks for the link, I ordered a set for us, better than the $140 they paid and looks identical.

Greg

Archived