Cost of a summer on the road

We just finished about 11,000 miles on the road this summer. I've seen posts asking what it costs to travel, so here is are our costs. Just for background, we drive a Sportchassis with an ISL 9 Cummins and tow an 21000lb Mobile Suite. We stayed in any in park we liked, and spent no nights for free. We spent $4,397 on parks and $2,183 for fuel for a total of $6,580, or $53.93 per day. We feel that's not bad for a summer exploring the US and British Columbia.

In a few years, when you're sitting in your wheelchair drooling at the nursing home, you'll have a little sparkle in your eye remembering the wonderful experiences you had. At that time, you won't remember or care what it costs, only that you won't have to regret not doing it.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Working your numbers back, it looks like you spent 122 days on the road, which would make you average campground cost about $36/night. As mentioned in a recent thread about the cost of facilities near New York City being close to $100/night; nightly costs can vary widely. So far this summer, our nightly costs for paid stays has averaged $24.50 (including the cost of a nonresident New Mexico Camping Pass). We have had at least water and electric at each location. Costs ranged from $7.50 to $57.00/night. The past 2 years, campground costs for paid stays averaged $27 and $29. All of this travel has been in the lower 48.

Fuel costs can also vary pretty widely across the country. Between the East Coast and New Mexico, we have paid between $1.93 and $2.49/U.S. gallon for diesel. Just in New Mexico, prices have ranged from $2.05-$2.49/gallon. Our average fuel cost per day has been $16.10. This is primarily due to stays of between 4-12 days in one location once we arrived in New Mexico and selecting overnight locations in close proximity to the places we want to visit and things we want to do.

We just finished about 11,000 miles on the road this summer. $2,183 for fuel

That is about 20 cent per gal. That economical. Any estimate how many miles you used the Freightliner as your day traveler?

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Re the comparison of RV v Hotels. We spent a number of years traveling in our motorhome/s. Now we travel using hotels and a pickup. I'm a figures nut case!!!! I've compared about 7 years of traveling with a 40ft DP and toad to our 3 years of traveling using hotels and pickup. At the end of the day there is about 00.00 difference in costs. (Taking into account fuel, insurance, registration, repairs etc etc etc). Keeping in mind there are about a zillion variables.

IMHO the only thing you can or need to compare is lifestyle. That varies so much that it's almost a pointless exercise.

But we do still envy those doodling around in an RV.

regards

Re the comparison of RV v Hotels. We spent a number of years traveling in our motorhome/s. Now we travel using hotels and a pickup. I'm a figures nut case!!!! I've compared about 7 years of traveling with a 40ft DP and toad to our 3 years of traveling using hotels and pickup. At the end of the day there is about 00.00 difference in costs. (Taking into account fuel, insurance, registration, repairs etc etc etc). Keeping in mind there are about a zillion variables.

IMHO the only thing you can or need to compare is lifestyle. That varies so much that it's almost a pointless exercise.

But we do still envy those doodling around in an RV.

regards

One variable I find very significant. How many days/months of a year did you travel in a year, compared to the number of days of staying in the hotel and driving the pickup?

We will be traveling for 8 months this year, including 4 1/2 months on our trip to Alaska. This year is not a big exception. Last year was 6 months, the year before was about 5 months and it varies between 4 & 5 months for a few years before that.

I'm guessing it would cost us an "arm and a leg" to do this staying in motels and eating 2-3 meals a day in a restaurant.

I totally agree about the "lifestyle". It is totally different traveling in the RV versus the motel/hotel. Staying in the center of larger cities, hands down for hotel over RV.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Al Florida time wise between RV and hotels is about the same. We come to the USA for about 6 months a year. 2-4 months at a time. There are ways to save a lot of money staying in hotels. We stay in above average hotels. Joined the groups discount scheme. Get approx 1 night in 6 free with their point scheme. We have 'free' breakfast in the hotels. Eat out for lunch. Almost all hotel now have fridges and we travel with a good cooler. Carry enough goodies to eat in each night. Still manage to increase the waistline as we travel!!!

The big difference is the cost in insurance on motorhome and toad v our pickup. Fuel is also way down.

Another consideration is our travel 'style'. With the motorhome we were always limited by suitable campgrounds. Hotels are almost on every corner. So the freedom to travel as the whim takes us is/was a major factor in swamping travel styles. We have seen much more and traveled into more corners in the pickup.

We do miss our own bed and bathroom. But life is a compromise. We would never ever say that doing what we are doing is the best. It just suits us at this stage in our life.

regads

Bruce,

Thanks for replying with the duration of your travels and travel style. Good info.

For our personal travel style, the RV is much, much better. We camp mostly in scenic locations, boondocking or dry camping with a view of the outdoors. About 2 weeks ago we finished up a 4 1/2 month trip through Canada and Alaska. Out of the 139 days we only had electric hookups for 2 nights. The rest was dry camping or boondocking. Many days & nights we had very scenic views out our windows.

As you have said, lifestyle plays a big role in travel preferences.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Travel costs and 'styles' are a very individual thing. We've met folks who travel in high end motorhomes and eat out for every meal. Met ones who had never used their RV kitchen! We have also met folks who traveled in a small car with a tent. Each to their own. (In Australia we travel in our Jeep and sleep in a tent).

It's great to share figures and information. There is always something to learn. Just never try to tell folks that 'your' way is the 'best' way.

We do miss our motorhome. But circumstances dictated the change to hotel traveling. Some of our best memories are camping up a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. A recent visit to the doctor has now given me food for thought as the news has once again forced a change. But nothing or no one will ever kill off the memories.

For those procrastinating about the cost all I can say is 'just do it'.

regards

We're on the tail end of three months on the road.....I couldn't begin to tell you what we've spent. I know most of our CG cost was through Thousand Trails/State Park's and a month long stay in Branson in which at last count, we have been to 20 show's. Diesel fuel this year has been in the 2 buck a gallon range...another plus. I normally get around to figuring cost out when we get back home while thinkin to myself...spend it now, can't take it with us. I agree with the sediments above..."Just Do It"!!!

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

• 2 weeks later...

Archived