fifth vs. mh

RV

Those photos of a small Casita like RV you had a few pages back brought back thoughts of two older couples we have met over the years. We are 75 this week and those couples were 80 and 85 and still on the road for weeks at a time in Casita like trailers. One couple had convoyed down to Panama and back in their Casita. They figured they would not do that again being over 80 but planned to make it up to Alaska at least one more time.They noted that one couple on their Panama and back convoy did not have a spare tire for their trailer. You can get good tires (Michellins in big cities) anywhere for your truck but tires for small trailers are often not found in Latin America. We met a Fench couple in Yucatan that had to have tires shipped in from Quebec for their European built Class B.

Big expedition level vehicles were mentioned a few pages back as well. We ran into the same Dutch couple three times in Yucatan driving their 5-ton MAN expedition level. They were on their way back from two years from Canada to Chile and back. They had spent three years from Europe to Vietnam and back in a 10-ton MAN and then two years around Africa. They were shipping home to Nederlands for a year and then off to Australia for a couple of years. The vehicle had 2" thick polycarbonate-glass windows to prevent break-ins/road damage etc. 2" thick is proof against most firearms as well. They refused to ever stay at an RV park and just pulled off to the side of o the road. They had problems a few times with hoodlums but just turned on engine and drove off, one time right through/over the vehicle that was supposed to block them. This is several levels of adventure beyond what we would ever have chosen to do.

Reed and Elaine

Reed,

My apology. That link was totally wrong. It has been moved and I just now corrected it. The link to the actual Scamp Custom bonnie rig, hardened and literally only retaining the front of the shell is here: http://www.starling-travel.com/2015/01/28/highly-modified-1987-scamp-fifth-wheel/

The big MAN units provide a little more living space than the one in the link above, but that one is selling for $21k not $210,000.00 - $1.5million. I liked the Scamps for a couple, but can be ideal for singles or couples in the custom conversions of the Scamps I've seen lately. The most often seen modification is to jack them up to accommodate the taller truck beds today, and increase the tires to 15" or larger. There is no getting around the need for both ground clearance, and a narrow not too tall body to get through the trails other campers cannot go. This conversion was brilliant IMO.

Bulletproof required is not where I'd boondock. And I doubt you'd be able to go over them with this Scamp. But with the right FWD/AWD tow vehicle you might be able to turn off the road and get away. My religion keeps me safe if I truly follow its tenets, the fundamentals if you will. What religion? Why I'm a devout, practicing, coward! :lol:^_^

Seriously though, I am seeing more and more terrific Scamp fiver mods. Most folks aren't even aware of the fivers. I also like the solid one piece shell the eggs and their derivatives have. Not for fulltiming for us with two big dogs and two adults. But for part time trips terrific.

Here are a bunch more Scamp fivers that are modified. Some got a second axle, one was integrated on a small HDT.

Check them out here: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=scamp+fifth+wheel+modified&qpvt=scamp+fith+wheel+modified&qpvt=scamp+fith+wheel+modified&FORM=IGRE

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zulu,

The laws of physics dictate what happens when one is standing or sitting unbelted or secured in a class A non bus with the slab side frame in an emergency stop or collision, let alone a roll over. Those are not opinions. But I have no problem telling it how I see it. Getting out of bed is a calculated risk. I have no problem with anyone saying that they are aware of the possible consequences of riding in a wooden or aluminum framed cabin built for enclosure but not tested or certified for collision protection of occupants like NHTSA tested passenger cars trucks and buses are, including crash steel cages on many class C motorhomes and all steel passenger bus shell conversions.

I've seen the risks of scuba diving and helped fellow ski buffs who had accidents on the slopes. I knew the risks going in. My perspective comes in by choosing not to ride in the cabins on wheels, just sleep in them when stopped. I have ridden in them and will again. Calculated risk. Informed decisions. When we are flying we are told how much safer it is than driving.

Since the thread was about the decisions between types, I believe folks do want all the facts. If they choose motorhomes they can then think in terms of buckling up while underway, and securing items that might become projectiles. Or not.

Some risks are inherent in the design and manufacturer like frames and passenger cages. Others are up to the users like unbuckling and wandering around while underway, or leaving things out unsecured while underway.

Lots of folks have not taken any of that into account. But now, those decisions are informed decisions. No one plans for fires but have extinguishers and exit plans and some practice where emergency exits are in their RV.

Safe travels Zulu!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Jack I just saw your full 20 minute video. What a terrific rig. I am so happy for you! The sonar proprietary tank sensors, all in one panel, storage, and interior appointments are astounding as a package in a compact unit. The best part from my perspective was the one piece fiberglass roof. I just replaced the EPDM roof on our very part time but like new fiver. I put a TPO industrial roof on it to get another 10-12 years use out of it if I keep it that long.

For getting into tight places and do it in style, that is quite some rig. Sonar! Perfect. Grats bud!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

The laws of physics dictate what happens when one is standing or sitting unbelted or secured in a class A non bus with the slab side frame in an emergency stop or collision, let alone a roll over. Those are not opinions . . .

Sounds like classical physics. I'm a quantum physics guy.

Remember, Derek, brevity is the soul of wit.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

No strings attached?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 3 weeks later...

Some excellent advice here! I read the whole thing! I'm with old Sergeant Schultz - I know nothing. Except we're on our third travel trailer. Not full timing either. Yet. Also, who said $87,000 is a lot of money to some? For us, that's the truth! If selling out house, it'd be different. Seems to me, it's really about budget, money, cold solid lucres.

We hope to go semi full time in a year or so, keeping our house and 8 acres with two full RV hookups, and traveling out from there for as long as we want to. So, we'll be in the same decision making place as the OP, motor home or fifth wheel, maybe even another bigger trailer. I'm interested to see what OP (that'd be original poster for the acronym challenged like me) gets.

Speaking of acronyms, oh me, what is DW, TV (not television, I know), and some others y'all used? I finally figured out what "toad" means because someone actually spelled it "towed" on here, so I figured it meant the vehicle towed behind a motor home, aka, MH.

That old man, he don't think like no old man.

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major

"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."

SH = Significant Harassment. (my term of endurement for my spousal unit of 43 years)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

DW=Dear Wife

DH=Dear Husband

TV=tow vehicle

These are what most of us use.

Also, who said $87,000 is a lot of money to some? For us, that's the truth! If selling out house, it'd be different.

I'm one of those who do not advocate the spending of all funds from the sale one's house to purchase an RV. I can tell you from experience that no matter how sure one is that the RV can be the last house that they ever buy, circumstances can change to where you may want a stick house again and sometimes with little warning. I believe in having some sort of exit plan even when you do sell the stick house and become a permanent resident of the RV community. We have made a series of permanent moves in our lives that proved to have a point when it was time to move on, even though we didn't think that day would ever come. Planning ahead is always a wise thing to do, but just stay flexible in those long range plans.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good advice there, Kirk! That's why we keep our house and land. I love our place and its two full RV hookups!

And, thanks for those acronym helps! Oh me, I'd have never figured those out. What is CCC I keep seeing? My guess is to do with some kind of weight?

RV, Ethyl and I have been at it a bit over 43 years. I just told her I'll give her another week or two to straighten out.

That old man, he don't think like no old man.

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major

"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."

What is CCC I keep seeing? My guess is to do with some kind of weight?

CCC is cargo carrying capacity and is sometimes found on the weight rating stickers of RVs, depending upon what year it was made. Of some help with the terms relating to weights, you my find reading this article to be of some help.

You guys are just beginners. Pam & I will have been married for 53 years in December. :)

RV, Ethyl and I have been at it a bit over 43 years. I just told her I'll give her another week or two to straighten out.

At their 50th anniversary party my uncle was still introducing my aunt as his "first" wife.

my term of endurement

I can't decide if your word there was a choice or an autocorrect. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Intentional Linda! ;) We both enjoy our warped sense of humor. She says I grew on her, like a wart. I will use the first wife introduction, Love it!

I hear ya Gene! :D Sounds like you guys have fun as a couple too! After both of us being Air Force brats, then doing 27 years of our own in the AF all over the world, we don't do shows for others. I don't know when the dear wife husband etc. got started for the living. Dearly departed is the only time I'll be caught using it. :o

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

At their 50th anniversary party my uncle was still introducing my aunt as his "first" wife.

On occasion, I do that as well. It comes from the fact that so many introduce their second wife or even higher. We have been amazed by how few of our friends married young and then stayed that way. Part of what we like in the RV world is the fact that longer term marriages are much more prevalent.

We have been amazed by how few of our friends married young and then stayed that way. Part of what we like in the RV world is the fact that longer term marriages are much more prevalent.

Count us among them, please. We married at 19 (Dave was headed to Nam and we wanted what we could get before he went) and are coming up on 48 years.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We went the 5th wheel route for living space, greater selection of floor plans, less expensive, plenty of storage, many things mentioned above. We've been full time for about a year now and don't regret our decision at all. The camper is large enough for us to not feel cramped and impinging on each other. DW insisted we keep our Honda CR-V and follows behind the big rig as we relocate. We don't drive that far in a day and don't move that often that this is practical. If she drafts the rig, she can get almost 40 mpg, saving money along the way. We use FRS radios to communicate between the two vehicles and stop when needed for food, bathroom, etc. The real savings comes at the destination when we can use the smaller car rather than the big truck as our daily driver.

The 5th wheel/MH decision really is a "can't go wrong" decision. Decide what is best for your situation and go with it.

We went the 5th wheel route for living space, greater selection of floor plans, less expensive, plenty of storage, many things mentioned above. We've been full time for about a year now and don't regret our decision at all. The camper is large enough for us to not feel cramped and impinging on each other. DW insisted we keep our Honda CR-V and follows behind the big rig as we relocate. We don't drive that far in a day and don't move that often that this is practical. If she drafts the rig, she can get almost 40 mpg, saving money along the way. We use FRS radios to communicate between the two vehicles and stop when needed for food, bathroom, etc. The real savings comes at the destination when we can use the smaller car rather than the big truck as our daily driver.

The 5th wheel/MH decision really is a "can't go wrong" decision. Decide what is best for your situation and go with it.

We have a MDT and 40 ft fiver, have been fulltiming since 2001. In 2007 we decided to buy a car and I would follow behind, as dthruk mentioned, we didn't move a lot and our travel days were always short and no more than 2 or 3 days in a row before we would park for a while. As retirees we never "have" to be any place and always look at the weather forecast before we travel. We then got a dog and decided it would be better if we were all in one vehicle. soooo

This is the first summer that I have not followed in the car. We decided to rent a car when we stayed in a place for an extended period of time. We had lots of company stop in this summer so we rented a larger car than necessary but this was a testing of the idea. We enjoyed the convenience of the rental car as many times we each want to be somewhere different at the same time. Especially when we had company the guys went one way and the gals another. Next summer we will rent the least expensive car available. We used Enterprise and they would come to the RV park and pick me up and take me to the office to get the car and when it was time to turn it in they would drive me back the the RV park at the end of the contract.

A couple of tips I have learned about rental cars:

• Unless you need a larger car always reserved the smallest. They usually run out and upgrade you for free.
  • Verify with your insurance company that you are covered in a rental car.

Our MDT insurance did not cover us(even if the truck was in for repairs) and the cost of the rental car companies insurance was prohibitive. We now have a car at our home base and are covered by that policy on our rental car.

• Summer and holiday rates are more expensive then winter rates
  • There are better prices on the internet either through the rental car companies website or priceline.com etc.

It costs the company money to "grease the doors and wax the floors" so they reward the customer for self service.

• When comparing rates among rental companies always check for additional charges ie deposits (refundable or not?) and miscellaneous charges" taxes, use fees, environmental fees etc.
  • Rentals for the most part are on a 24 hour daily cycle, 7 day weekly cycle and a 30 day monthly cycle but verify as if you are an hour late they may charge you for the next day?
  • If you rent for more than a month you have to go into the office to renew, or call on the 30th day or there could be additional charges.
  • It is usually cheaper to return the car with the same amount of gas as picked it up with as the rental company charges a premium for gas and the prepaid plans are not always the most economical.

Archived