Interest in an SKP coop in New Jersey?

scole007

Hi, any interest out there in establishing a co-op in central New Jersey?

My husband and I have been full timing on and off since 2013. Lately we have come to realize that we would like to have a home base in central New Jersey for part of the year. We think a coop might be a great way to do that. If this interests you please reply to this post and I will move forward to some concrete planning if there is even some interest.

Those who have actual experience in starting coops, please post your experience as I have no clue how to proceed.

Escapee's organization is no longer investing in the co-op parks program but it isn't impossible to start one on your own. We live in a co-op community that has small homes of up to 900 square feet and an RV pad of some type. There are two main hurdles that must be addressed in order to succeed. The first is to make sure that the state laws allow that type of incorporation as a not for profit, home ownership company. If they do, then you will need to raise the capital to buy the land and put in the infrastructure. It is the initial investment that stops most such projects. All of the co-op parks that I know of were begun by someone acting as developer as Escapees did for their co-op parks, then ownership shifting to the members as the lots are sold off. In the case of both the Escapee parks and the one where we live, each lot is attached to one share of the organization that holds the deed to all of the land. The developer typically buys the land and those who buy into it then come and provide most of the labor to build things like utilities & streets, helping to keep that initial investment down and so the price of shares. As the lots sell, control shifts from the developer to the lot owners with developers completely out of management once the last lot has been sold. It is not easy to find financing for a land purchase of this type which means that either an individual must make the initial purchase or the money must be raised to pay cash.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Also you should consider if the proposed co-op is in a moderate temperature area for year-round use. I don't think of New Jersey as being so. Also, is it a destination-type area or along a popular driving route that people would want to stop.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

There is a book in the libraries of many of the Escapees Rainbow and Co-Op parks that describes the history of Escapees. I can never remember the title but I believe it was written by Kay Peterson. One chapter is devoted to the creation of the co-op parks and describes the many challenges that the early Escapees had to overcome to build a park. The two major ones were the costs of land and the regulatory burden. I think these two items might be a major issue in New Jersey compared to the rural areas of the southwest where many of the existing Escapees parks are located.

There is a book in the libraries of many of the Escapees Rainbow and Co-Op parks that describes the history of Escapees. I can never remember the title but I believe it was written by Kay Peterson.

It is called "History of the Escapees Club." I found a copy on Amazon a few years ago. I just checked and there is presently one copy available, asking $50. I paid $20 for a used copy back in 2012 and I have been told that it first sold for $15.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Having been born and raised in Monmouth County (central NJ) I'm curious as to where you are thinking.

I'd have to talk to Bill about whether we'd be interested in investing in a co-op, we both still have family in the area, in fact we will be spending the summer workamping at a CG near Mays Landing.

I agree that it would be difficult for it to be a year round park as winters are COLD - however it could also, if set up for cold weather, be a great addition to the general area for winter travelers, as choices for parks open in winter are few and far between.

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

We just moved out of Central NJ after living there for 30 years. As whj said, land cost is going to be a challenge. Regulations, taxes & generally COL will also be an issue. There is one campground in the region that has converted to an ownership model. Nice people, good ideas, but our take is that they are way undercapitalized and in a poor location. We stayed there in a park model for a couple months during the transition.

And you have to define Central NJ :). It means very different things to different people.

Wow, Thank you all for your generosity in replying. Somewhere within an hours or so of Princeton is what I had in mind, although I am thinking that I may need to think in terms of proximity to beaches.

A preliminary real estate search showed that 15 to 20 acre parcels can be had for under $200000. But that does not factor in any regulatory or development costs.

My homework this week is to find out who in the NJ government can answer the question about whether NJ allows this type of incorporation as a not for profit home ownership company and buy that book.

So .... I found the NJ statutes regulating property owners association and Proprietary campground facilities are specifically included. However, "Every master deed or certificate of incorporation for a proprietary campground facility shall prohibit the use of the property for purposes of domicile or permanent residency, unless otherwise permitted by municipal ordinance. "

I don't want to discouraged you and I think it is a great idea and

much needed. That said, if you have been in NJ for a long time, you

should know the type of obstacles you will face. I also would think that $10,000

per acre is low for property in a nice area. Good Luck

I always thought of Monmouth County (exits 120/117) as Central, but I do know others think of it as the beginning of "the shore". Living in Cliffwood Beach - when we said "down the shore" we meant Manasqaun, Brielle or even further down to Seaside Hieghts or even all the way to Wildwood. When later in life we moved to Toms River - people from that area, when talking about "the shore" - they meant Altantic City or Wildwood. Anything north of Monmouth County was "North Jersey" - "South Jersey" was more inland like Vineland or Camden. It's all perspective.

I agree that prices in the area you are looking at will be very high - may consider further south in the pineys to be more affordable - if there is such a thing in NJ.

Will be watching for updates.

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

One thing to consider about NJ is that some of us would not be welcome due to their firearms law. I have camped there but have cleaned out the camper before going.that includes all ammunition to be safe.

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

Archived