Quartzite Planning January 2016

Tucsontech

We finally get to go to Quartzite this January. As this will be our 1st time and we can stay 30 days, What are the best sources of information for planning what to do, finding activities, and figuring out where are desirable areas to park? How challenging might it be to rent a side by side ATV from somebody on occasion?

Thanks Ahead of Time For Sharing Your Knowledge With Us

I'm no Quartzsite expert or major fan, but I have been there several times during the winter so will try and help. Just type Quartzsite into Google or your favorite search engine and you will find a bunch of sources of information about the activities and locations. There are RV parks in town that you can stay in or you can just find yourself a spot out in one of the LTVA areas, but those do have a fee also. Because of Pam's problems breathing when dusty, we have never stayed outside of town but use one of the RV parks. As you gain information, come back with more specific questions and you should get some help.

I am very surprised by the lack of responses to your request since I know that we have folks on the forum who enjoy the winter gathering there. :o

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you want to boondock in Quartzsite, there are also free BLM areas on which to park, not just the fee LTVA's ($40 for 14 days or $180 for the season...9/15 through 4/15...and the permit is good at all LTVA's).

You can find a list of all the shows here:

http://www.desertusa.com/cities/az/quartzsite.html

Since we are not ATVers, I don't know about being able to rent an ATV in Quartzsite. Hopefully, someone else will be able to answer that for you.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We prefer La Posa South LTVA as it has water, dump and trash at a cost of $40 for two weeks. You can park just about anywhere out there. If you stay at the other LTVA's you will have to go the the South one to dump, reload. If you just want to camp on BLM open land there is no cost and you can stay for two weeks. If you do that you can drive into town to the Pit Stop to dump & reload and get rid of trash for $15. Trash is actually hard to get rid of as most, if not all, dumpsters in town are locked.

As far as activities go the town is relatively small and most of the action is near the RV tent show which runs January 16 to 24. It will be more crowded during that show and once it ends the traffic goes way down. There are miles of dirt roads in the area to explore and some old mining camps you can get to with an SUV. I don't know about renting a SBS from anyone in town. I would check out Yuma (they have them at $350/day), Parker or Blythe to see what they have available. You can probably find someone to ride with in their Jeep or SBS, just offer to pay for fuel. Way cheaper than renting a unit for $350/day There's a Walmart in Parker about 30 miles north and the town has two small grocery stores.

Here's a link to an activity calendar for the town. http://gosw.about.com/od/arizonatravelguide/a/quartziteevents.htm

Have fun!

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Check the Escapees Chapter pages for rallies in the Q area, you'll have a good time and meet some good folks if you attend. There are also SKP functions in the area and a club booth in the big tent to visit.

For boondocking I like Plamosa Road, north of town along 95 and the eastern end of the Dome Rock area reached by going west on the south frontage road from Q. If you are going to do a lot of shopping in Q the Dome Rock area misses a lot of the traffic.

Google has some interesting results if you search for: quartzsite atv rentals

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We are currently in Quartzsite. The LVTA sites are good as stated already. Trash is best disposed of at the LVTA sites as there are dumpsters there. We take our trash to the transfer / recycling site on the north end of town. We like staying in the 14 day Hi Jolly area also on the north end of town. ATV rentals do not exist as far as I know. For good food....Silly Al's has very good pizza and live entertainment on weekends.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

If it hasn't changed with the new owner, the fish and chips at the Grubstake (on AZ 95, north end of town) is as good as I have had on all three coasts.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I like to eat at Sweet Darlene's on the east end of town. Good food at reasonable prices. And they have long tables which encourages people to sit with strangers who may then walk out as friends. Not fast service, though, so don't go there when time is of the essence.

I pay the annual fee for the LTVA so I can dump, fill, and dispose of trash as needed throughout the season but park in various ones as groups of friends come and go. For instance I might park at the RTR in a free area then move to La Posa North with the Sprinter group, then move to La Posa South with my SKP class then maybe up to Plamosa Road when some SKP members decided to hang around longer than 2 weeks, then up to my membership park near Parker for my two weeks free stay there, then back to Las Posa South for my week out of the membership park, etc. For me the freedom to come and go all season is worth the annual fee. They don't take credit cards, though, so bring cash or check.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...

I'm in Quartzite now and am wondering if there is an RV 101 class that will be held? Also is there a smart weight scalp that us SKPers can use. I am a newer SKP member and these are two things I would like to look into.

Thanks

Steve206 499 9646

38' 2006 Beaver Monterey

Ford Focus Toad

Full Time since 11/14

"A stanger is just a good friend I haven't met yet"

Golfer Guy, on 12 Jan 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

Also is there a smart weight scalp that us SKPers can use.

I don't know if SmartWeigh will be in Quartzsite. If not, take a short trip north to the SKP park in Congress...they have the scales to weigh each corner. As I recall, the cost was around $50.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived