How to travel when you have to take narcotic?

nurso52

I am now retired and we want to travel but one problem my husband has to take narcotic due to his pain from hydrocephalis. He has to get a paper prescription from his doctor every month. Does anyone have any ideas about what others do or what we can do. I guess maybe we just can not travel. Thanks

I have not had to deal with this but it has been discussed here before. What I understand to be the best solution is for you to see if you doctor will write a postdated prescription for each of the months you will be gone. If you then use a pharmacy that is pretty much nationwide like Target or Walgreens or Walmart, they will have you on file so getting those prescriptions refilled will be easier than if you look for different phamarcies in various locations. Talk to your doctor who may also have other solutions to propose.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Last Winter I was discharged from a hospital in Florida with a written prescription for a narcotic painkiller. We went to several pharmacies and got turned away then called a couple more before we found one that would fill it. They said something like - Florida regulators, or drug enforcement?, were going after doctors and pharmacies who were writing and filling numerous prescriptions for people who didn't really need them. They said they had the pharmacies so paranoid they would get caught up in it and lose their pharmacy licence, that legitimate customers who were dying from cancer could not get the painkillers they needed.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

There is no way to get a narcotic filled across state lines. Non, not going to happen. You have to fill it within state lines. So,your options are to get a local dr (not going to happen) or do with out.

Thank the Florida doctors for this btw. They used 80% of the total volume sold US wide and forced this change.

Sent you a private message.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Ty I called all the doctors where we were going to travel and can not get the drug we need refilled. My husband doctor put him on methodone for long term pain control. So if you are heroine addict you can get it but just for pain control you are out of luck. Guess our travel plans will not happen

Make shorter trips, passing back through your home once a month or so. It may not be the ideal answer but it sure beats sitting at home and you could still see a lot of the country. You can travel quite a distance in a month.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Make shorter trips, passing back through your home once a month or so. It may not be the ideal answer but it sure beats sitting at home and you could still see a lot of the country. You can travel quite a distance in a month.

X2! I wouldn't let that hold you back. You might also find that getting away from home on month long jaunts in itself to be somewhat therapeutic for your husband.

We had to learn to plan our trips based on the pills we had on hand. We have carried a post dated script, but the rules vary by state so that is not a sure bet, in Lousiana they would only give a 10 day supply. We are part timers and have reached that point in life that we are slowing down and this is just something else we have to deal with, if we are going to travel.

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

Our MD can and does write a prescription for schedule 2 narcotics for a 2 month period due to vacation travel. Insurance company approves and the pharmacy fills.

May not be able to do this 6 times a year, but a couple of times in a row so far.

Filled at our local, regularly used pharmacy.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

There is no way to get a narcotic filled across state lines. Non, not going to happen. You have to fill it within state lines. So,your options are to get a local dr (not going to happen) or do with out.

Thank the Florida doctors for this btw. They used 80% of the total volume sold US wide and forced this change.

JC

With all due respect...This just isn't the case.

I've refilled my meds in three different states at Walgreens.

Your Dr. needs to write prescriptions for the months your gone (3 in my case) before seeing him again.

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

Our doctor wrote six months worth of postdated prescriptions and sent them to a local pharmacy that knew us well. Once a month we called and they filled the prescription and mailed to us in AZ.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

You might also check out a reliable prescription mail order service. Escapees used to have one but since I don't use mail order anymore, I don't know it's current status.

If your doctor would fax the scripts in to the mail order service each month that you will be gone, you could then call them with your "current" address if your traveling takes you to different places. Just a thought. Good Luck and let us know how you make out. I would hate to learn you could no longer travel because of meds. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

JC

As Big Z mentioned above, your statement is not entirely correct (but in most cases your point will be the case). There are still a few doctors left that have a "national prescription license" that allows them to prescribe any and all drugs at any and all pharmacies (across state lines). It is difficult to find Dr.'s with such license because the government quit issuing them about ten years ago, so no new Dr.'s can get the national licenses.

I know this because my Dr. is one of the few left to still have the national license and we have no problem getting any of our prescriptions filled, narcotic or not, in any state.

Don

JC

Archived