Snowed in Snowbirds

Wrknrvr

We stopped in Ely Nevada for a day of rest on Saturday. Rested on Sunday, Then on Monday there was windy conditions so we sat still.

Then they started saying about snow. Last night we had 4". Today there is about 14" or more.

And no snow shovel.

This is a picture of friends two spaces over from us.

Now to find a snow shovel.

Safe Travels, Vern

post-94-0-13403200-1447166364_thumb.jpeg

Yesterday I bought a snow shovel and dug out. We are about 4 hour drive from Las Vegas an it was down to 3 degrees over night. This snowbird has now decided to head south October 15 th from now on.

If you see a 5th wheel with a snow shovel on back it may be us.

Safe Travels, Vern

10 day forecasts are really great - they showed exactly when this storm would start it's march across the country, bring MUCH NEEDED snow to higher elevations. One should really use the 10 day window when planning travel.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 day forecasts are really great - they showed exactly when this storm would start it's march across the country, bring MUCH NEEDED snow to higher elevations. One should really use the 10 day window when planning travel.

Barb

Using the ten-day forecast to plan travels was so automatic for me it never occurred to me that not every one uses it! I have a bookmark for NOAA.com with my current location plugged into it. All I have to do is change the location to see what might be ahead in my travels. When headed out I usually have thee or four locations bookmarked so it is easy to check them as I travel. I watch for windy days as well as stormy ones and plan my layovers around them. Doesn't everyone?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'm like Linda - I bookmark the areas we will be going through and check each day the 10 day forecast for each area to see how things will move. That is how we came down this fall and managed to travel to both Palm Springs and Mesa, AZ on cool days with scatter rain throughout the day. 2 days before it was 100 and 2 days after it was 101. Days we traveled in the low 80s.

And most often the NOAA forecasts are spot on - now the time a storm arrives may shift a day or so - which is why I book mark several points on our route and check each morning - you quickly pick up if a storm is moving faster or slower and we adjust our travel according to how things are changing on the road ahead of us. You can't look just once and go - you need to adjust, but given the ease of checking, one should not be surprised by weather as one travels.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 days can get you pretty much out of harms way or getting thru the Rockies and driving in the rain shadow rather than getting pounded on the windward side. Paying attention to wind advisories in the Cheyenne to Douglas so you don't get blown over. Most hotels or motels have weather posted or printed.

Archived