Special Makeup Effects Artists Going Mobile/Trailer Question

MonsterMakeupFX

Just wanted to say "hello". My wife and I are special makeup effects artists for movies and television shows and we're getting ready to go full-on mobile in, most likely, a Thor Outlaw.

We are going to be towing our Subaru Outback and now we started thinking about towing it on a trailer.

If it's even feasible to tow that much weight, do RV parks let you park a car on a trailer? Most parks that I can remember seeing only allow you to park a car, or so I thought.

Thanks!

--

Joshua Adams

Special FX Artist

Inventor

Entrepreneur

A bit far from your question, but the title made me think of the following:

As a side-line to the entertainment industry, have you considered "wound moulage" ?

Many local fire and ambulance districts are mostly volunteers -- perhaps being mobile would let you assist in "making it look real" training sessions (especially in rural areas).

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and will do all we are able so don't hesitated to join in.

It will depend upon what version of the Outback you have but recent year models can only be towed on a trailer, while the earlier ones can be towed on the wheels if they have a manual transmission. Trailering can and is being done by some people but it does have issues to deal with. Many RV parks do require that trailers be parked in a location other than the RV site or in overflow parking areas. Some parks that have sites large enough to get the motorhome and trailer in them charge extra for their "big rig" sites.

You also need to concern yourself with the acceptable tongue weight of the Outback & trailer on the hitch and rear axle as well the the maximum combined weight rating and the maximum towing weight of the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't think many campgrounds will object to towing on a trailer per se. But once you unload, you have two vehicles to park instead of one, and there isn't always enough space in a campsite.

A quick check of the Outlaw models suggests the combined weight rating is only 4000 lbs higher than the coach GVW. That means, if you wanted to tow 5000 pounds of car and trailer, you'd need to lose 1000 pounds of cargo from the coach. I don't see all the cargo specs, so it'll depend how fully you load the Outlaw. But keep it in mind, an Outback and a trailer will probably be more than 4000 lbs.

For what it's worth, I had a Forester and I simply traded it for a manual transmission equivalent, which I flat-tow. I considered dollies and trailers, but they seemed too much work to load and unload, especially for one person.

I can hitch and unhitch my Forester pretty quickly, maybe 2-3 minutes. Loading and unloading a trailer looks much more involved. A lot depends on your travel style, but imagine you set up at a campground and you want to run to the grocery store. If you're staying a couple of weeks it's not such a big deal to unload, but if it's just one night, then it's an inconvenience.

I don't think many campgrounds will object to towing on a trailer per se. But once you unload, you have two vehicles to park instead of one, and there isn't always enough space in a campsite

Archived