Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mornin everyone,

today is Tuesday the 26th of Oct...have called every day to Sothern Cross about our applications (Resume's), am transfered straight to a voice mail where I leave a detailed message....and STILL no reply....it makes you wonder if they really need people????? or are they that short handed??? cuz they need employees???? oh well will still bug them every day :P have a great day...Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

Mornin everyone,

today is Tuesday the 26th of Oct...have called every day to Sothern Cross about our applications (Resume's), am transfered straight to a voice mail where I leave a detailed message....and STILL no reply....it makes you wonder if they really need people????? or are they that short handed??? cuz they need employees???? oh well will still bug them every day ;) have a great day...Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

We are waiting to see how it goes for you two

Evenin,

thought you might like to know I talked to a woman at Southern Cross today and she told me they don't hire teams, (husband/wife) until feb/march, told her to keep us in mind for anything else also....so see things are looking up :D, hang in their, she said this is surley possible for us to work together with our spouse !!! have a great day :)

susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

I trained a husband/wife team this summer in SLC. All though it is unusual for SC to hire teams they do on occasion. You must both have a vehicle and be willing to work seperately.

Most often H/W teams think they can work side by side and it seldom works that way. As someone said earlier, the explosion in Cal this year has caused a lot of stir in the Nat Gas Industry. Personally, I have been working full time since I started in April of 2009.

fulltimer since 05, traveling,working,traveling,working......

Barney and Cheryl(RIP 6/15/13) love you Baby!

I trained a husband/wife team this summer in SLC. All though it is unusual for SC to hire teams they do on occasion. You must both have a vehicle and be willing to work seperately.

Most often H/W teams think they can work side by side and it seldom works that way. As someone said earlier, the explosion in Cal this year has caused a lot of stir in the Nat Gas Industry. Personally, I have been working full time since I started in April of 2009.

Hi Barnstormers...I'm really confused, I thought a husband/wife team could work together...how do you both have a vehicle and work seperatly when you are in an RV, we thought we could ride in the same tow vehicle and work an area together???? so this is not possible for us, that's what you are tellin me???? I guess at this point I might as well stay in this truck and work here??? oh god my bubble is bursted !!!!

Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Barnstormers...I'm really confused, I thought a husband/wife team could work together...how do you both have a vehicle and work seperatly when you are in an RV, we thought we could ride in the same tow vehicle and work an area together???? so this is not possible for us, that's what you are tellin me???? I guess at this point I might as well stay in this truck and work here??? oh god my bubble is bursted !!!!

Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

Hi everybody,

just updating my status with souther cross.....this last post barnstormers told me that my self and my husband would not be able to work together...so our bubble was bursted, since we went and bought a bigger Rv, and reliable tow vehicale, and jumped through hoops to apply, and contact this company to work for them... so myself and my husband regrouped and have since gone back to truck driving....maybe theirs something else out their for us but I guess it just won't be with southern cross....:D...hope yall have a blessed year...and keep your heads up and go forward......Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

Would like to know if husband and wife could both work for SSC at the same time and same location..What is the odds you can work year round? We would need this for our soul income to live on and pay a rv payment...We have entertained this ideal along time and think we will be ready spring of 2011. We are looking for work that will totally support us.

I know this post is old, but just came back to find it here. For some reason I haven't been getting my notifications.

Anyway, here are the answers to your questions...

Yes, husband and wife teams can work together if there is enough work in the area where they send you. You can request to work sites with enough for the 2 of you.

However, you must work out of separate cars. You will not be riding around together in one car.

On rare occasions (VERY rare) they may have some transmission line work where you both can work out of the same vehicle, but even then, only one person will be paid full pay. The other one will get $6 hr, no per diem or fuel allowance.

There have been instances where they let 2 techs ride in one vehicle, but that is usually when there is work in very bad neighborhoods and it is otherwise unsafe for only 1 tech to do the work.

Yes, you can work year round. Just let them know you want to work year round and they will try to find work for you all year.

In previous posts, I've answered your questions about what you can expect to make. You can go back and read those posts to find the rest of the info you need.

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

Sorry Susan, I never got a notification of your last two posts. I think Jwalker answered you questions pretty straight up. Sorry that it won't work out like you planned. I had a really busy yr with Southern Cross. I walked 1530 miles in 2010. This yr has been a little slower start partly due to vehicle breakdowns and projects spread across the country. Oklahoma to Tucson to Pueblo to Alabama. see ya down the road. I'll be the one walking down the side of the road!

Barney

Sorry Susan, I never got a notification of your last two posts. I think Jwalker answered you questions pretty straight up. Sorry that it won't work out like you planned. I had a really busy yr with Southern Cross. I walked 1530 miles in 2010. This yr has been a little slower start partly due to vehicle breakdowns and projects spread across the country. Oklahoma to Tucson to Pueblo to Alabama. see ya down the road. I'll be the one walking down the side of the road!

Barney

hahahahahah walkin down the side of the road, you crack me up that's funny :D, what great exercise !! bet your fit and trim !....anyway..that's ok to both of you guys for all your help and reply's.....I just misunderstood this whole work program....so if it's ment to be this will happen....if not I'll see ya down the road...I'll be the one drivin down it in an 18 wheeler :P

Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

I know this post is old, but just came back to find it here. For some reason I haven't been getting my notifications.

Anyway, here are the answers to your questions...

Yes, husband and wife teams can work together if there is enough work in the area where they send you. You can request to work sites with enough for the 2 of you.

However, you must work out of separate cars. You will not be riding around together in one car.

On rare occasions (VERY rare) they may have some transmission line work where you both can work out of the same vehicle, but even then, only one person will be paid full pay. The other one will get $6 hr, no per diem or fuel allowance.

There have been instances where they let 2 techs ride in one vehicle, but that is usually when there is work in very bad neighborhoods and it is otherwise unsafe for only 1 tech to do the work.

Yes, you can work year round. Just let them know you want to work year round and they will try to find work for you all year.

In previous posts, I've answered your questions about what you can expect to make. You can go back and read those posts to find the rest of the info you need.

Hi JWalker.....I have one real good question.....how can you work out of seperate cars when you only have one tow vehicle attached to your RV?????? do they expect you to buy another one when you get to where your going to be working??????......and I understand about the money aspect....but sometimes in life their is a trade off to get a different life style.....etc...anyway thanks for all your time and information and answers.....have ah good one :)

Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

Hi JWalker.....I have one real good question.....how can you work out of seperate cars when you only have one tow vehicle attached to your RV?????? do they expect you to buy another one when you get to where your going to be working??????......and I understand about the money aspect....but sometimes in life their is a trade off to get a different life style.....etc...anyway thanks for all your time and information and answers.....have ah good one :)

Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

Well Susan... I have some good answers for you :D

In our case, in the beginning, we traveled with an additional car, i.e., RV towing one car and one of us driving a 2nd car following. Our 2nd car was a Honda Insight hybrid so, the additional gas to bring a 2nd car to and from the worksites wasn't too much of an issue (these cars get 50 mpg)

Btw, along our travels, we met many RVer's who did the same thing. Especially people towing 5th wheels. The 2nd vehicle was usually for the female spouse who didn't work and didn't want to be stuck at the campground all day while her husband worked or were uncomfortable driving a big ol' truck. (many older women still will not even consider driving a pickup truck)

After the 1st year, we were sent to the famous CA job to start our 2nd year work. (it is famous because the pay on that job was nowhere near what SCC usually paid) We had already decided not to bring along 2 cars because we no longer wanted to drive separately.

In the beginning of the CA job, we were allowed to work out of the same car. That lasted about 2 months. Then they decided we could no longer do that. So, since the pay was so good, we decided it would benefit us to go ahead and rent a car for one of us to work out of while the other one worked out of our tow vehicle. As long as we both got full pay, we were still able to clear a huge chunk of change even with having to pay out $500 extra a month for a rental car.

There were other husband/wife teams on that job. They did the same thing...paid for a rental car, although some did actually buy a used car while they were there, then sold it when the job was finished.

The CA job was not a normal SCC job. The pay was 5 times higher than what they regularly pay. On a normal SCC job, you would not even come close to being able to pay for a rental without losing money.

Also, one big bone of contention with quite a few people who are no longer with SCC was when fuel prices started to skyrocket, SCC refused to up the vehicle allowance pay. And, as we all know, when gas prices went up, so did most everything else (such as campground fees and things like that). SCC refused to up the hourly pay or per diem to compensate for the higher living expenses. So, a lot of people just moved on to other things instead of continually fighting for pay commensurate with the costs they were encountering. The people that stayed were the ones that were working there mostly for something to do and not because they need the money to survive. (they all had some sort of other money coming in, such as retirement pension, etc.)

Bottom line is, if you want to do a job, any job, it is your responsibility to figure out a way to get the job done. The employer's responsibility is to tell you want they want done and how much they are going to pay you to do it.

If it's not economically feasible for you to do the required job for the offered pay, then you shouldn't take the job.

jwalker

Well Susan... I have some good answers for you :rolleyes:

In our case, in the beginning, we traveled with an additional car, i.e., RV towing one car and one of us driving a 2nd car following. Our 2nd car was a Honda Insight hybrid so, the additional gas to bring a 2nd car to and from the worksites wasn't too much of an issue (these cars get 50 mpg)

Btw, along our travels, we met many RVer's who did the same thing. Especially people towing 5th wheels. The 2nd vehicle was usually for the female spouse who didn't work and didn't want to be stuck at the campground all day while her husband worked or were uncomfortable driving a big ol' truck. (many older women still will not even consider driving a pickup truck)

After the 1st year, we were sent to the famous CA job to start our 2nd year work. (it is famous because the pay on that job was nowhere near what SCC usually paid) We had already decided not to bring along 2 cars because we no longer wanted to drive separately.

In the beginning of the CA job, we were allowed to work out of the same car. That lasted about 2 months. Then they decided we could no longer do that. So, since the pay was so good, we decided it would benefit us to go ahead and rent a car for one of us to work out of while the other one worked out of our tow vehicle. As long as we both got full pay, we were still able to clear a huge chunk of change even with having to pay out $500 extra a month for a rental car.

There were other husband/wife teams on that job. They did the same thing...paid for a rental car, although some did actually buy a used car while they were there, then sold it when the job was finished.

The CA job was not a normal SCC job. The pay was 5 times higher than what they regularly pay. On a normal SCC job, you would not even come close to being able to pay for a rental without losing money.

Also, one big bone of contention with quite a few people who are no longer with SCC was when fuel prices started to skyrocket, SCC refused to up the vehicle allowance pay. And, as we all know, when gas prices went up, so did most everything else (such as campground fees and things like that). SCC refused to up the hourly pay or per diem to compensate for the higher living expenses. So, a lot of people just moved on to other things instead of continually fighting for pay commensurate with the costs they were encountering. The people that stayed were the ones that were working there mostly for something to do and not because they need the money to survive. (they all had some sort of other money coming in, such as retirement pension, etc.)

Bottom line is, if you want to do a job, any job, it is your responsibility to figure out a way to get the job done. The employer's responsibility is to tell you want they want done and how much they are going to pay you to do it.

If it's not economically feasible for you to do the required job for the offered pay, then you shouldn't take the job.

I am very confussed still...from reading thru the post it looks like the money is good with the perdiem..and they pay for relocation..You have cost for gas going to work pretty much anywhere you work... Do you use this job for your soul support? And do you work alone or with both of you full time..

We also were looking forward to one day working together at SCC

Well Susan... I have some good answers for you :rolleyes:

oooooooohhhhhhhh now I get it !!!! thanks for the clarification :), I can deal with all that, now that you put it to me straight..thank you !!! and as for some women not wanting to dirve a pick up truck, well they are just broken, cuz that's my vehical of choice :)

thanks Jwalker for every thing and all the answers.... have a great day and god bless :)

Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

I am very confussed still...from reading thru the post it looks like the money is good with the perdiem..and they pay for relocation..You have cost for gas going to work pretty much anywhere you work... Do you use this job for your soul support? And do you work alone or with both of you full time..

We also were looking forward to one day working together at SCC

delsorp...

Your statement "looks like the money is good" is arbitrary. What may seem "good" to you may not be good for others. All of us have different needs as far as compensation is concerned.

They do not pay for "relocation". They pay you a set rate per mile for fuel to travel to the city you will be working in. If you don't use all of what they give you, you can keep it. If you do use all of it or go over, you are at a loss.

The cost of gas while you are working is a set rate. Again, if you are able to stay within that, you are ok. If not, you lose. One should keep in mind, the "fuel allowance" is for more than fuel. It includes upkeep and the extra insurance you have to pay to drive your personal vehicle for business purposes. In this case, most of the time what they give you will not cover your expenses. You can get close, but will most likely pay out more than you get to offset the total vehicle costs.

Some people use this job for their sole support. Some use it as something to do.

We worked both full time. But as I already wrote in my post above, we drove 2 cars and/or rented an extra car to be able to do that. On the CA job, the cost of a rental was no problem. On a regular job, we wouldn't be able to have done this. We would have ended up paying them to work!

Again, for the 9000th time... if you want to work for then as a husband/wife/ team either full or part-time, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK TOGETHER IN THE SAME CAR!!! You will have to have 2 SEPARATE WORK VEHICLES PLUS YOUR RV!

If another job like the CA one comes up, and you get sent there, then maybe you can rent a car for the 2nd one. But on a regular job, you would only clear about $500 a week. And that includes all pay, per deim and fuel allowance working a 50 hour week! A rental car will cost you at least that much, thus really not feasible on a regular job. You'd be working just to pay for the rental.

The posts in this thread are quite comprehensive and explain fully what it is like to work for SCC. Anyone coming here to find info should go back, read the entire thread, and most, if not all your questions should be answered.

jwalker

• 1 month later...

delsorp...

Your statement "looks like the money is good" is arbitrary. What may seem "good" to you may not be good for others. All of us have different needs as far as compensation is concerned.

They do not pay for "relocation". They pay you a set rate per mile for fuel to travel to the city you will be working in. If you don't use all of what they give you, you can keep it. If you do use all of it or go over, you are at a loss.

The cost of gas while you are working is a set rate. Again, if you are able to stay within that, you are ok. If not, you lose. One should keep in mind, the "fuel allowance" is for more than fuel. It includes upkeep and the extra insurance you have to pay to drive your personal vehicle for business purposes. In this case, most of the time what they give you will not cover your expenses. You can get close, but will most likely pay out more than you get to offset the total vehicle costs.

Some people use this job for their sole support. Some use it as something to do.

We worked both full time. But as I already wrote in my post above, we drove 2 cars and/or rented an extra car to be able to do that. On the CA job, the cost of a rental was no problem. On a regular job, we wouldn't be able to have done this. We would have ended up paying them to work!

Again, for the 9000th time... if you want to work for then as a husband/wife/ team either full or part-time, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK TOGETHER IN THE SAME CAR!!! You will have to have 2 SEPARATE WORK VEHICLES PLUS YOUR RV!

If another job like the CA one comes up, and you get sent there, then maybe you can rent a car for the 2nd one. But on a regular job, you would only clear about $500 a week. And that includes all pay, per deim and fuel allowance working a 50 hour week! A rental car will cost you at least that much, thus really not feasible on a regular job. You'd be working just to pay for the rental.

The posts in this thread are quite comprehensive and explain fully what it is like to work for SCC. Anyone coming here to find info should go back, read the entire thread, and most, if not all your questions should be answered.

[/quot

Hi Yall,

just wanted to say hi to every one and see what's up with SCC......:o

• 5 months later...

can anyone tell me more about the traveling survey technetion job with Southern Cross Corp. I have sent in an application already about a week ago. How long does it take to find out about the job. Is there anyone to contact to get an interview and speed up the process. I am very interested in doing it full time. thanks

While it may be tedious, all the answers to your questions are in the previous posts. Hopefully Jan, a previous employee of Southern Cross, or one of the guys now, or recently working, for Southern Cross. I seriously looked into working for them several years ago and submitted an application but for unrelated reasons withdrew my application. The one message I got out of this whole thread and my limited efforts is if you want to work for Southern Cross you need to be aggressive about following up on your application. The contact I was given has moved on (e.g. died, I believe) but there is his replacement somewhere in the thread. If you are in decent physical condition and like working outside in not too strenuous work, this may be for you. I still have it in the the back of my mind, if my circumstances allow it.

Hope this helps you; I expect you will get some more current info shortly.

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

can anyone tell me more about the traveling survey technetion job with Southern Cross Corp. I have sent in an application already about a week ago. How long does it take to find out about the job. Is there anyone to contact to get an interview and speed up the process. I am very interested in doing it full time. thanks

i

I have been with Southern Cross for 2 1/2 yrs. It can be challenging at times but it is rewarding. Contact Lidice. she is the head recruiter. you may also talk to Sherman Carlton. but he will more than likely refer you to Lidice.

this thread is getting old and quite cumbersome. I had thought of doing an update but there is so much info here I hated to start over.

the jobs are there. We need reliable help

Barney

FYI - Bob Arnold, the guy that started this thread years ago is no longer on the forum so you will not hear from him. However, all the answers & info you need is in this thread. The key is to submit your application and then follow up again and again with the company. The application is on their website which is listed in the thread a number of times or you can Google Southern Cross corp. Barny has a replied a day or two ago and is with them and may be a good resource too. He has posted informative info since he started with them several years ago. Good luck.

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

FYI - Bob Arnold, the guy that started this thread years ago is no longer on the forum so you will not hear from him. However, all the answers & info you need is in this thread. The key is to submit your application and then follow up again and again with the company. The application is on their website which is listed in the thread a number of times or you can Google Southern Cross corp. Barny has a replied a day or two ago and is with them and may be a good resource too. He has posted informative info since he started with them several years ago. Good luck.

OOh I see, Thanks. I was not paying attention to the dates. I'll be doing that today thanks man.

• 5 weeks later...