Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Thanks Barney, will do, and have a very merry christmas and happy new year !!!!

Susan

Hey Susan, shot you an e-mail on another driver Opportunity you may also be interested in, let me know if you got it...Good luck w/ your job search.... :rolleyes:

Edited by brettandtrinawilliams

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey gys whats up at souther cross for this new year?????

Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

still working. not sure where I was last time we talked. been In Tenn, Georgia, Alabama since the first of the year. will be in SW Alabama till mid March I think then off to the west. Lots of work nationwide.

Call Sherman, he can elaborate.

Barney

fulltimer since 05, traveling,working,traveling,working......

Barney and Cheryl(RIP 6/15/13) love you Baby!

Bob

I recently bought my rig and am looking for a workamping job now, hadn't thought of something like this till I saw your post. still with them? happy? was curious if anyone took your advice and joined the company and how it worked out.

Bill

No I don't offen travel to home on weekend. Altho right now I'm in Austin and will be going home over the July 4th holiday. When I work I live in my Motorhome and we close our place up in Mission.

The job annoucement will usely state how long the job should last, give or take two weeks. They will want you to stay until the job is completed.

If you want short jobs then tell them up front.

One thing that usely happens with new people is that they thing the job is a lot of travel. When its not they get disapointed.

Last year I started in the middle of March going to Deaton, Tx, then mineral wells, weatherford, tx and then to Albany, Al and finishing in Jackson, Ms in Late October.

This year Breckenridge and Graham, Tx, now in Austin, July back to Mineral Wells and weatherford. Then we'll see what else is open.

Would like to go east to the Carolinia's for short job. That way I can that my coach to the factory for service and visit my dads grave in SC. If no job comes open that interest me, then home until next March.

I have and will continue my needs and plans with the company, and hopefully their job match both our needs. All subject to change with alittle give an take.

Bob

still working. not sure where I was last time we talked. been In Tenn, Georgia, Alabama since the first of the year. will be in SW Alabama till mid March I think then off to the west. Lots of work nationwide.

Call Sherman, he can elaborate.

Barney

Hey Barney, real good hearing from u, thought every one ran off, hahahaha...have to do some mechanical work on the rv before I get ahold of sherman, cuz I want to be ready to roll anywhere the minute I contact hime, cuz I'm ready and willing to WORK, but my RV has a mind of its own, it doesnt want to go vroom vroom.....but I'm work that out as we speak....hopefully soon so I can start my new life on the road..keep in touch an it's real good knowing ur still out there doing it !!!!!

Thanks Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

Bob

I recently bought my rig and am looking for a workamping job now, hadn't thought of something like this till I saw your post. still with them? happy? was curious if anyone took your advice and joined the company and how it worked out.

Bill

Bill,

FYI, the OP (Bob Arnold) seems to have long ago forgotten this thread, so I doubt you will get a response from him.

My suggestion to you would be to read this entire thread from the beginning. Most anything you will want to know will probably have already been asked and answered.

I used to work for SCC. All the info in this thread still applies, good and bad. Nothing much has changed with how they do things there, what the job is like, and the pay. All phone numbers and website are still correct for contacting the company and you will still have to hound them to get a return phone call. Everyone does so I think they expect to be hounded.

If you have a question that hasn't been covered in this thread, feel free to ask. There are people still following it that currently work there, and I'm sure they will be happy to help answer any questions you have.

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

• 1 month later...

Husband emailed me the link to this thread and it has me considering. However, we have two small children (ages 5 and almost 1 yr) with another due next month. The idea of being able to work and travel really appeals to me. Are there any parents of younger children on here that could answer some questions for me?

Thanks! :)

Husband emailed me the link to this thread and it has me considering. However, we have two small children (ages 5 and almost 1 yr) with another due next month. The idea of being able to work and travel really appeals to me. Are there any parents of younger children on here that could answer some questions for me?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I don't have young kids but have many RV'ing friends that do traveling jobs with their small children in tow (no pun intended).

I could probably answer some questions for you. You're welcome to post them here or email me directly at:

janree at aol dot com

(of course remove the words "at" and "dot" and insert the proper symbols before sending :) )

jwalker

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to this conversation. Southern Cross is actively seeking travelers for their workforce. there are projects located across the country.

if interested please call Rich Weinert 1-404-569-6293, 7:30-4:30 Mon-Fri. Please reference Barney when you speak to him

Barney

• 1 month later...
Just an update to this conversation. Southern Cross is actively seeking travelers for their workforce. there are projects located across the country.

if interested please call Rich Weinert 1-404-569-6293, 7:30-4:30 Mon-Fri. Please reference Barney when you speak to him

Barney

thanks for the info and the number...will give a call and see what happens...

Thanks Susan

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

I'm Bob Arnold, I started this thread when I worked for Southern Cross. I had to leave because of medical reason, but would still be working for them if I could. Sherman called me since he knew I had this thread, and because people would mention my name when they called. They are hiring daily, no teams anymore, he also sent me this notice.

Southern Cross has a new contract for changing out gas meters. This project includes changing out meters, cleaning and painting associated piping, inspections for safety and re-lighting of gas appliances.

Project starts in Charleston/Summerville, SC. Length of project is 2 years but we need start up personnel for 2 months.

Project training starts July 6.

If you would like to be considered for this project, please contact Sherman Carlton or Frank Petroski immediately. Contact information is below.

This is a unique opportunity to be part of a new project. Or, if you know someone with re-light knowledge and/or experience and is interested, the can contact Frank or Sherman.

Frank T. Petroski, Jr.

Executive Vice President

Southern Cross Corp.

fpetroski@southerncrosscorp.com

(O)770.441.0403

©770.335.8226

From time to time I will post jobs as Sherman send them to me< but it would be best if someone that worked for them now, would take over and provide current information.

Best of luck to you all

Bob Arnold

Edited by Bob Arnold

Meter Technician

Category:

Technician

Type:

Employee

Description:

Job# 1526.

Southern Cross Corp. has immediate openings for Natural Gas Meter Technicians.

Work Schedule: Mon-Fri

Work Location: Milwaukee, WI

And a similar assignment in South Carolina

Primary Duties and Responsibilities:

·Report to Gas Company as a representative of Southern Cross Corp.

·Job entails extensive walking over varying terrain, and in varying weather conditions.

·Detect, locate, and evaluate meters using prescribed procedures.

·Report leaks to Gas Company under contract.

·Complete required paperwork and sketches.

·Read Gas Company maps.

·Perform light manual labor. Follow all safety guidelines. Assist in training survey technician trainees and others.

·Survey Technician is responsible for the proper operation, field maintenance, and security of all assigned equipment.

Requirements:

Experience is an asset, but not mandatory.

Education/Special Skills:

·High School Diploma or equivalent; valid Driver's License.

·Must have legible neat handwriting and be able to do simple location sketches.

·Must be able to read, write and understand English.

Interrelationship and/or Supervisory Skills Needed:

·Must be able to service and maintain meter set and be able report conditions to the Gas Company.

·Must enter private property to service meters and be able to respond to questions from the public without causing undue anxiety.

·Must be able to coordinate survey with Gas Company personnel.

Training: Company provided training.

Salary of $11.00/hr during training.

Paid $11.00-$14.00/hr once trained and certified.

Requirements: Employment is contingent upon acceptable completion of substance abuse screening and criminal background checks.

Milwaukee , WI and South Carolina

Minimum Experience (yrs):

Required Education:

High School/GED

Bob Arnold

Meter Technician

Category:

Technician

Type:

Employee

Description:

Job# 1526.

Southern Cross Corp. has immediate openings for Natural Gas Meter Technicians.

Work Schedule: Mon-Fri

Work Location: Milwaukee, WI

And a similar assignment in South Carolina

Primary Duties and Responsibilities:

·Report to Gas Company as a representative of Southern Cross Corp.

·Job entails extensive walking over varying terrain, and in varying weather conditions.

·Detect, locate, and evaluate meters using prescribed procedures.

·Report leaks to Gas Company under contract.

·Complete required paperwork and sketches.

·Read Gas Company maps.

·Perform light manual labor. Follow all safety guidelines. Assist in training survey technician trainees and others.

·Survey Technician is responsible for the proper operation, field maintenance, and security of all assigned equipment.

Requirements:

Experience is an asset, but not mandatory.

Education/Special Skills:

·High School Diploma or equivalent; valid Driver's License.

·Must have legible neat handwriting and be able to do simple location sketches.

·Must be able to read, write and understand English.

Interrelationship and/or Supervisory Skills Needed:

·Must be able to service and maintain meter set and be able report conditions to the Gas Company.

·Must enter private property to service meters and be able to respond to questions from the public without causing undue anxiety.

·Must be able to coordinate survey with Gas Company personnel.

Training: Company provided training.

Salary of $11.00/hr during training.

Paid $11.00-$14.00/hr once trained and certified.

Requirements: Employment is contingent upon acceptable completion of substance abuse screening and criminal background checks.

Milwaukee , WI and South Carolina

Minimum Experience (yrs):

Required Education:

High School/GED

Bob Arnold

your a sweet heart Bob, thanks for all the info you give all of us that are interested in this type of work.....for this company. I have made calls but no reply, I will not give up though..somebody's gotta need me for something hahahahaha Susan.

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

your a sweet heart Bob, thanks for all the info you give all of us that are interested in this type of work.....for this company. I have made calls but no reply, I will not give up though..somebody's gotta need me for something hahahahaha Susan.

sperrymail2@yahoo.com

Hey Bob, thanks for posting the info on the new project. Good friend of mine will be one of the managers on the South Carolina work.

on a side note Sherman went in for a few test last week, and ended up having a couple of stints put in. all is well and he is expected back to work in a week or so.

We have a 6 man team working in Salt Lake City this summer and have trained 4 new techs so far for other projects around the country.

Any one still interested should contact Rich Wienert (404-569-6293)if you can't get through to Kelcy.

Barney

• 2 months later...
Call them. They are hiring for California

Thanks. I have applied to them, faxed in my paperwork, background check info, etc etc and have heard nothing. Ive followed up a couple of times but still no answer. Im 58 Y/O, been out of work a looong time, much of the reason Im not working, besides economy, I feel is due to my age. 2-3 years ago I could get a job in a couple weeks, even had people calling me to work, now everytime I interview I get the distinct impression from interviewer, once they see/know my age, Im too old. Im not a fat, out of shape 58 YO, Ive even taken to sending pictures of myself w/applications to show people that, none the less, here I am still unemployed. Im thinking its probably the same with SC. Maybe I will contact them again next week anyway, thanks for the info.

Walt

Thanks. I have applied to them, faxed in my paperwork, background check info, etc etc and have heard nothing. Ive followed up a couple of times but still no answer. Im 58 Y/O, been out of work a looong time, much of the reason Im not working, besides economy, I feel is due to my age. 2-3 years ago I could get a job in a couple weeks, even had people calling me to work, now everytime I interview I get the distinct impression from interviewer, once they see/know my age, Im too old. Im not a fat, out of shape 58 YO, Ive even taken to sending pictures of myself w/applications to show people that, none the less, here I am still unemployed. Im thinking its probably the same with SC. Maybe I will contact them again next week anyway, thanks for the info.

Walt

Walt,

You obviously don't know much about SCC and the people they hire to do gas line work. Probably 85% of the people that work as gas line techs for them are over 65. I worked with people that were in their late 70's!

They advertise on Workamper.com, whose main demographic is retired folks who travel in RV's.

It is well known that you have to pester SCC constantly to get them to do anything. Go back and read this entire thread. It will tell you exactly what to expect and how to get them to respond to you.

In short, you will have to hound the crap out of them. They are very lax on calling people back even if they are in need of workers. And I know for sure they are in dire need of workers at the moment.

Just FYI...One thing that will keep them from hiring you is bad handwriting. That's why they have you fill out the application on paper and send it to them. So they can see if your handwriting is legible.

jwalker

Thanks, I will really bug them next week. I did initially call Rich Weinert, left a message, was answered later by someone named Lidice Valeriano, who sent me the app/background check which I filled in, neatly, and returned via fax. In her email she said to contact her rather than managers as they are very busy, so guess I will bug her, Lidice, more next week as Ive not heard back.

Thanks again for info,

Walt

Walt,

You obviously don't know much about SCC and the people they hire to do gas line work. Probably 85% of the people that work as gas line techs for them are over 65. I worked with people that were in their late 70's!

They advertise on Workamper.com, whose main demographic is retired folks who travel in RV's.

It is well known that you have to pester SCC constantly to get them to do anything. Go back and read this entire thread. It will tell you exactly what to expect and how to get them to respond to you.

In short, you will have to hound the crap out of them. They are very lax on calling people back even if they are in need of workers. And I know for sure they are in dire need of workers at the moment.

Just FYI...One thing that will keep them from hiring you is bad handwriting. That's why they have you fill out the application on paper and send it to them. So they can see if your handwriting is legible.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a call from a front person who was responding to my application. She is sending a test via email, that should be followed up by a supervisor if I pass the test.

Question is, will is be worthwhile for me to travel to Georgia from California for the training? It will cost me almost $700 in diesel fuel just to get there.

And then only $92 per week for using my own vehicle during the week for transportation.

It sounded like a good idea when I applied.

Any answers from those who are working for Southern Cross?

I just received a call from a front person who was responding to my application. She is sending a test via email, that should be followed up by a supervisor if I pass the test.

Question is, will is be worthwhile for me to travel to Georgia from California for the training? It will cost me almost $700 in diesel fuel just to get there.

And then only $92 per week for using my own vehicle during the week for transportation.

It sounded like a good idea when I applied.

Any answers from those who are working for Southern Cross?

You don't have to come to GA for training. They can train you other places closer to where you are. They are supposed to pay for your transport to the training place anyway (at least a minimal amount). They've got tons of people in CA right now and many others in the western US that could train you.

You have to be VERY persistent when it comes to these things. If they (SCC) think you don't know about the paid transport or training in other, closer places, they won't say anything to you about it.

This is one of the reasons we decided to look for work elsewhere. A lot of people get perks there that others don't get because if you don't say something about getting them, SCC won't tell you your eligible. Cheaper for them to say nothing and only give to the ones who know they should be paid for such things.

FYI, if you pass the training, you can plan to make the equivalent of about $15 an hour (wage, vehicle allowance, and per diem combined) Of course, then you must subtract your expenses (mostly fuel) from that to get your final number.

What kind of test are they emailing you?

jwalker

I worked for a large gas company for 27 years and the Southern Cross people came in almost every year to help us with leak survey. It's a good bet that with the pipeline explosion in California a while back most companies will be stepping up leak surveys .Southern Cross could be potentially very in demand.

full time for 17 months Rving no longer an option but it was great while it lasted.

"What kind of test are they emailing you?"

It turned out to be one of those psychobabel "Do you think most people..." and so forth. It is the kind of personality test that I always fail. ;^)

So I went to the linked site, took the test and now I wait. The person who called me said that after SC had a chance to review my answers, someone may get in touch with me. I won't be holding my breath. I do thank you for your information, because I was led to believe that I would have to drive to Georgia for training. If that can be done closer to the west coast it will make the decision easier to make.

Does SC still allow you to work as little as you want? Meaning when you complete an assignment, can you choose not to take another assignment right away, and not damage the working relationship?

With my retirement I have to becareful how much I make, or I get penalized.

Thanks again for keeping an eye on this older thread.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to know if husband and wife could both work for SSC at the same time and same location..What is the odds you can work year round? We would need this for our soul income to live on and pay a rv payment...We have entertained this ideal along time and think we will be ready spring of 2011. We are looking for work that will totally support us.