Tools and Such!

Nomad Hiker

Hi Escapees!

Well, first let me say, we are now South Dakota residents! One more thing ticked off the list. As I type, we are headed to sign the papers on our 5th wheel that came in a few days ago! Things are really popping! I searched the site, and I'm sure with all the info on here, there must be a list somewhere, but perhaps I'm just too brain dead at the moment to find it, BUT...What are "must-have" tools to carry with us when we head out in April. We have wiled away our drive by talking about what to get rid of and what to keep for a while...AND what to take. Do we need a shovel? What else? Let me qualify that we are brand spanking new to Rving, our rig is new so will be under warranty. Owned houses, and have a plethora of tools, but just want to take only necessities due to weight and space.

Thanks,

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

It all depends on what you are comfortable doing. I sometimes carry a wire feed welder and plasma cutter. I have all the wrenches, sockets, hammers, etc that I need for most I would do. If I need a new tool I will buy it. I also have a table top drill press with me right now. If I have plans to do something, I will load special tools I would need. Example I will leave the welder in Sacramento this April. If you have a newer cvehicle or warranty, you will not need as many tools. Think about the repairs you have done in the past year and what tools you used. That should be a comfortable start.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Tool lists are very subjective because no two of us have the exact same skill sets. But there are some basics that everyone should carry and if they don't know how to use them, make an effort to learn because of the frequency of need. I'll start with some very basic, everyone type of tools and I am certain that the list will grow with time and eventually also become quite diversified. One very important thing to always remember above anything on anyone's list is, carry only tools that you will actually use.

claw hammer, pliers, water-pump pliers, adjustable wrench in 6" and 8", needle nose pliers, side cutters, some type of basic saw, magnetic tip screw driver with multiple tips including the square drive ones, hacksaw, simple multi-meter, wire splicing kit, and an assortment of nuts & bolts.

If you are mechanical, then tools for that and for woodworkers, tools for that. I carry wood tools and also some additional electrical tools.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Number one, I would suggest is a multi-meter and go from there.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I don't carry a wide variety of tools. I haul a toolbox with socket sets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc., and my electrical bag. My most important "tool" is my roadside assistance contract, think about Coach-net, or Good Sam. Some RV mfgrs. include the first year of an ERS contract in the purchase.

With a new RV warranty there isn't much you can do yourself except maybe change a tire, and ERS will do that onsite; the roadside assistance contract provides a tow-in if required, to the nearest approved repair center for your RV brand.

You have a 5th wheel trailer; the best advice I can offer for towing is to always keep the tires inflated to sidewall max. pressure, and keep them balanced, as most tires on a trailer run very close to their maximum capacity continually.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If you don't have the right tool for the job, make sure these tools are available: A VISA card or Mastercard, because you will eventually have a problem that is beyond your ability, and if you want to get on the road soon after a problem occurs, especially after the warranty is up, cash or a card will be a very important tool.

"It all depends on what you are comfortable doing." That's the most important thing. I don't think I ever used anything besides a screwdriver to tighten loose screws on my Fantastic Fan. Other than that, roadside service, warranty service, or friends camped nearby with more experience took care of my needs. I'd rather buy treats for those friends than take a chance on screwing up something.

Yes, I had and used a flashlight many times but I guess I never thought of that as a tool as it didn't live in a toolbox and I used it mostly to get me home from group campfires.

Oh, I also used a tape measure to help decide what storage containers to buy.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

As has others have said, it depends on your ability and your needs. When we had our auction I sold most of my tools because "I won't be needing those anymore." Then we started working with Laborers For Christ, and I had to buy all of those tools (and then some) back again. Now Laborers is in transition, and it may be that I'll never work for them again.

As for what you need, the basic hand tools mentioned above is a good starting point. I'd add a decent cordless drill or driver (I carry both), and a battery-operated LED worklight. The one I have was $60 or so at Home Depot and came with a wall wart charger.

Of course your BEST tools will be a cell phone and a credit card with a high limit. <grin>

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I find a camera is an excellent tool. I use the cell phone as well as a small Camera. When working on the RV there is lots a tight places but I can stick my hand in to take pictures. Some pictures show how to put items back together or to read the hard to see serial number or a picture to share with post on this forum.

Also pictures of important papers or a scanner to save/backup paperwork as electronic files. Best way reduce weight and not lose a thing.

Happy Travels

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I want to thank you all for your responses. We have had a whirlwind 7 days. 3,125 plus miles, 9 states, SD residency done, signed papers on RV, now home! I've made list from your recommendations. While most of them didn't surprise me, a couple were not on our list.

Number one, I would suggest is a multi-meter and go from there.

Well, I don't know what a multi-meter is, but I bet Google does! Since it was mentioned a couple times, we will definitely get one and use it for it's designed purpose!

A sense of Humor is the biggest tool needed!

Amen, and Amen!

An air compressor for your tires. You should be checking them often and will need to add air at times. Get one with psi high enough for what your tires will require. An appropriate tire gauge also.

Yes, we have! Agree totally!

If you don't have the right tool for the job, make sure these tools are available: A VISA card or Mastercard, because you will eventually have a problem that is beyond your ability, and if you want to get on the road soon after a problem occurs, especially after the warranty is up, cash or a card will be a very important tool.

Check! got that covered!

As has others have said, it depends on your ability and your needs. When we had our auction I sold most of my tools because "I won't be needing those anymore." Then we started working with Laborers For Christ, and I had to buy all of those tools (and then some) back again. Now Laborers is in transition, and it may be that I'll never work for them again.

As for what you need, the basic hand tools mentioned above is a good starting point. I'd add a decent cordless drill or driver (I carry both), and a battery-operated LED worklight. The one I have was $60 or so at Home Depot and came with a wall wart charger.

Of course your BEST tools will be a cell phone and a credit card with a high limit. <grin>

Yup, never thought about needing tools for any volunteer work, but at least for the 1st year we will keep everything in storage. We have NEVER owned or stayed in an RV, much less full-timed. We know that even if we go back to a S&B house (lookie there, I'm getting the lingo down) that we will still be gone 5-6 months/year. So perhaps the 1st year will give us time to figure it out.

I find a camera is an excellent tool. I use the cell phone as well as a small Camera. When working on the RV there is lots a tight places but I can stick my hand in to take pictures. Some pictures show how to put items back together or to read the hard to see serial number or a picture to share with post on this forum.

Also pictures of important papers or a scanner to save/backup paperwork as electronic files. Best way reduce weight and not lose a thing.

Happy Travels

Yes, I've been looking at many ways to decrease weight in the RV, and personally since the holidays!

Thanks.

Happy Trails,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

51EtY0lyLUL._AC_US261_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

They come in a wide range of sizes, capabilities and quality levels. I suggest one that falls into the $20 - $30 price range as sufficient for most RV owners. Once you have it, get the instructions out and the meter and spend some time taking readings to familiarize yourself with the use of it. The day you have your first electrical problem is not the time to start learning it's use.

They come in a wide range of sizes, capabilities and quality levels. I suggest one that falls into the $20 - $30 price range as sufficient for most RV owners. Once you have it, get the instructions out and the meter and spend some time taking readings to familiarize yourself with the use of it. The day you have your first electrical problem is not the time to start learning it's use.

Wow thanks Kirk! This is pretty much what we thought it was, but just hadn't looked it up yet. Good to know it won't set us back too much!

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

A lot of my larger tools, like table saw, are decided between the kids. I can use them when in the area and when we get off the road I will either collect them or buy new. Probably buy new.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

This is pretty much what we thought it was, but just hadn't looked it up yet. Good to know it won't set us back too much!

You could spend far more or a lot less but by getting into that price range you should bet pretty reasonable accuracy, where the lowest priced units are accurate or reliable. You could also spend far more but for amateurs in the electric field, reasonable accuracy out to one or two decimal places is plenty. Being retired from the profession, I keep a meter that costs several times that and one which is accurate to 3+ decimal places. I probably don't really need one of that caliber, but I got used to having it at work and so I spent more than really necessary....

Does your 5er have a Level Up or other leveling system? If so, you do not need a jack in case you have to change a tire on it. If you do not have that type of system, you need a jack. Also need the correct socket, socket wrench, and torque wrench. Or you could wait for roadside assistance.

Does your 5er have a generator? If not, a strong, battery powered drill/driver. If you do have a generator, a regular electric drill and 50' (minimum) extension cord. Variety of drill bits.

Hammer, variety of screwdrivers, standard and/or metric socket set, duct tape, WD-40, pliers, vise grip, hacksaw and spare blades, small flashlight, variety of fuses to fit your coach, some rags, electrical tape, plumber's (teflon) tape, and enough tool bags to put this stuff in divided up to make the stuff easy to carry.

Unfortunately, MURPHY is alive and well in the RV World, so the only tools you won't have are the ones you need when you need it. My DW (Dear Wife) thinks that I have toooo many tool, but then she won't go to Harbor Freight Tools with me, so she has no idea what too many tools is! :rolleyes::D

Good luck. Take it EASY for a while. We retired in July 2004, went to eight states, then in 2005 we went to 10 states, two provinces, volunteered in Alaska, Montana, Arizona, and Texas, then we decided to take life a little slower........

Do ya think??

Enjoy!!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

One I've used a lot but didn't really expect to is my Dremel. Used it to cut metal parts, repair dentures and sharpen my chain saw among other things

I have nearly worn my Dremel tool out and am shopping for a new one. It seems the longer I own one the more uses I find for it.

Archived