Guidance on a new tractor not HDT related.

Broncohauler

Hey guys I hope you don't mind but not HDT related.

I'm looking for a compact tractor for residential use, grading our dirt road and things of that nature.

I could use your opinions as to what you like or don't like.

I'm looking at 3 options now

2016 John Deere 3032 has (DP filter) 60 inch loader and

box scraper.

2017 John Deere 3025 NO (DPF) 60 inch loader and ganon $3k cheaper

2016 kubota 2501 NO (DPF) 60 inch loader and ganon

The deeres are cheaper than kubota but if later on I want a backhoe it won't work on the John Deere's

I know many of you have these and would like your input

Thanks Charlie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had both Deere"s and Kubota's. I like the K's better. The K never had a "Code" or any issues. Change the oil and kept fuel in it. The Deere had random issues, nothing major but computer items that required a trip to the dealer for a sensor and computer reset. For the most part the Deere always started, but the K just did the job and never complained.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We bought a Masey Ferguson 39 hp 4 wheel drive, 60 in bucket, box blade and brush hog last fall. Haven't used it much. I like it so far.

Jeff C made the comment when I ask a year or so ago to buy the one that you have the most confidence in the dealer.

I paid a little more but followed my gut on dealer preference.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I have a 15 y.o. Kubota B7200 with the hydrostatic transmission. In the 15 years only real problem was that I had Woods front end loader hydraulics valves rebuilt. Replacement Kubota branded parts are expensive (metric) but I found with a good bench grinder I can make tractor supply turnbuckles work for a fifth of the price. I also have a John Deere lawn tractor ( basically a riding mower) bought from the John Deere Dealer not Lowes or HD which are knock-offs. My only complaint with John Deere is not the equipment but their customer service in my area, but that's a story in itself.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have a 2005 Kubota L3400 (note my handle). It is a basic gear driven, 34 hp tractor with loader. Simple and rugged. In the 12 years I've owned it, I have never had a problem with it. I would buy it again (maybe with a cab...). I use it to maintain my 1/2 mile driveway, snow removal and brush cutting.

When I bought it, I asked about putting a backhoe on it in the future. The dealer told me not to waste my time. For the cost of a BH, I could rent a mini-excavator many, many times and get a lot more done. From first hand experience, in the mean time, I have confirmed that opinion. A small tractor BH is lacking in every aspect compared to a mini-excavator. The $10,000 cost of a BH will rent an excavator for many, many hours.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

One thing I learned about the Deere is that you MUST have the PTO shaft engaged fully before you lift what you have on the three point hitch. I fixed one for a guy that didn't have the shaft on all the way and it broke the output shaft. That little shaft was about $500 without any other parts or pieces.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Also have a Kubota L3400 and a M6060 with front bucket and an a/c cab. Love them both! The little L3400 is a dependable work horse and the bigger one does the few jobs we have that the little guy doesn't do. Highly recommend a bucket and I really enjoy the a/c in the summer. My son says the heated cab is nice when he pushes snow in the winter, I wouldn't know :D Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

I know you didn't ask this, but I'll throw a wrench in the works. I have an 8 series Bobcat Skid Steer loader. It runs circles around my neighbors John Deere and my other neighbor's Kubota. It has higher rated lifting capacities and can maneuver in tighter spaces. Skid steers have basically unlimited attachment options for every conceivable job and are more compact in size. I bought mine used 16 years ago and it is still running like a champ. I went looking to buy a tractor like you are looking for and decided to stop in my local Bobcat dealer on a whim as I drove by. They had the one I bought sitting on consignment with a bunch of attachments for cheaper than I could get a new tractor. It may not be what you are looking for, but I say it is worth consideration. Bobcat's especially are construction grade equipment and are meant to run long hours day after day after day. A lot of the smaller JD's and Kubotas are meant more for occasional to moderate use, although people do put them into heavy use. Just food for thought.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I know you didn't ask this, but I'll throw a wrench in the works. I have an 8 series Bobcat Skid Steer loader. It runs circles around my neighbors John Deere and my other neighbor's Kubota. It has higher rated lifting capacities and can maneuver in tighter spaces. Skid steers have basically unlimited attachment options for every conceivable job and are more compact in size. I bought mine used 16 years ago and it is still running like a champ. I went looking to buy a tractor like you are looking for and decided to stop in my local Bobcat dealer on a whim as I drove by. They had the one I bought sitting on consignment with a bunch of attachments for cheaper than I could get a new tractor. It may not be what you are looking for, but I say it is worth consideration. Bobcat's especially are construction grade equipment and are meant to run long hours day after day after day. A lot of the smaller JD's and Kubotas are meant more for occasional to moderate use, although people do put them into heavy use. Just food for thought.

We have 4 Bobcats in our fleet, and just about any attachment you would want or need.

Besides the buckets, and forks we have a broom, brush hog, log splitter, this is one tool I would never live without as when we down a tree, we can pick up the big branches with the splitter carry them away from the tree

and then cut them to length without bending over, split in place and move to the next one.

Several diameters of augers, ect.

The only thing I don't like about using a Bobcat is some times you have to climb out of the cab and over the attachment if your working by yourself, but I am looking at a JCB skid loader with a side door for our next one.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Charlie, I agree with the advice above, go with the dealer with which you're most comfortable. Ask others about service and how well the parts dep't is stocked. That said, I run Honda mowers, Versatile/New Holland loader, and the big stuff is JD. Last new piece I bought was one of the Hondas in '94.

The idea of renting things you won't use a lot is good. Why trip over things that you only need occasionally?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Many years ago I was looking at a small John Deere. The whole thing was manufactured by Yanmar. I found a Yanmar dealer and saved $1000 for the same tractor. Yanmar added a hydraulic shift that John Deere did not offer. In those days the 18hp 4x4 was about $7 or $8k so the difference was significant. Yanmar is a very well known manufacturer and I had zero problems with the tractor.

The Bobcat advice was great, thanks Chad!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

And don't be afraid to buy used. If not in a hurry, haunt the various "for sale" sites, looking for estate sales, auctions, etc. And some of the older stuff can give years of service. My main mower at my shop is a 1949 Farmall that Grandpa bought new. Armstrong steering and horrible comfort, but I only use it an hour a week.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Thanks guys your always a big help.

Chad I have thought a lot about bobcats. In my area they are a lot more expensive then a compact.

My main purpose for the tractor is to grade 1200 feet of dirt road every time it rains. We also have a drainage ditch around the front of our property that needs to be graded after big rain.

And some small work at both my son and daughters houses.

A friend now clears my ditch with a bobcat in trade for biscuits and gravy , But the road is a problem.

Carl your the reason I came here, I know you had some problems and appreciate opinion on parts and dealers.

So what I'm getting from all of you is go with the best dealer support which in my area is John Deere we have two of them. I don't get a real good feel from the Kubota dealer or salesman.

All of you here and quite honestly all the salesman said don't get a backhoe just rent a trackhoe for my little use.

Maybe renting from the different dealers will give you an chance to try out different makes and models of tractors and also "test drive" the dealers. Might make the decision of buying new or used or renting easier to make. We do get so much rain here in SoCal renting might be a better option $$$$ wise.

Edited by MrSeas

So I know must of you have much larger tractors and property that needs that.

Do any one have experience with the smaller units like the

JD 3032 or a kubota 2501?

I will be getting a 60inch Bucket and box. I will also have them put on hydraulics with 2 rams on the 3 point so It can articulate and I can set the camber in our road. Is this a good idea?

How are these compacts with a brush mower say 48-60 inch? I know Mntom you said the JD had problems.

Our local rental yard won't put one on the smaller kubota because people break the shaft some how.

Edited by broncohauler

If you want to grade your lane--don't go with the Bobcat. Nothing beats a 3 pt blade or box scraper for that. I couldn't even imagine trying to do that easily with a Bobcat On the other hand, a small tow behind (NOT 3 pt) box scraper is awesome for the job. I'd seriously consider one over a 3pt blade... for a very simple reason. Any 3 pt equipment, tends to dig or raise based on the fore/aft rock of the tractor...this actually results in a "wavy" surface (picture your tractor going over humps and what the 3 pt blade hung off the end will do.) Skid steer, same thing. A towed box scraper on the other hand, rides between two axles, and tends to "level out" the high spots and fill in the low spots. You can buy them with side to side tilt, or even a blade style with angling blade (think road grader!) I use my box scraper and loader all the time, almost never use the 3 pt blade.

Both JD and Kubota have very good small tractors. Kubota definitely wins on the rep, but JD service/parts is unmatched. You may also wish to look at the smaller New Holland tractors, they used to have a pretty nice machine. Just don't plan on using it like a bulldozer and you should be fine. Occasional use is the ticket on these machines.

Agree on the backhoe--no need. It will just sit in the shed. I have a large 3pt backhoe for a 100+ hp tractor that I haven't got out in 10+ years. If I want that kind of work done--I call the excavator guy.

As far as the PTO on the mower--its mostly common sense. Don't start or stop the mower at full throttle is a big one. Don't try to ram it through heavy wet grass or 3" brush. Slow down. Mow high--don't try to scalp the ground, and be constantly ramming the blades into the dirt. Keep the blades sharp. Pay attention to the instructions about adjustment on the slip clutch of the mower. (This is a big one, since they outlawed the use of asbestos, the clutch disks now "weld" to the plates. I have to take the clutch completely apart on my 8' Bushhog every year and loosen up the plates (they warned me, I didn't listen, I twisted a driveshaft... :( ) You want a mower wide enough to cover the tires of the tractor. I suggest you get a tractor big enough to handle that big of mower. I know that sounds like circular reasoning, but its really not...If the smallest tractor you are looking at needs a 5' mower to cover the wheels, make sure the tractor has the HP to handle that size of mower.

Edited by Jeff- C IL

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

You guys also mention used. I've been looking with in 100 miles of me for about a year,and can't find anything under 10k and don't want a full size skip loader.

The price so far on A brand new

Deere 3025 with loader and bucket also hydros on 3 point

25hp so no DPF with 6 year powertrain and 1- year bumper to bumper that can be up graded to 6 year bumper to bumper for another $1200

Asking price is $19,969 OTD

They all offer 0-60 month financing which I normally would pay cash but why not and let my $$$ stay in investments?

What do you think thanks?

Charlie

Edited by broncohauler

Maybe renting from the different dealers will give you an chance to try out different makes and models of tractors and also "test drive" the dealers. Might make the decision of buying new or used or renting easier to make. We do get so much rain here in SoCal renting might be a better option $$$$ wise.

The only rentals are kubota and I plan to demo a JD

I know our rain is limited and that's why I've waited so many years. But when we get hit it's hard and rentals aren't always available when it happens weekends and the middle of the night.

I look at as when I got a old forklift my loving wife said ok but look side ways at me, but she uses it more than me?

<<They all offer 0-60 month financing which I normally would pay cash but why not and let my $$$ stay in investments?>>

Figure the value of the money (time and interest), subtract that from the asking price, and offer them substantially less. Free interest is rarely free. Offer them $18k and see watch the look on their face. You might be pleasently surprised.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

<<They all offer 0-60 month financing which I normally would pay cash but why not and let my $$$ stay in investments?>>

Figure the value of the money (time and interest), subtract that from the asking price, and offer them substantially less. Free interest is rarely free. Offer them $18k and see watch the look on their face. You might be pleasently surprised.

Not a bad idea thanks.

We bought a Masey Ferguson 39 hp 4 wheel drive, 60 in bucket, box blade and brush hog last fall. Haven't used it much. I like it so far.

Jeff C made the comment when I ask a year or so ago to buy the one that you have the most confidence in the dealer.

I paid a little more but followed my gut on dealer preference.

We have a dealer that sells both Deere and Masey I'm going to go see them to do a side by side and drive both thanks.