How are HDT RV Haulers perceived at campsites or RV resorts?

The Few

Hello all, just some general question I have always asked myself, but need answers.

I had a conversation with a friend recently, and he gave me his personal experiences about how other people respect, view, or treat him when they see these big monsters roll into their campsites or RV resorts... I can imagine that some people might feel threatened, because they feel that you will be invading in some of their personal space, and might act a bit defensive towards you??

1) Are most people willing to accept the fact that you are different that they are without coming to their own conclusion, thus forming an opinion based on how they perceive the situation?

2) Are you shunned at the front office with a biased attitude or rudeness from the staff?

3) In your experiences and conversations, do people want to know and learn more about the HDT RV haulers, and find them fascinating and a good fit for their situation, or are their more haters that would rather ruin your day than to enjoy theirs??

4) These are all valid questions of mine, based on the size of these vehicles, and the amount of space these vehicles tend to use..

I have SO MANY other questions, but please feel free to chime in and give us your experiences.. I can learn a LOT from this forum, so please tell us your best, worst, or normal situations/experiences!

The Few

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a lot of thumbs up from truckers and a few conversations over the Cb about how the setup works, always have people stopping to chat when we stop for supplies or fuel. We were boondocking once at Walmart and when I was out doing a walk around checking straps, etc a police officer pulled up and said he loved our setup.

Same goes for campgrounds, some just look and others want to know everything about it.

Always call ahead and make sure that they can accommodate your rig.

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Generally positive but had one person comment he didn't know he had camped at a truck stop. Also had couple pull in across from us in Charleston in a big diesel pusher class A. She came over and asked if we were going to be idling our truck all night. (Uh NO!). We said we wouldn't if she wouldn't idle her diesel all night. Oh and also had someone knock on our door at 9:00 pm and tell me my Toyo steer tires were crap. Those have been the only negatives in nearly 7 years of HDTing. Like PEIF most people are curious and always remember the retort to "think you have enough truck to pull that thing?" Answer, "yep and have enough truck to stop it too!"

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I always try my best to explain to the campgrounds when we make a reservation and really never had a problem as far as the folks in the campground as was said most speak to us out of curiosity and want to learn more. The hardes is when they do not give you a chance to get settled in before they start to question you, for example one time a very nice gentleman started to ask how I get the Smart off the truck ( as I was trying to set up the camper) I very nicely told him with his help and a few more guys we lift it off, never did see him after that. :lol:

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Get a lot of thumbs up from truckers and a few conversations over the Cb about how the setup works, always have people stopping to chat when we stop for supplies or fuel. We were boondocking once at Walmart and when I was out doing a walk around checking straps, etc a police officer pulled up and said he loved our setup.

Same goes for campgrounds, some just look and others want to know everything about it.

Always call ahead and make sure that they can accommodate your rig.

That is exactly what I like to hear!!

Truckers that respect and appreciate the hard work that it takes to build and own one of these!!

I have to be honest, that I fell in love with this idea from day one!!

So now I am waiting my time till I own one.. (wont be long)

Thank you for your input!

The Few

Generally positive but had one person comment he didn't know he had camped at a truck stop. Also had couple pull in across from us in Charleston in a big diesel pusher class A. She came over and asked if we were going to be idling our truck all night. (Uh NO!). We said we wouldn't if she wouldn't idle her diesel all night. Oh and also had someone knock on our door at 9:00 pm and tell me my Toyo steer tires were crap. Those have been the only negatives in nearly 7 years of HDTing. Like PEIF most people are curious and always remember the retort to "think you have enough truck to pull that thing?" Answer, "yep and have enough truck to stop it too!"

Wow, the nerve, huh?? LOL

I have heard from other Class A owners, that they actually "LOVE" the HDT RV Hauler concept..

But a lot of them were a bit "miffed" because the HDT RV Haulers takes away the spotlight and attention from their over priced RV Class A diesel pusher when compared.. LOL

The Few

I always try my best to explain to the campgrounds when we make a reservation and really never had a problem as far as the folks in the campground as was said most speak to us out of curiosity and want to learn more. The hardes is when they do not give you a chance to get settled in before they start to question you, for example one time a very nice gentleman started to ask how I get the Smart off the truck ( as I was trying to set up the camper) I very nicely told him with his help and a few more guys we lift it off, never did see him after that. :lol:

(laughing)

Very clever way to disperse a crowd!

The Few

We have been treated like rock stars had a lot of people take pictures with there cell phones. Be prepared for the one question I am sure all of us have gotten .Do you think you have a big enough truck? If only had a dollar for that question. Be prepared fo the public to come up and ask a lot of questions. Most generally the older folks under stand the younger kids haven't had enough experience yet are the ones that believe that the ltd trucks are the way to go .

Rv resorts and camp grounds have treated use well except for one down by Portland or. Went to make reservations found out they do not except diesel trucks because it disrupts the "ambiance" in there park. Most generally it has been all positive and lots of fun keep this in mind these trucks are not much longer than a crew cab dually pic up the are just much taller that is what makes it look so big.

We have been treated like rock stars had a lot of people take pictures with there cell phones. Be prepared for the one question I am sure all of us have gotten .Do you think you have a big enough truck? If only had a dollar for that question. Be prepared fo the public to come up and ask a lot of questions. Most generally the older folks under stand the younger kids haven't had enough experience yet are the ones that believe that the ltd trucks are the way to go .

Rv resorts and camp grounds have treated use well except for one down by Portland or. Went to make reservations found out they do not except diesel trucks because it disrupts the "ambiance" in there park. Most generally it has been all positive and lots of fun keep this in mind these trucks are not much longer than a crew cab dually pic up the are just much taller that is what makes it look so big.

Some people just "LOVE to HATE", but I believe that it is all the better on your part!

My personal theory is: "if someone gets angry or jealous of you by doing absolutely nothing wrong, then you are absolutely doing something right"!!

Very nice rig, sir!

The Few

I have had one time when I had a problem getting the legs extended to unhook. Some person who had a death wish came over & asked "how long I was going to run that thing", but I didn't go "Hitler". Only PITA I find is people don't come over & ask until I am pulling out. Guess it's just me, huh ?

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Not much longer than a crew cab dually. If you carry a Smart or other on bed it and is on a large cab HDT, it is. Never couldn't fit my dually and Teton. Very limited on rv sites with current set up.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I think it's critically important for the HDT community to patiently answer questions, and be ambassadors for our configuration of RV. Wise ass replies do nothing for anyone. On the road, I always travel by the rule, the guy you just passed might be the guy to save your life if something happens down the road. If you treat the guy with the pop-up with the same respect as a fellow HDT'er, we'll all be the better for it. At the end of the day (and i HATE cliche's) we're all in this together. -Steve

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I think it's critically important for the HDT community to patiently answer questions, and be ambassadors for our configuration of RV. Wise ass replies do nothing for anyone. On the road, I always travel by the rule, the guy you just passed might be the guy to save your life if something happens down the road. If you treat the guy with the pop-up with the same respect as a fellow HDT'er, we'll all be the better for it. At the end of the day (and i HATE cliche's) we're all in this together. -Steve

Steve,

Good point. I try to take time and talk to them if I am set up. Sometimes have to tell them I will be happy to talk after setting up. Never had an issue with a campground turning us down. I am a very non-confrontational person generally but the two examples I gave above especially the woman and "tire guy" didn't deserve respect so none was given.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We have only had positive comments. Last month I took two different gentlemen for short rides and showed them the truck. One of those went down to Bakersfield and purchased a used HDT to tow with.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Never had a negative experience yet, but we don't camp in RV parks much. When we do they are in redneck locations and people are interested.

I have the same issue with not being able to set up due to constant interruptions from curious people.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I most definitely agree if a response isn't a nice one best not to say nothing at all!

[quote name="Stekay" post="881602" timestamp="1485721

Usual questions, as mentioned above about whether the truck is big enough. Once in a while, someone will accuse us of being rich because they "know" trucks like ours cost $150k. Yes, new ones cost that, or more. Ours is 16 years old.

Some motor home owners get a bit testy if you pass them going up long grades, especially if they're all lettered and advertise their HP on the back. B)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hello all, just some general question I have always asked myself, but need answers.

I had a conversation with a friend recently, and he gave me his personal experiences about how other people respect, view, or treat him when they see these big monsters roll into their campsites or RV resorts... I can imagine that some people might feel threatened, because they feel that you will be invading in some of their personal space, and might act a bit defensive towards you??

1) Are most people willing to accept the fact that you are different that they are without coming to their own conclusion, thus forming an opinion based on how they perceive the situation?

2) Are you shunned at the front office with a biased attitude or rudeness from the staff?

3) In your experiences and conversations, do people want to know and learn more about the HDT RV haulers, and find them fascinating and a good fit for their situation, or are their more haters that would rather ruin your day than to enjoy theirs??

4) These are all valid questions of mine, based on the size of these vehicles, and the amount of space these vehicles tend to use..

I have SO MANY other questions, but please feel free to chime in and give us your experiences.. I can learn a LOT from this forum, so please tell us your best, worst, or normal situations/experiences!

1) They seem to accept us, just cant believe we can get in the places we do and that we are so tall (and we don't even have a condo height cab)!

2) Some campgrounds do not like us, so make sure you explain what you have before you get there. (Don't recall ever having any issues ourselves)

3) They want to learn.

4) all good questions. Be sure to check the FAQ list and the resource guide if you have others just in case the answers are there.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have a little different perspective as we are not a HDT RV Hauler but a HDT Custom RV. We own a Powerhouse Coach which is built on a Volvo HDT. We are moving fulltimers and stay in private RV parks 90 % of the time. To answer your questions...

1- For us the answer is sometimes: Most people keep their opinions to themselves or only voice positives. We do have people walk by and comment loud enough for us to hear comments such as "that is ridiculous, I can't believe they bought that and they must be rich". Fortunately I usually win people over because I am a very social person and talk to people. We always stand out not only due to our size but our color.

2- We have never been shunned by staff; however I do get a lot of "wow you are that big" when we pull in. I always have people argue with me that they do not make rv's that are 52'. I usually reply that yes they do, no I am not confused since I live in it. I do have to do a lot of research on sites. Unfortunately we have found quite a few who do not know what a HDT is or they only consider site length. They do not consider turn radius, trees or any of the other variables that effect us fitting into a site.

3- We have seen more people fascinated with our rig and we are able to talk about HDT Rv's as well as HDT RV haulers. I am always telling people about this group and the HDT Rally. The number one question we get is "How much does that cost?" DH gets alot of attention from guys wanting to see how our technology and systems work. People like to tour our home and wheels and usually I do not mind. The main compliment we get is how homey it looks.

At 86' we can not just pull into a campground most the time and find a spot. I use several different sites to find big boy sites. I also always call ahead and usually email a picture. 95% of the time we can stay hooked up (RV and trailer). I have found alot of campgrounds have longer sites which they do not advertise. One campground we stayed at had 90' sites but advertised 65' as the longest. When I talked to the owners they did not think that anyone was over 65' so that is as big as they advertised even though they are longer.

Both DH and I are glad we purchased our Used Powerhouse and would try to go the same route if we find ourselves needing another RV. The length is a little daunting but this is our home and we want it to be comfortable for us and our 4 parrots. I would recommend you visit a HDT Rally. If you ever see us on the road please stop and say hello.

post-55413-0-66347100-1485752410_thumb.jpg

Travels of the Lipson Chicken Coop

Ed and Patti Lipson
with their 4 parrots

Full timing in a
2008 Powerhouse Coach
Enclosed Trailer
2016 Smart Car

We get a lot of thumbs up from truckers (especially when Jacolyn is driving). We have only been turned away once in 7 years and we even had reservations. They said we were to heavy for their roads, I asked about the class A motor homes in the park and they just repeated their line and they would not open the gate so we could turn around. So we sat in their driveway blocking everything until we found another place and then I had to back 1/4 mile down the curving tree lined driveway to get out. Found a nicer place a couple miles away and have been back multiple times. In that park a kid about 10 walked past the rig about 4 times and he finally stopped long enough to say 'Mr. that is a fine looking rig'.

We get lots of the 'think you have enough truck'? I just answer that it does a pretty good job but it is only 465 horse and if I was doing it again I'd be looking at a 600 HP.

I have never really heard any negative comments just lots of watchers when we park. They are generally disappointed when things go off without any trouble.

I have also only loaded or unloaded the Smart a couple times without at least one observer.

Overall the VAST majority of people are quite interested and complimentary about things.

Do your research ahead of time and you should not have much trouble getting big enough spaces. The Good Sam web site lists places that have 'Big rig sites' in the park descriptions.

Brad

P.S. Some people get a little upset when you tell them what an LGT is especially if they have a 1 ton dually diesel.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

We have a little different perspective as we are not a HDT RV Hauler but a HDT Custom RV. We own a Powerhouse Coach which is built on a Volvo HDT. We are moving fulltimers and stay in private RV parks 90 % of the time. To answer your questions...

1- For us the answer is sometimes: Most people keep their opinions to themselves or only voice positives. We do have people walk by and comment loud enough for us to hear comments such as "that is ridiculous, I can't believe they bought that and they must be rich". Fortunately I usually win people over because I am a very social person and talk to people. We always stand out not only due to our size but our color.

I can honestly say without a doubt, that you good folks might just be my kinda company!! You sound like the perfect ambassadors for the HDT /HDT RV Community..

2- We have never been shunned by staff; however I do get a lot of "wow you are that big" when we pull in. I always have people argue with me that they do not make rv's that are 52'. I usually reply that yes they do, no I am not confused since I live in it. I do have to do a lot of research on sites. Unfortunately we have found quite a few who do not know what a HDT is or they only consider site length. They do not consider turn radius, trees or any of the other variables that effect us fitting into a site.

That is a BEAUTIFUL rig you own, and most would people just find it hard to believe they are that large, because these are not commonly seen on the roads often..

3- We have seen more people fascinated with our rig and we are able to talk about HDT Rv's as well as HDT RV haulers. I am always telling people about this group and the HDT Rally. The number one question we get is "How much does that cost?" DH gets alot of attention from guys wanting to see how our technology and systems work. People like to tour our home and wheels and usually I do not mind. The main compliment we get is how homey it looks.

I am guilty myself of posing a question of cost, just to see if I could even afford one!!

Alas, the owner tells me how much they paid for it, then suddenly my optimism and pride seemed to have ran off somewhere. LOL

At 86' we can not just pull into a campground most the time and find a spot. I use several different sites to find big boy sites. I also always call ahead and usually email a picture. 95% of the time we can stay hooked up (RV and trailer). I have found alot of campgrounds have longer sites which they do not advertise. One campground we stayed at had 90' sites but advertised 65' as the longest. When I talked to the owners they did not think that anyone was over 65' so that is as big as they advertised even though they are longer.

Both DH and I are glad we purchased our Used Powerhouse and would try to go the same route if we find ourselves needing another RV. The length is a little daunting but this is our home and we want it to be comfortable for us and our 4 parrots. I would recommend you visit a HDT Rally. If you ever see us on the road please stop and say hello.

Sure will, buddy!

The Few

We get a lot of thumbs up from truckers (especially when Jacolyn is driving). We have only been turned away once in 7 years and we even had reservations. They said we were to heavy for their roads, I asked about the class A motor homes in the park and they just repeated their line and they would not open the gate so we could turn around. So we sat in their driveway blocking everything until we found another place and then I had to back 1/4 mile down the curving tree lined driveway to get out. Found a nicer place a couple miles away and have been back multiple times. In that park a kid about 10 walked past the rig about 4 times and he finally stopped long enough to say 'Mr. that is a fine looking rig'.

We get lots of the 'think you have enough truck'? I just answer that it does a pretty good job but it is only 465 horse and if I was doing it again I'd be looking at a 600 HP.

I have never really heard any negative comments just lots of watchers when we park. They are generally disappointed when things go off without any trouble.

I have also only loaded or unloaded the Smart a couple times without at least one observer.

Overall the VAST majority of people are quite interested and complimentary about things.

Do your research ahead of time and you should not have much trouble getting big enough spaces. The Good Sam web site lists places that have 'Big rig sites' in the park descriptions.

Brad

P.S. Some people get a little upset when you tell them what an LGT is especially if they have a 1 ton dually diesel.

I love happy endings,

Thank you for sharing that!!

The Few

So far the only thing that could be construed as a negative comment would be the "Do you think you have a big enough truck?" question that we all seem to get. I just answer 'I do now." Almost all of the time, the first question asked is "How do you get that car up there?". After telling them that I have to hunt or hire 4 strong guys to pick it up so I can back under it and see then try to understand how that would work, I laugh and tell them about the ramps and the winch and how they work.

We have only had one bad experience at a park and that was when we were bobtailing back from Texas and stopped for the night in Vicksburg to do some sightseeing. Exit 1A and the casino RV park there would not let us stay because, and I quote, "our soil is clay and sand and you would sink down and mess up out pads." When I pointed out several diesel pushers in the park that grossed a LOT more than we did, she then told us that is we had our trailer attached, we would be OK. She never did say anything else after I told her the truck and the trailer would be any lighter than the truck alone.

We then found a great place at exit two that even had pictures of the rig that stayed with them the prior year and they created a 100' site made just for rigs like ours after that stay. We will be stopping to visit with them again in the future.

So far, everyone else has loved the rig from truck drivers to others in the RV parks. The most humorous one so far was the truck driver in Paducah, KY that came running up wanting to take a picture of the rig. He was on the phone with his girlfriend when we came in and he told her about our rig and she proceeded to accuse him of being drunk. He want a picture to prove he wasn't. :)

As far as the smart cars and loading goes, we do gather a little crowd when several of us are loading at the same time and we do get a lot of questions after we finish.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived