Norton, Kaspersky, or?

LindaH

I'm really starting to appreciate my Ipad more and more.....no start up hassles, no viruses, no unwanted pop ups or malware. Its just a whole lot simpler and cleaner. And for most of what I do it works great.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feel alone Jim,

I felt that way about Windows 8 a year ago before I had touch. I think I am going to sell the big 27" new desktop and get the 18" portable desktop and charging stand or similar. And pass along my great deal to someone who will use it. I realized being slightly nearsighted the quad HD is no good without sitting back enough to need my glasses! I don't need glasses to use my computers, kindles and analog readers with organic based reading panes.

Anyway, they are coming out with a major revision to 8.1 in April, and while I like 8.0 it may get more confusing while they respond to the folks that won't change, buy a touch screen for their desktops, or make sure any new Windows 8 laptop has touch too. Anybody want a 2720 for less than half price email me. My email is in the clear and on my website. I love it on my tablets but I only had the Androids no iPads so I can't compare the two.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I think I could be happy with any kind of tablet. We are not talking about different technology , just minor differences between manufacturers which simply takes some getting used to.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going to continue my latest test on this thread to try to consolidate all these AV ( Norton-Kaspersky or, Emsisoft , Bitdefender and Free AVs W7+W8) threads in one place.

Back to the test.

Avast free is now running on the Vista 32bit laptop.I left it running a full scan overnight and this morning all it found was a System32 file and I quarantined it (a little shy of deleting anything that starts with System32!!) shut down and restarted..annnd

YES ! It's back up and running and first thing I started a CCleaner scan and then ran Defraggler . The final space on the HDD it is using is about 300MB just what REVO listed it as.

No pop-ups today and sorry RV , the cool paint splash is only the desktop icon. The icon in the system tray is a little orange dot with a white "a" in the middle that sometimes turns blue then back to orange ,,to get your attention?

That's all for now ,stay tuned.

Edited by rvpopeye

stay tuned

popeye

Popeye, I told you it's been awhile since I had Avast on a computer! It is a circle with an a in it @. :D

Ok update here. MSE and Windows Defender have been getting some bad press. So I checked the AV Comparatives Labs and AV-Tests results after reading that Kaspersky which is paid only, and Bitdefender were rated tops with Bitdefender was also chosen AV product of the year by PC Magazine. I checked and found that both Bitdefender, and Avira which came in third place had free versions so I posted the research and said I'd be testing them and recommended them based on the test lab results. Well all of us starting with Popeye then Wes and me, then we found Roger as well, all had the program crash, freeze up, mess up registries, and other issues on install. I thought it bricked my new tablet. Fortunately all of us got it off and didn't lose anything but time and stress.

Soooo scratch Bitdefender. I had already tried Avast which was rated right in the middle of the top half of the AV Security products. Popeye is trying it again as none of us writing here have used it in a couple of years on our computers. I loaded up Avira Free and it loaded much better than Bitdefender. No problems yet.

One thing I did notice about both Bitdefender and Avira is that both withhold some services until you open an account online and log in. Well, that kind of sets me against them. I went to Bitdefender support online and opened a support ticket on it asking about the account requirement. That was several days ago. I did the same for Avira today. We'll see.

So far, as far as free programs go, it is Avira and Avast free programs that seem to be well rated and load safely. I am seeing some slow downs on the tablet running Avira on loading webpages. Checking to see if it is causing it or not. Seems to run fine so far.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I just noticed that Avast had a program update available and decided to try downloading it and installing it over the version I already had instead of just hitting update in the program just to see if it would work that way.....it did.

I also had to uncheck Google Chrome bloat install option as I did on the original install. Just forgot to mention it then....so keep an eye out if you install Avast.

stay tuned

popeye

I finally got a response from Bitdefender.

I had written this to them:

"I downloaded the free edition from your website. After it locked up my computer on install during downloading and locked me out of restart I finally got back in and all seems well.
Now I get a screen telling me ti login and create an account. I do not want an account. Is that why it says 29 days left? I thought I downloaded a free AV and am testing this out for our group that previously used MSE. We can go to Avira free if this is a scam and says free but is really trialware.
So what happens in 29 days, and if I do create an account does that remove the 29 day thingy?
Thanks.
Derek"

They replied back with this non answer:

"From: Bitdefender Support Team
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎March‎ ‎20‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎18‎ ‎AM
To: RV@rvroadie.com

Dear Roadie,
Thank you for your interest in our security solution, Bitdefender.
In order to answer to your inquiry, we recommend you to repair Bitdefender Free Edition. In order to do this,
follow the path from the Windows start menu: Start → All Programs → Bitdefender Free Edition → Repair or Remove. A new window will appear.
Select the action you want to perform:
Repair Installation - to re-install all program components.
If the issue still persists, please send us a screenshot for being able to further assist you.
Please follow the steps below in order to generate one:
For windows 8:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/take-a-screen-shot
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Have a nice day, Roadie!
Best regards,
Valentina Dima
Bitdefender Support Team"

I sent them this response today:

"You did not address my question about having to register a free program? Every person in our tech forum had severe problems installing it on, updated, infection free, systems running Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1.

We have all already moved on, and now recommend all our friends and readers stay away. Avast free and Avira Free are being tested now with none of the problems e had with Bitdefender, as our possible candidates for endorsement on all of our websites including posts on Windows Secrets and all the RV forums.

One thing I found ironic. Your removal tool worked faster than your installer did, and caused none of us problems.

See our reviews here in several threads on this computer forum:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=109694

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=109873

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=109873

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=93503&page=5#entry684610

I won’t be back.
RV"

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Sort of a "bitty bye bye". Nice !

Avast wanted me to create an account too.

I did , well , Popeye Sailor did anyway.... Same as he did for Bitdefender. ;)

With all the manpower that Microsoft has freed up by dumping XP. Maybe they could put a team back on making MSE a priority again ???

Edited by rvpopeye

stay tuned

popeye

Bitdefender's last answer:

"Dear Derek,

Thank you for your reply.

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support.

Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

Have a nice day, Derek!

Best regards,

Valentina Dima

Bitdefender Support Team"

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Connection not established. Host unreachable.

That is what I'm seeing today when I try to update Avast.

The computer IS connected to the router and internet . The browser is functioning fine.

I haven't seen any popups though , maybe that's why.

The UI seems to be quite adequate though.Lots of nice options.

I'll give it a little longer to snap to then on to the next trial...

stay tuned

popeye

I can attest to Avira free being excellent in being quiet and auto updating as well as being top rated and free. I returned the Lenovo 8" tablet with Win 8 Pro and full Office. It was a one week test that told me none of the problems that Bitdefender had, or that Avast has according to your test of them Popeye..

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 months later...

Overdue update......

Avast is now gone from my test rig. (too much trouble to even get it to update)

Avira ran for the month of April. (Not bad but it's test time was up)

Back to Comodo for May , this time just the AV instead of the full suite . (Still a major contender ;) )

Now on http://www.digital-defender.com/antivirus-premium/ (Early thoughts ,,reminds me a little of MSE)

Read this today http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/antivirus-tracking-youd-surprised-sends/

(Interesting info about privacy and AVs ,and finally , a little info on Emsisoft, the AV that I was looking for info on that got me started on all this testing back in March)

I'll ask again , anyone using Emsisoft ?

stay tuned

popeye

Wow!

Popeye, that second link to the article on AV sending personal files back to the vendors is news to me. I thought I was aware, but I had no idea. I no longer use products from the manufacturers listed in it, haven't for years except on some new or test systems before loading them up with my personal files. This is because I can use email and my Internet until in a three week period I decide the new system is worth keeping. That way if returned very little to no data can be recovered even by forensics . And if I were under that much scrutiny I'm sure the "they" doing it could hack into all my data.

I use the default Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Pro on my Windows 8/8.1 systems, and MSE on my Windows 7 systems and on setting up Windows on each new computer, or when I'm doing a factory reset, I opt out by selecting customize on those screens in addition to the same opt outs in setting up my AV. At least MS allows the opt out. No word there on Malwarebytes or Comodo.

Thanks for that important info bud! Forewarned IS forearmed.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 6 months later...

I have been using Avast for a good 8-10 years including a small office that I worked at when both Norton and Symantec caused problems with printers and it has done a great job, the only time we got a virus was when someone plugged in a flash drive with a virus on it.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

• 4 months later...

I've ordered a new computer which should be here today (Surface 3, 128GB, 4GB ram). I wasn't planning on getting one so soon, but after spilling water on my keyboard (http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=116985&hl=keyboard) I've started having more and more problems with it...I could live with the backspace key not working, but now the caps lock key keeps turning itself on and off!

Anyway, when I started this thread, the consensus was that Microsoft Security Essentials was the best free antivirus out there. Is that still true? Should I just stick with Windows Defender (which I assume comes installed on Windows 8.1?) and download Malwarebytes? Anything better? I would prefer free, but would be willing to pay for something better.

Thanks.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Derek has probably got a better handle on what the latest from MS is for security. I would put Malwarebytes on it (free) and maybe spywarebotsd too. And upgrade and scan every week.

Lots of us are pretty interested in that particular device so we'll be interested in what you think. :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

These 3 get top ratings at PCMag.com, although they are not free:

Bitdefender Plus 2015, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460688,00.asp

Kaspersky 2015, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460689,00.asp

Webroot Secure Anywhere 2015, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470312,00.asp

Also, AV-Comparatives' April 2015 Real World Protection Test showed that Bitdefender and Kaspersky did well (each had 1 false positive; Bitdefender blocked 100%, Kaspersky blocked 99.8%). Webroot was not tested.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Congrats on the new machine , everybody will be interested in how it works for ya!

I'm pretty sure MSE/Defender will come on the Surface so add Malwarebytes and maybe SuperAntiSpyware or Spybot and you should be good to go.

After all the trials that I was doing with other security software because of the reviews of MSE the last couple of years I just put my Vista back on MSE and never took it off the W7.

Happy happy no worries matey!

I think where you go and what you do is the biggest part of keeping your computer clean these days.

stay tuned

popeye

• 2 months later...

Hello Folks, Here is some professional advice for Antivirus programs. (19 years experience).

Norton = i don't have enough thumbs to point down for home versions, Commercial version awesome,

McAfee NO Way, you couldn't pay me enough to use it

Avast NOOOOOOOO

For years i used Avira, until few yrs ago they got onboard with ask.com an there tool bars, (toolbars are a total waste, stay away from all of them)

AVG use to be at bottom of list, then in 2014 they went right up to the top (free version). It was tried/tested in PC Labs. scored 97% good. #1.

One of the worst pc's i had to fix had norton, 2650 trojans. an that is an exact number.Was a windows 8 laptop.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Little addition to my above post, Microsoft is not in biz for antivirus, Essentials, an Defender both vaules couldn't buy a piece of toast at a local diner.

Along with any virus program your internet provider gives you, what they give you is a small piece of the pie sort of speaking. Malwarebytes in one of the best in cleaning up, but it does NOT come tweeked for best performance. (standard download , install an run) it needs its setting to be adjusted.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

• 2 months later...

I use Malwarebytes Premium real time alongside Defender on my Windows 8/8.1 and 10 systems. I use it alongside MSE on my two remaining Win 7 systems. Least resource most bang for the buck combo for us. My five Premium Licenses are lifetime and paid for a couple of years ago. My last Win 7 laptop is only MSE We've two high end desktops, two high end Atom tablets, two highly modified SSD powered max RAM older laptops as test base and for sale soon systems. The laptops scream but we don't need them. Don't really need the money either but have to recoup the cost of the SSDs and RAM anyway. They'll bring that and then some.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 years later...

Looks like this hasn't seen much in the past 3 years. Am looking for advice more current. What's the best one for 2018?

Thanks, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.