Norton, Kaspersky, or?

LindaH

My new computer came loaded with Norton Internet Security (free 30-day trial). I don't know how much Norton will cost after the 30-day trial, but I already have a CD for Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 which I got for my previous computer (and which my husband is now using). I'm wondering whether I should keep Norton, or delete it and install Kaspersky? Or would the free version of AVG be a better choice? Or is there something better than any of these three?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been very pleased with Kaspersky Internet Security for the past several years, but that includes a lot more than just the Anti-Virus package you mention. However, I've been reading all the posts related to Microsoft Security Essentials and I may consider switching when my Kaspersky license expires.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Many of us have switched to MSE because of a problem at sometime with any of the free antivirus programs. There is no reason to be paying for any of those services unless you feel you need some sort of tech support for one reason or another. Another word of advice, if you use MSE and also CCleaner, be sure to uncheck the box under applications and MSE log.

My new computer came loaded with Norton Internet Security (free 30-day trial).

Linda,

All of the trial software that comes bundled with PCs are advertisements. The responsible software companies pay the PC retailers to bundle their software as a trial.

I paid for Norton and Kaspersky subscriptions for several years. IMO, for your use, with the advent of Microsoft's free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) you'd be wasting your money subscribing to Norton or Kaspersky virus protection. Their motivation is brand protection - they don't want Windows to become synonymous with unsafe.

In addition to being "safe", MSE was far less intrusive than Norton or Kaspersky when it was introduced. Is it today - I don't care. It's effective, not intrusive and safe.

Dan

On Edit: Didn't read your prior post before this one

Edited by Dan Zemke

Congrats on your new Toshiba!

I strongly recommend MSE, I use it in all of my systems.

I also bought and tested all the previous ones incuding AVG free and paid for, and Kaspersky Internet security as well as Norton up to my switching to MSE 2 years ago. I don't use any of them anymore, just MSE with Malwarebytes free as a back up on demand scanner.

Every security program installs deep in your system and to completely remove one you need to go to the vendor, in this case Symantec, for the Norton product installed on yours, and use the vendor removal tool to remove it, they have an all in one that removes all Norton priducts since 2003.

For goodness sake do not remove the programs with Windows add/remove programs! I loved Kaspersky prior to MSE, and used Norton for years before that before they too became bloatware.

I use MSE as are many many others, and trust it as much as all the above and more so because it is light and quiet. Do not load AVG free on it as it is hard to remove, and really bloats up boot times and scan times. If Norton has already been installed and/or activated use the Norton removal tool here to completely remove it. Do not uninstall with windows add remove progreams. Go here, download the removal tool, then follow the directions in step 2 to run it:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&id=&entsrc=&pvid=&docurl=kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Also do not have two security real time programs running at the same time. Download MSE and let Windows put it in the default Downloads folder before you remove Norton, then install MSE right after removal and reboot to reduce your exposure time.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Linda,

CNET usually has a nice review of all of the anti-virus programs, their features and costs - you might want to run a search on their Website.

FYI: In the past, I have had many (too many) different anti-V. and security systems and most of them used too many resources, slowed down my PC, and made working (I telecommute) pretty painful. Currently I have G-Data Antivirus 2011 and have found it to have a nice balance between security and resource usage. Cost was probably ~$50/year.

Good Luck.

Esther

Off the Road but planning our next trip!

MSE for sure. Like Derek I have used them all (or most of them, anyway). MSE does it well, and unobtrusively.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

OK, so MSE it is! And I'll take your recommendations, RV, about deleting Norton from their website after I've downloaded MSE.

What about the Kaspersky that's loaded on my other computer? If I download MSE on that one, can I delete Kaspersky using the add/remove program on Windows, or will I also need to go to their website for a removal tool?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

OK, I've done the download and saved it to my Desktop. Opened it up and clicked "Yes" when the screen popped up asking me if I wanted the program to make changes to my computer.

According to the instructions on the Norton website, it says to follow the on-screen instructions. However, so far no onscreen instructions have popped up. The "internal storage drive" light keeps blinking, so I assume it's doing something, but it's been way over 30 minutes and, so far, nothing.

How long should the removal of Norton take?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

This discussion prompted me to go to the Microsoft site to read the MSE information since I will have to make the same decision in a couple of months. One thing that surprised me is that MSE does not contain a firewall, but, rather, assumes you want to run the standard Windows firewall. In the past I hadn't been all that impressed with the Windows firewall and to my knowledge it only operates against incoming threats and does not monitor outward activity. Therefore, nothing prevents something like a key-logger from sending outbound information, assuming that it got in by some means.

Since quite a few of you are using MSE, what firewall solutions have you implemented?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The XP firewall did not monitor outbound stuff. But Vista's and Win 7's firewalls do.

I used Norton for years - provided by my employer at the time. Norton began to have a significant impact on performance. So I switched to ZoneAlarm, at my own cost, along with many of my IBM peers. I then tried MS's bundled firewall with Vista and subsequently switched to it for all of computers

Dan.

What about the Kaspersky that's loaded on my other computer? If I download MSE on that one, can I delete Kaspersky using the add/remove program on Windows, or will I also need to go to their website for a removal tool?

Kaspersky has a removal tool on its website. I downloaded and used it when I switched my old laptop from Kaspersky to MSE.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil answered and I agree. Go to their website and download the removal tool. That applies to any anti malware program.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

If you want outbound firewall protect, read this post about Vista and how to activate it. Vista outbound activation

This article says it's a pest to set up. It hate say this, but so is every other one. After years of answering questions every time I installed software, I finally switched to Vista's firewall without outbound protection since I never had a outbound issue except that I had to make a qualified answer that the outbound was legit. How does on know it is legit?

If you really feel you need keylogger protection, go with one of the other ones. For me, I don't worry about that and I can state easily that I do much more downloading of pictures, software, podcast, radio program mp3, etc than the majority of people on this site. What I don't do is use a mail program that allows scripts to run.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as docj, Kaspersky running out soon and also considering MSE. As i understand I'll need MSE, CCleaner and Malwarebites to be safe...so is there anything else I'll need?

Question #2: How in the world do you know if your anti-virus or something else is slowing down the computer?? I have always assumed it was a slow connection or somethin.

Q#3: We are now the proud owners of a Samsung Galaxy Tablet that we'll be using in lieu of the data card. (Probably a mistake, but we'll see) So I'm wondering what kind of anti-virus is needed for that critter?

As Derek may remember, I am a forever computer noob, so please keep responses simple.

Thanks a bunch,

Vern

Vern & Sue

'02 40' Holiday Rambler Imperial
'05 Ford Ranger XLT-4x4- toad

Vern,

If you decide to use MSE you must remove Kaspersky first and use the Kaspersky removal tool. It can be found here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Just print out that screen and download the kavremover.exe file and run it by double clicking on it. It should run without the part you printed out required bu have it on hane=d anyway. Never uninstall any antivirus program using windows add/remove programs.

Then you download MSE from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

And install it only after you have removed Kaspersky. Make sure you allow it to turn on Windows firewall during install. (It will ask)

CCleaner is for removing residue and doing registry cleaning. Malwarebytes is a back up manual scanner. MSE and the Windows Firewall is all you need for security.

As far as a slowdown on your computer I would check add/remove programs and uninstall any and all toolbars that show up regardless of the name and that includes Yahoo toolbar, Google toolbar etc. If your Internet is the only thing slow then let me know what browser you are using IE or FF.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

YW Vern, any questions let me know.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I would like to add the flip side to the free AV program MSE for your consideration. MSE does not contain a firewall. You will depend on Windows firewall. The Windows firewall blocks all incoming probes from the Internet but by default, does not block outgoing connections UNLESS you write a rule to block. In default setup, all outgoing connects that do not match a rule are allowed. In Windows firewall setup, there are no outbound "Block" rules, only "ALLOW" rules. So even if Windows firewall outbound protection is "ON", it is not doing anything. No outbound protection allow broadcast of your personal info or allows your machine to be used as a part of a botnet.

MSE does not check incomming compressed files (ZIP,RAR) Most files or programs from internet are compressed. MSE does not check e-mails only attachments when they are moved to hard drive.

MSE is the best free AV program out there but go in with your eyes open

Glenn