Are You Still In?

Guest cindona

The Mayan prophecy? Naaah the power that made all this has a better sense of humor than that! One Baktun is over and another starts like our new year's in a few days. The world does not end, we hang new calendars and that staves off the end of the world for another year.

One guy says that:

" I can personally guarantee, with 100% certainty that our civilization will not

come to an end on December 21st, 2012. How can I be so sure you ask? Simple… The

divine architect, the Demiurge, universal creator, whatever title works for you,

has too twisted of a sense of humor to let me off that easy. Like many of you

reading this blog, I too racked up debt over the last decade or two. And like

many of you, I have a mortgage to pay off. My Demiurge would never allow me to

shirk my responsibilities so easily. Especially with so flimsy of an excuse as

some apocalyptic end-times scenario."

http://tekgnostics.blogspot.com/2009/11/2012-what-me-worry.html

It probably won't. I have used that phrase for fears of hell, of radon, of cults, of the Mafia, of my heart stopping just for laughs, of that itchy mole, of the adverse side effects of every drug my doctor has ever prescribed for me, towing a big fiver with a 1 ton, and on and on ad nauseum . The preamble is always followed quickly, as am I, by a big but. I call that the BUT drop. But it might?

I have lived through more than ten world is going to end scenarios that just didn't pan out. Sure I didn't believe any of them. But . . .

I find that people like to scare others with what scares them, rational or not, because misery loves company. Stuff happens. In the meantime if you are near a beach when the sun shines, relax, and as the song says, "Don't Worry, Be Happy." As for me, I am going to do what I am going to do. :lol: Good point Ed. Should be a show worth watching , no?

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the year is over. . . are you still in? The OP asked a great question and we should ask it again.

As for me, yes. . . I’m always in, but that’s just me.

Think back to early 2009 when the Dow had fallen to below 7,000. If you look on this forum you will have seen folks postulating that the economic world is coming to an end. Everyone was selling. Okay not everyone but many were.

So where are we at today? The Dow closed the year at 12,218. What? Wait a minute? What happened? The economies of the world didn’t come to an end. Hummmm. We just lived through the greatest economic upheaval of the last 100 years. Our grandparents also thought the economic world was coming to an end in the great depression but those that invested in profitable solid companies for the long term went on to prosper. Maybe there’s something to be learned here.

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Amen Jim. I have limited experience but I know to buy low and sell high. Emotionally it appears that investors sell low in a panic and buy when high because they think it is a success. We bought a lot of shares of our USAA Funds, from 2007 to 2010 when I was working because the shares were tanked. We bought shares for pennies on the dollar compared to several months before we started. We only recently bought our first shares of stock directly. That only because we believed in the man and the company, still do, and only one other time, Apple in 2005 when they announced they were going to be switching to the Intel chipsets. I posted here to buy Apple back then because allowed Windows to run on them. I came sooo close to buying then at $55 a share for a small $30k first investment directly, and chickened out at the last minute since all we hear about are the losses more so than the profits. The only other company and person I followed closely was Tesla and when they went public I finally forced myself to follow my gut, and not miss out like I did with Apple. Like last August it appears that it won't go below 22.5 soon but I expect one more tank before the Model S starts delivery this year sometime in mid 2012. They won't make any money until then and the losses are all in finishing up the production facilities at the factory and finishing up the safety testing etc. These last phases of testing and approvals is the same as they did for the roadsters and should pose no problems. Just like they did with the Roadster when it became the first Hwy capable EV in full production. But if it ever drops below 22.5 again I am buying more.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Amen Jim. I have limited experience but I know to buy low and sell high. Emotionally it appears that investors sell low in a panic and buy when high because they think it is a success. We bought a lot of shares of our USAA Funds, from 2007 to 2010 when I was working because the shares were tanked. We bought shares for pennies on the dollar compared to several months before we started. We only recently bought our first shares of stock directly. That only because we believed in the man and the company, still do, and only one other time, Apple in 2005 when they announced they were going to be switching to the Intel chipsets. I posted here to buy Apple back then because allowed Windows to run on them. I came sooo close to buying then at $55 a share for a small $30k first investment directly, and chickened out at the last minute since all we hear about are the losses more so than the profits. The only other company and person I followed closely was Tesla and when they went public I finally forced myself to follow my gut, and not miss out like I did with Apple. Like last August it appears that it won't go below 22.5 soon but I expect one more tank before the Model S starts delivery this year sometime in mid 2012. They won't make any money until then and the losses are all in finishing up the production facilities at the factory and finishing up the safety testing etc. These last phases of testing and approvals is the same as they did for the roadsters and should pose no problems. Just like they did with the Roadster when it became the first Hwy capable EV in full production. But if it ever drops below 22.5 again I am buying more.

Derek

I am "paper trading" that TSLA position we discussed in Nov. If you like, I'll send you the spreadsheet sometime. You may find it interesting.

Jim

Jim
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Awww jeez Jim,

Sure I would love to see it and see if I understand it.:)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Awww jeez Jim,

Sure I would love to see it and see if I understand it.:)

Sorry Derek, the Escapees system won't allow me to attach an Excel spreadsheet to the message.

Jim

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Jim,

Read below.

Dang Duke! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Going back to the "are you in".....I did what I posted originally in this thread....moved almost all my positions to Large companies, paying good dividends, undervalued, with good worldwide income sources. They have done well - some might say very well. And I'm staying put in them for now. Not that anyone cares.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There will come a time to get out. Unfortunately market timing is a fools mission. Very few people can do it well in normal circumstances. But if Europe goes kaput....which it will at some point....that is the time I will move to almost all cash. I'll get "hurt" on the way down, but I'll react fast enough that the pain should be tolerable. Or, one "could" take the position that it is happening soon and just get out now. Just depends on your comfort level. Nothing is forever,and I don't believe in "long term" investments any more. At one time they worked, and could work well. Not so sure any more. JMO, take it for what it is worth - nothing. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There will come a time to get out. Unfortunately market timing is a fools mission. Very few people can do it well in normal circumstances. But if Europe goes kaput....which it will at some point....that is the time I will move to almost all cash. I'll get "hurt" on the way down, but I'll react fast enough that the pain should be tolerable. Or, one "could" take the position that it is happening soon and just get out now. Just depends on your comfort level. Nothing is forever,and I don't believe in "long term" investments any more. At one time they worked, and could work well. Not so sure any more. JMO, take it for what it is worth - nothing. :)

Well stated.

My own getting into and out of the stock market every 5 to 10 years is not exactly market timing, at least not short term timing. And yet even doing it "long term" still requires getting back in (which I did selectively and well in 2003 through 2006) and I blew it in 2009 by not getting back in. (Although our rather small amount in bond funds have helped, at least until now - because I am no longer in them!)

The reason I did not get back in in 2009 was because I agreed with those who were and still are saying that the financial/debt crisis is not over. Not just in Europe, but also in the US. But even if that is true - and it may be false - that is not the same thing as saying the stock market will not rebound as it in fact has. I sometimes try to make myself feel better by thinking that my problem is that I knew too much about the underlying economic causes of the debt crisis, but not enough about the "manic depressive" stock market. Ha Ha how good I can be at making myself feel better.

Only time will tell about the crisis and even "then," as now, each of us has to decide how we manage our funds. I am probably more risk adverse than the average person and coupling that with no great need for more financial wealth I will probably always be playing it safe (as I see it) rather than boldly. I don't mean that I have a lot of money. I mean that I don't need a lot of money, but I do have a strong need for financial security. I grew up pretty poor, and I knew it, and that has shaped my need for security much more than wealth. Probably because I was part of a huge extended poor family that overflowed with love and good humor for and with each other. I was luckier than I thought at the time. Fortunately I know it now.

Cheers John

Edited by mcbockalds

John & Karen "1/3 - timers"

The best things in life aren't things.

Avatar: Padre Island National Seashore, TX

2008 17' Taylor Coach, Lightweight Trailer, 2050lb Dryweight (axles and tongue)

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

I suppose I would get back into stock funds if I quit reading people like economist John Hussman. Somehow I am more inclined to bet my money on those who show me their models, assumptions, data sets, reasoning and analysis, compared to those who do not. It can be the difference between "data sets" versus "data points" or between "leading" versus "lagging" economic indicators or between "predictive strength" versus "hopeful expectations." If all knowledge were simply relative (back to the 60's: "My reality is my reality.") it might simply boil down to: "the differences listed above are in the eye of the beholder." I don't believe that for a moment.

And for the moment Hussman's and the ECRI models are still pointing to recession in the future. In the words of Hussman,

I do not hope for a recession. Rather, that is the expectation that the data forces on us. Frankly, much of my time in recent weeks has been devoted to analyzing data in the hope that a more compelling case could be made for avoiding a recession, since that would free us to be more constructive should market internals improve. But that's not what the evidence indicates here, and the recent economic data hasn't reversed that conclusion - not yet at least.... I don't challenge rosy outlooks because I enjoy being defensive - I don't. In fact, I can hardly wait for market conditions where risk is priced appropriately. It's just that Wall Street's simplistic cases that stocks are cheap and recession is "off the table" just don't hold water when we examine the data.

Cheers John

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

Jack,

Even I understood that, and the same for your comments John. I have nothing to add except that I agree Jack. Predicting the market is fruitless even when it is one stock and you know the plan and the predicted reaction. I told all that mine would tank in this time period and if it hits 22.5 or less I am buying one last block. That is only for this year and until I see what the full production goes like. However, I had a gut feeling that I should have sold it when it was at almost 35, and then bought later lower and ending up with many more shares. Instead I thought it could stay close or go up again and I lose shares. I am still firm in my estimation but who am I really? I accept the title, self proclaimed, as the least knowledgeable person in this discussion. I got an excellent treatise on the way that Jim did an analysis but to be honest it scares the heck out of me. But thanks Jim it was eye opening and maybe something I will use if I become an EV millionaire!

:lol:

As if . . . .

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Derek

Believe it or not the name "Tesla" came up in a conversation I was having with another RV'er. He is an electrician and he was talking about this guy named Nikola Tesla who was an inventor in the early day's of electricity. So I googled him and he was quite an interesting guy. A little nuts but interesting none the less. I guess that's where they got the name for the electric car company you are investing in.

Sorry for straying from the post topic.

Jim
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Jim,

Just one more digressing post as others may not know anything about him either. Here are some of the more interesting excerpts from that Wiki article you read. I studied Tesla in College when doing my degree in IE! I have always been a fan. The world would be much different had he won out over Edison. I think that frustration later wore on him and resulted in his problems. Yes they did name it after him and in cognizance of how much he actually did do. Two short Excerpts:

"Because of his 1894 demonstration of wireless communication through radio[3] and as the eventual victor in the "War of Currents", he was widely respected as one of the greatest electrical engineers who worked in America.[4] He pioneered modern electrical engineering and many of his discoveries were of groundbreaking importance. In the United States during this time, Tesla's fame rivaled that of any other inventor or scientist in history or popular culture.[5] Tesla demonstrated wireless energy transfer to power electronic devices in 1891,[6] and aspired to intercontinental wireless transmission of industrial power in his unfinished Wardenclyffe Tower project."

"After the FBI was contacted by the War Department, his papers were declared to be top secret. The personal effects were sequestered on the advice of presidential advisers; J. Edgar Hoover declared the case most secret, because of the nature of Tesla's inventions and patents.[120] One document stated that "[he] is reported to have some 80 trunks in different places containing transcripts and plans having to do with his experiments [...]". Altogether, in Tesla's effects, there were the contents of his safe, two truckloads of papers and apparati from his hotel, another 75 packing crates and trunks in a storage facility, and another 80 large storage trunks in another storage facility. The Navy and several "federal officials" spent two days microfilming some of the material at the Office of Alien Properties storage facility in 1943, and that was it, until Oct., 1945.[121]Tesla's family and the Yugoslav embassy struggled with the American authorities to gain these items after his death because of the potential significance of some of his research. Eventually Mr. Kosanović won possession of the materials, which are now housed in the Nikola Tesla Museum.[122]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

So Derek - Did you ratchet a bit more into Tesla on today's activity?

I've enjoyed popping into this thread, as it covers from sunny days ahead, to baton down the hatches doom and gloom... And, that is what makes this board, you get multiple experiences and opinions...

Best to all, and happy coffee can burying to those it applies too. And may your stocks/bonds/ETF's/DRIP's soar, for those whom remain in... Those of you that play short, may the dips ahead bring you tax paying rewards:)!

TGIF! To those whom remain in the work force, I know I'm pleased it is Friday...

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty all I can say is thank you! I missed it completely and if you read back I have done that every time it dropped like a K-mart thermometer in a blue norther. I saw it doing its normal stable upward climb. I just did put in a buy order but I only have half of the amount I did before that I was able to scrape together to get ready for this. I bet it opens above my 22.5 again and I have to wait again. Dang, you'd think I would be ready. I honestly thought it would not again since this is the year but it is doing what I expected. I got caught unawares once more. Yes I am buying low and thank you for alerting me as I might have missed it all weekend. I just saw that it started bouncing back already after hours. It turns out that two key personnel left the company today but confidence seems restored again. But thanks for the heads up because if it does dip again Monday I will get my last lot. Here is the story on it I just found on reading your post:

http://news.investors.com/article/597826/201201131504/tesla-stock-falls-as-engineers-leave.htm?ven=yahoocp&ven=yahoo

Shoot! I cut my eye and was at the Docs most of the day. It will heal fine and I am on the eyedrops for the weekend. Dagnabbit! Did anybody else get some at the low??

That I did not expect at all. Thanks again Smitty.

So Derek - Did you ratchet a bit more into Tesla on today's activity?

I've enjoyed popping into this thread, as it covers from sunny days ahead, to baton down the hatches doom and gloom... And, that is what makes this board, you get multiple experiences and opinions...

Best to all, and happy coffee can burying to those it applies too. And may your stocks/bonds/ETF's/DRIP's soar, for those whom remain in... Those of you that play short, may the dips ahead bring you tax paying rewards:)!

TGIF! To those whom remain in the work force, I know I'm pleased it is Friday...

Smitty

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I'm not the only one. Here is an article from Seeking Alpha:

Excerpt:

"I already have a small position in Tesla, having recommended the stock on a few occasions last year. However, I intend to use the current weakness in the stock price to build a significant position ahead of what should in the end be a solid launch of the Model S."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/319621-tesla-stock-collapses-but-looks-massively-oversold?source=yahoo

And this grudging agreement with my assessment from Motley Fool:

Excerpt:

"Tesla, of course, is on track to launch its all-electric Model S sedan later in 2012 -- a launch that will be the make-or-break moment for the audacious Silicon Valley startup. That launch will almost certainly be a success, at least initially -- Tesla has thousands of preorders (and $5,000 deposits) and has already said that the initial production run is sold out -- but for Tesla to succeed as a business, the Model S has to get sustainable sales traction, to find customers beyond the circle of well-heeled gadget geeks and early adopters who ponied up all those deposits."

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/01/14/did-ford-just-crush-tesla-motors.aspx

That article is titled "Did Ford Just Crush Tesla?"

All through my posts I clearly stated that my position is until the cars are delivered and then the hard decision comes. When to sell if ever? So buying more now cheap is the only way to go. There will be good profits for me once the cars start to get hwy time. Which is what I have said all along. And this is the last pre debut buy opportunity in the next week or two before the stock climb to, and likely higher than the $35.00 high they reached previously. But that is opinion. It could go to 30 or 34 and tank for good, or not have a single problem and be at 200 a year from now.

The question isn't is it a good buy now, or whether it will go up significantly. Even the naysayers agree it will have a good launch and profit this year with the Model S. So the make money and get out crowd has an opportunity to make ten bucks a share or so. As always the question is when to sell if ever. Of course remember I am not knowledgeable so anybody taking my position needs to do so on their own. My disclosure is that this is my first, and most likely only, venture into direct buying and selling of stocks. My only reason was that I followed the company and the technology as well as the owner from day one almost. I watched them, before their IPO, design, test, manufacture, and deliver, the first all electric high performance super car successfully in 2008 like they said they would, and on time, exceeding all performance expectations and beating the higher priced 911s and most of the Ferrari, and Lamborghini in the process for million less per car. No one doubts they will do the same again. The recurring theme is that it is a passing phenomena. I don't think so, and I am not alone. So I may goof in the future. But it is unanimous about this year to debut and production.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I put in a buy order and am ready now for the next dip. I missed it and it was over 23 in after hours trading, opened this morning at 26.62, has been as high today as 27.34, and is now almost to 27 and up 4.00 and is climbing again. :( :( I learned to have a buy order in before a stock crashes to buy when that is my desire. I know, my inexperience shows.

On edit:

"Today's noteworthy upgrades include: Tesla Motors (TSLA) upgraded to Buy from Neutral at Goldman...Tesla Motors upgraded to Buy from Hold at Wunderlich"

http://finance.yahoo...160635.html?x=0

<sigh> Missed it. Take my advice, I am not using it right now anyway. :(;)

On another edit: Talk about rubbing salt in the wound:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/11378289/1/buy-tesla-after-share-price-collapse-analysts-say.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

It never got down to my buy price of 22.5 and I did not adjust slightly up as I did not know it crashed until after hours. It is now up 4.43 at 27.21. People who grabbed it Friday are ahead from opening today by 19.44% <groan> :angry:

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

re: "The world would be much different had he won out over Edison." -- say what?

He did win over Edison with Westinghouse's backing and that is why the primary grid we use today is AC.

As for the wireless power distribution and papers and whatnot - you musta' been watching that show on the History Channel :D

It was quite a tussle between Tesla and Marconi over radio, too. I think Tesla got some traction on that as well.

If you think patent issues are a big deal today in regards to high tech investments (back on topic!), Tesla and Edison and Marconi and other high tech entrepreneurs of their day can provide some good lessons in just how difficult it can be to pick winners and why venture capital is so risky.

Tesla's departure from Edison's lab also has some good lessons about employee intellectual property and employee nondisclosure agreements and trade secrets that are quite like the issues many software companies face these days.

In the capital markets, we have some really rough waters right now. That provides opportunity for a select few. For most of us, though, we either sink or keep bailing while hoping for better weather. I'm afraid it's likely to take a while.

---

Bryan

Tesla moved to the United States in 1884. When he arrived, he worked as an assistant to Thomas Edison, then in his late 30's. Edison had just invented the electric light bulb, but he needed a system to distribute electricity to houses. He designed a DC (direct current) system, but it had many bugs in it. Edison promised Tesla lots of money in bonuses if he could get the bugs out. Tesla took the challenge and ended up saving Edison over $100,000, which was millions of dollars by today's standards. Edison later refused to keep his promise. Tesla quit not long after that, and Edison spent the rest of his life trying to discredit Tesla (which is the main reason why he is so unknown today).

Edison not only welched on his bonus promise and lost Tesla, but he spent the rest of his life discrediting him to good effect. His late instabilities are tied to that frustration. Tesla won out with AC, but not with radar, and a thousand other things. Here is a very good and short history of him with some other links. He was more than interesting in my book, and suffered at the hands of JP Morgan withdrawing support, as well as Edison etc.:

http://www.electroherbalism.com/Bioelectronics/Tesla/TeslaversusEdison.htm

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

re: "He was more than interesting in my book, and suffered at the hands of JP Morgan withdrawing support, as well as Edison etc." -- ditto on that! Tesla was a fascinating iconoclast up there in many respects with Howard Hughes -- not too many in that club (that we know about, anyway).

---

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder of that sage market wisdom, "Buy low and sell high." :) I wonder what time it is now? ;)

Here is a fun read by Gary North.

I read a bullish-on-the-stock-market article today that was so bad I almost posted it here, but decided someone might take its advice and buy stocks. Its gussied-up argument boiled down to, "the stock market indexes (Dow, S&P) P/E ratios have been below their long term averages for 3 years now and therefore they should go up!" Truly a pitiful application of "buy low sell high."

Cheers John

I detest Facebook. I will be buying Facebook when it IPOs in a couple of months. I missed that one day buy opportunity for Tesla for a final block and I doubt that there will be any more buy opportunities before the Model S comes out and the hard decisions have to be made. I don't know the market or investing but I do know what tech most likely will do for several companies new and not so new. ;):D

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998