Are You Still In?

Guest cindona

I totally agree, John. Not that it matters..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I totally agree, John. Not that it matters..... :)

Right you are. Ha. Just two similar opinions! :)

Cheers John

John & Karen "1/3 - timers"

The best things in life aren't things.

Avatar: Padre Island National Seashore, TX

2008 17' Taylor Coach, Lightweight Trailer, 2050lb Dryweight (axles and tongue)

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still 100% in cash in all my accounts and have been since the end of March. I lost out on about 5% of potential market gain by not being invested (I sold some in Jan and Feb at lower prices than my biggest sale in March and collected interest that was lower than the dividends afterwards).

Last Friday, I bought SPY puts at $140 for Dec 22 and $135 on Jan 19. The last time I bet that the market was going to go down (spring of 1999) was a few months before the dot com bubble burst. But I shorted 4 internet stocks and lost a LOT of money. At least this time, I've limited my exposure by using puts instead shorts.

Dan

A brief update. If I had sold all of my puts at Friday's market close price, I would have made a 17% profit. I haven't sold any of them so far.

Dan, I will share with you the one thing I have learned about investing that keeps me out of trouble. "Don't be greedy".

Every time I break that rule I regret it. I rarely regret the opposite - selling a position before I think I've squeezed the last dime out of it.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

A saying in the business "Hogs get slaughtered"

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Excerpt:

"At a New York City event, Tesla Motors’ Model S was named Car of the Year by Motor Trend magazine.

The selection of the Model S marked the first time a vehicle with a non-combustion engine won this prestigious award in its 63-year history.

Even more amazing than the win by Tesla’s electric car is that it won by unanimous decision."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/romney-biggest-loser-scores-huge-050000067.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Dan, I will share with you the one thing I have learned about investing that keeps me out of trouble. "Don't be greedy".

Every time I break that rule I regret it. I rarely regret the opposite - selling a position before I think I've squeezed the last dime out of it.

These clichés about the bulls, bears, and hogs and the transition from "seeking a fair profit" to being "greedy" all sound so sensible. But, please explain exactly how you define when you've crossed that threshold. I've never found an implementable strategy or rule for making this important decision. Unless you can define how this decision is reached the "advice" is pretty much useless.

---Ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Aside from being named car of the year, and all the accolades, the stock is climbing pretty fast again. I am long term so won't be selling but it looks like it may pass the big 40 finally. There were so many folks shorting it that they may have pulled out finally once they saw that Tesla was in the black Several folks here played Tesla with me and if any of you are still in with Tesla it is looking good.

Back a while I mentioned that the dip was likely the last real buy opportunity for awhile. No gloating here just positive news not negative. It is no surprise to me as I have been saying all along what would be happening before during and after the Model S launch. I can't gloat about what I already was sure of.

I just popped in to let all know that Tesla's arrogant world changing, history making, CEO, Elon Musk, has two other companies, both of which are also disruptive in their approach.

Solar City was about to IPO, but postponed, and I think I know why. Solar City was positioned as an installer in a world glut and lowest prices ever for solar panels. Their IPO would have made them the second largest solar company ion the world. However with the fiscal cliff controversies flying I would hold back to see which way the wind blows before i went forward with an IPO for a company that would do well with Government subsidies to individuals for solar and green incentives.

SpaceX just got the first ever two contracts from the Air Force ever awarded outside the Boeing Lockheed consortium for launches.

Insofar as my listing above that he is world changing, he invented PayPal, and that has changed the world and online commerce forever. He made history being the first ever private spacecraft to dock with the ISS successfully. He changed the world when he not only built the first highway capable high performance long range electrical car two years before any weak economy car looking and driving EVs came from the big three once they saw Tesla actually doing it, but he actually put it into production and sold every one of them for the first two years of production. And he took payment in full up front on those for the first year.

I am only letting others who may not be looking at what is being done, know where to look.

Space X has not IPO'd yet and has contract from governments and companies all over the world now.

Exciting times.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Now that would have been a great cross country trip Newt! I wonder if he was the first ever to cross the continent in an EV? By the time I could afford their third stage consumer priced models they will likely have most of the nation covered with their fast 30 minute chargers that are free for Teslas.

I have to pause to pop the bubble a lot of folks operate in when talking about EVs.

The first is the myth that it can't go long range for trips and that the recharging infrastructure is not in place. Back when cars first started it would have been much faster if there were cans of fuel and a dipper in every home to power anything gasoline but it took too long without drive up larger volume pumps. There is electric everywhere to charge, and planned free stations. These fasr recharge stations are solar, require no tanks, bio hazards, no delivery trucks, and could be placed in neighborhoods eventually, as the vehicles that use them are silent, and emit no noxious gases.

Besides, I am no longer 25 years old when I thought driving non-stop for 22 hours from Co. Springs, to Shreveport for the holidays. I need a 30 minute break after three hours behind the wheel. When fulltiming 200 miles a day behind the wheel was enough. That was 15 years ago when I was first retired at 45. Today if I drove for eight hours I'd need assistance to get out I'be so stiff and sore! :lol:

Put another way. I remember when we did Alaska as a two rig caravan with another couple, using the AlCan on the way up, and the Cassiar on the way back. We worried that diesel would be available every 250 miles or so because we had one ton duallys that had 30 gallon tanks and got 10 miles per gallon towing heavy in 1999. But we never even thought about electricity. We were always able to plug in our rigs, even though, like an EV, we needed bigger cables for power and bigger plugs, plus higher amperage than most homes or fuel stations were equipped to provide. The electric is there. All they are lacking are the wiring and outlet pedestals, just like RV electrical hookups but different volt / amps.

The electricity and infrastructure is already in place. Like when we installed a 30 and later 50 amp box at our family land to park on for a few months every winter, the infrastructure even in rural setting is already there.

Now that charge times are down to 30 mins for trips, and they already have the California corridor supplied with free solar charging stations, and plan nationwide free charging stations for their cars, the adoption rates will climb as fast as my stock.

Or not. ;)

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Me too Newt! I don't think that'll be a consideration for long though.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

All of the brouhaha here kind of reminds of a Robert A. Heinlein quote.

“Don't ever become a pessimist, Ira; a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun--and neither can stop the march of events.”

Robert A. Heinlein

TANSTAAFL

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I'll take all of my money out and go buy gold to bury! ^_^

Gold! Now THERE is a good investment (he says with sarcasm). :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

Although no one specifically asked, now is the time to be planning to get back into the market. I say planning because one of two things will happen. The market will take off in the early Jan.Feb.Mar or the market will drastically drop in early Jan.Feb.Mar.

If it takes off, you might want to be in a position to get back in where there might be a nice return to be made for the year.

If it drops, you want to be in a position to buy low.

If you do some planning now on what might be good to buy (either way) you will be ahead of a lot of people.

Two things to think about while you plan.

1. A lot of funds owe a lot of Apple stock and if they start selling it off, that will create a lot of capital gains next year. You will be paying the CG even if you didn't get the rise in the stock.

2. After a lot of reading, it is for sure that no fund can beat the market year in and year out. Indexing is the only thing that can match the markets.

Edited by TheDuke

Probably will see a lot of people taking capital gains (like Apple stock) in the next week - in anticipation of a rise in the CG rates next year. Also, a lot of companies (like Wal-Mart) are paying dividends this month, again in anticipation of dividend rates going up next year. Plus mix in the fear of the fiscal curb and it should be an interesting week to watch.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Folks think that I have rocks in my head, but I only have a 10% exposure to the market thru a lifecycle fund...the rest in cash. Since I'm about 2 year away from retirement and still getting the employer match on my 401K contributions I figure I don't want to risk any losses. When I exit, I plan on tapping my 401K funds first, letting my pension mature since its guaranteed to grow at 5% . I realize I may be leaving money on the table by not participating in the market, but I can sleep at night. I don't have any risk tolerance at all....once retired will move funds into some type of guaranteed immediate payout annuity.

I don't know who you work for but I would move my 401k out to a national broker immediately upon retiring. Depending on who your company uses for the 401K, you should be able to put the money into the same exact or very similar funds. This creates two things, you won't be dependent on your old company doing your business, and also you will probably get a little better return as there would be no internal fees that your company now pays (you pay actually)for managing the 401k. There are too many instances of companies raiding pension and 401k systems when they need money. Sure it is against the law but when has that every stopped someone from doing it.

2012 turned out to be a very good year for investments and trading. Now it appears like we are off to a good start with overnight news. I am glad I did not bet against the market or sit on the sidelines. Cautious yes but not pessimistic.

Hoping the other investors on here are smiling today.

Newmar Essex w/ CRV Toad

Yep!

Solar city IPO'd and SpaceX expected to IPO this year too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Guest Connie B.

I read this thread occasionally. Haven't commented before but feel compelled to now. We ALWAYS stay in the Market and bonds with little cash anywhere. In 2012 hubby's 401K made 16% and my IRA (rolled over my 403B to an IRA) was around 12%. Outside money in Fidelity around 6%.

My opinion is you choose excellent no load mutual funds with reputable firms. You keep a mix of 70% stocks and 30% bonds. You reposition every year to keep the 70/30 balance. The rest of the time you keep your hands off. You can't time the market and you Never know what the future holds.

Has worked for us. We retired at 55 and 49 and have been living well since. We NEVER panicked when the market/bonds went up or down. Well, maybe a microsecond panic. And we are what is called well to do.

Just a suggestion for you investors out there might be to read "The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing" by Paul B. Farrell, JD., PHD., columnist, CBS Marketwatch, 2004. While the numbers ($) are out of date the concepts are not. Basically what he says is that the best outcomes on investments are those that buy indexed funds to the market, 60/40 mix, hand's off, and reposition once a year. He has worked the statistics for past years markets to come to these conclusions. I personally am not risk adverse and so have a 70/30 mix which I feel is best for our monies growth.

My opinion as I do the investing for hubby and me. B) Connie B.

PS. Every year we have taken out the MRD (usually in January) from hubby's 401K we have made the MRD back and MORE during the rest of the year!!!!

Edited by Connie B.