CLASS OF 2016

Hi all! Well we survived the drivers of Orlando, FL. Man, they are some crazy drivers. Got run off the road once and then had a VW blast by me on the interstate... in the emergency lane running about 80. Unbelievable!

Turkey Lake Park, a city owned park turned out to be everything the site stated. A very nice and well maintained park. The only thing on the downside was the floor in the showers. They were dirty and looked like they had not been cleaned all year. Thankfully, I had shower shoes. :P Other than that, it was a quiet park even with 200 boy scouts camping less than 500 feet away. They do not have internet anywhere but near the front gate.

Sea World was fantastic. The shows were all well done. I even rode the Kracken. Fair warning, not for older folks. My granddaughter rode it several times and said it wasn't bad, so I tried it. I won't believe her again. :lol: Made it to Coco Beach and watched the launch of the Xspace rocket. Beautiful site.

As you may have read, my granddaughters are in Little League All Stars. I was suppose to go to NC at the end of June, but now I find out that they have double elimination games from June 30 to July 2 so that cancels my plans for NC. The wife will be going up to see our DS, but I'll have to remain behind. Hopefully, I can fit in a few days with him towards the end of July. I really need 2 of me. Sometimes I feel that I am being pulled apart. Guess that's what Grandparents do, so as a grandparent,I do it.

Haven't heard any travel plans from anyone lately. What's up folks?

Be careful of the other drivers and have fun.

logo.png
imadtchmn (I'm a Dutchman)
1998 Chevy Silverado Dually 6.5L TB Diesel w/plenty of power mods
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33LRK 3 slides
Class of 2016 Come visit our Class

event.png

We're getting there one day at a time. Wishing for a fast forward button.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am glad you had an enjoyable time down in Florida. I think that there are crazy drivers everywhere in this country. You just have to be alert whenever you are driving.

The DW and I went to Yosemite Nat’l Park yesterday (just for the day). It is only a three hour drive from our home here in Livermore, CA. Had a wonderful time and the weather was great! The last time I was there was 45 years ago and the DW had never been there. I had forgotten how beautiful the Yosemite Valley is. I took a lot of pictures and I wish I knew how to attach them here. This is one item off the DW bucket list.

Be safe and enjoy your travels

Slowpoke

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

I am glad you had an enjoyable time down in Florida. I think that there are crazy drivers everywhere in this country. You just have to be alert whenever you are driving.

The DW and I went to Yosemite Nat'l Park yesterday (just for the day). It is only a three hour drive from our home here in Livermore, CA. Had a wonderful time and the weather was great! The last time I was there was 45 years ago and the DW had never been there. I had forgotten how beautiful the Yosemite Valley is. I took a lot of pictures and I wish I knew how to attach them here. This is one item off the DW bucket list.

Be safe and enjoy your travels

Slowpoke

To view pictures here do the following:

Load them on a site like photo bucket or image shack etc. Then link them into the thread or reply using the square button in the tool bar with the picture of a tree. You can hold your mouse cursor over the button and it will say "insert image".

Once you have the photos uploaded to photobucket and a link to the first one copied to your clipboard, come here, make sure the text cursor is blinking where you want the picture to be in the reply, then click on the tree button and when the window opens, the highlighted text in blue needs to be deleted. Click delete while it is highlighted in blue, then paste your clipboard link in the box, and hit ok or whatever it says, and repeat for any more images you want. Make sure they are less than 800 pixels wide. If they are, the moderators will assist in reducing the size.

Hope this helps. Would love to see your pictures and yes, this is also one of the places on our bucket list also. :)

logo.png

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Ok, now that I have the margaritas mixed (it is Happy Hour here) and I have our avatar picture changed, I think I can lead you to where our Yosemite Trip pictures are. You can click on the link below,

http://s1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/spearson81/

to get to our pictures. Imadtchmn, I hope you and your wife and everyone else are able to get out here sometime in their travels to visit this wonderful National Park. I sometime wonder if we Californians take it for granted because it is so close. Anyway, the best way to enjoy the pictures is to click on the "veiw as slide show" just above the first picture. :rolleyes:

Slowpoke

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Ok, now that I have the margaritas mixed (it is Happy Hour here) and I have our avatar picture changed, I think I can lead you to where our Yosemite Trip pictures are. You can click on the link below,

http://s1078.photobu...489/spearson81/

to get to our pictures. Imadtchmn, I hope you and your wife and everyone else are able to get out here sometime in their travels to visit this wonderful National Park. I sometime wonder if we Californians take it for granted because it is so close. Anyway, the best way to enjoy the pictures is to click on the "veiw as slide show" just above the first picture. :rolleyes:

Slowpoke

Can you pass me a margarita? I have been and used to live on the west coast. Tacoma, Washington to be exact, and yes, as residents, we do take our parks and sites for granted. I didn't realise how beautiful the west side of our country was until I moved back east. Sure do miss it. Loved the fact that the mountains and the ocean were only a couple of hours away. All we have here are hills (Appalachian Mountains) compared to the Rockies.

Our next two trips are coming up back to back. The first one is to Jacksonville, NC to see our son and daughter-in-law. Haven't seen them for almost a year. I'll be there for 5 days and the DW will be there for a month. When I get back on July 4th, I have 4 days to get ready to go to Gulf Shores for the American League Softball Series there. The granddaughters made it on the All Stars team this year and are going to the series. We expect to be there for a week. It will be a good bonding time for us. Its kind of a hectic schedule, but someone has to do it. :blink: Then its back to home plate, I mean home base and back to work. Whew! It seems to be a busy schedule, but I think I will survive.

Now about that margarita!:)

BTW loved the pictures. Makes me homesick.

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

• 4 weeks later...

I think 2016 will be our year. We are Tom and Karla, we have been talking and planning our life on the road for 4 years now. We don't even have an rv yet, but we have rented a class C and ran around Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Last Saturday ordered our new Silverado.

We have been downsizing now for a year, but Karla's nickname is Miss Tossit, Its is fun getting rid of stuff.

We'll be doing a travel trailer.

Anyway, can we be members of 2016???

Tom

2015 Open Range 291RLS

2012 Silverado 2500 Gasser, 6.0 with 4.1 rear.

Chocofolks, Welcome to the class of 2016. I am glad to see the class grow bigger. We also have been in the planning and downsizing stage for the last couple of years. We recently had a garage sale, but that did not go over all to well because there were 300 other garage sales going on around us that Saturday. But we will continue to try. Like you have done, we have rented a class C once and traveled to the Escapades. I am looking forward to the day I can seriously go out and look for an RV to purchase. We are thinking of a Class A.

Again, Welcome to the class of 2016.

slopoke

Welcome chocofolks. Of course you can join our class. We welcome everyone whether the are going fulltime in 2016 or in another year. We are all here to have fun, learn, and enjoy each others adventures.

Speaking of adventures, here is my latest one. The grand daughters had to go to Gulf Shores, AL for the girls Fast Pitch World Series and with us living near Macon, GA., this presented the perfect camping trip, or so we thought. Now I am one to check the 5th wheel and truck over a day or two before going on any trips. All was fine, checked tire pressures, slides in, final walkaround. All good. We start up the driveway and get onto the main road and now the problem starts. About 3 miles down the road, I notice the 5th wheel pulling harder. I decided to pull off the road into a pull off area and low and behold, the right rear tire has shredded. Never felt anything other than harder pulling. Now this is at 4 am and nothing opens until 8 am. We disconnect the 5th wheel, get the tire off, and the local sheriff pulls up and we inform him of the situation. All is fine and he said he'll keep an eye on it as he drives by on his patrol. Love the LEO's here. 8 am and finally we are able to go to the tire shops. For a fairly large town, it is hard to find any RV tires. Finally find one at one of the shops and he states $166.00 for the tire. Ouch! This tire would be $90.00 anywhere else, but he knows he has me over a barrel so I get it mounted and pay the price.

Now we are on our way and just 5 hours running late, but I still do not hurry. So I'm running late. I did leave a big buffer of time to get there. We head out Hwy 80 towards Columbus, GA and what do you know, they have done some work on the railroad tracks and left the tracks bare without building up in between the tracks sot we now have a very hard hit on the tires. They didn't pop. Travelling on another 25 miles and POW! Another tire blows. Great! We are in the middle of nowhere. Dead center between Columbus and Fort Valley. Found a Discount tire place in Fort Valley, 30 miles back that had some used tires. Can't afford new ones now. Drop 5th wheel, get off tire, take it to them and get it mounted. The owner asks if we would like to have a spare, just in case. Sure, for the price he wanted, of course. So now we are back to the 5th wheel, put on the tire, throw the rimless spare in the back of the truck and off we go. No more problems getting to Gulf Shores.

The girls played hard and came out fairly well considering they were a new team and had only played together for 4 weeks prior to this. They were in the top 15 out of 68 teams. Very proud of them. After a week of playing we are now ready to head back home, tired, worn out and just plain exhausted from the week of games and eliminations. We decide to take off around noon time and off we go. About 1 1/2 hours into the trip we are only 40 miles from our starting point due to the heavy traffic. We get ready to pull up to a stop light and, you guessed it, POW, another tire. I guess the railroad tracks were harder on the tires than I thought. We pull of the road into a parking lot and begin changing the tire and dismounting and remounting the spare by hand. Yup, do know how to do that being a country boy. Got the tire filled and after an hour, we are on our way again. Yippee!!!

We finally made it back home without any more issues on the tires, however we have cancelled any more trips for this year. We are going to spend some money on getting new tires all around, and a spare on the rim. One thing this trip showed me is that looks are deceiving. These tires were only 3 years old, but we do sit a lot. The RR tracks were bad enough to hurt the sidewalls, so we will be slowing down over all tracks from now on.

All in all, I still would not have traded this trip for work. It was hard and costly to get my grand daughters to the World series, but I would not have traded the experience with them for anything. BTW, it was just me with a 10 year old and 12 year old. They braved all the problems well and helped with each tire change. Kudos to them.

So you can see, trips can be costly at times, and I am in no way a rich man, however, a bad day on the road is still better than a day at work, no matter what the problem. Have fun everyone. Until next time.

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

We originally intended to go fulltime in 2012. But, the economic downturn changed that entirely. Now we are looking at 2016 at the latest, and we might even sneak out there in 2015. We intend to purchase the fulltime RV the minute I retire, and hit the road as soon as it is ready. We will rent out our house in SoCal, and intend to be on the road for as long as it is still fun!

Hope to see you on the road!

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

Welcome, highwayranger, to the class of 2016. Doesn't matter when you go fulltime, you're always welcome here. Are you actually an LEO? (feel safer already) Although I already fulltime in my RV, I won't be able to retire until 2016, hence the reason I am in this class. I intend to fulltime on the road until I can no longer drive and then maybe I can talk one of the grandkids into driving for me. Who knows what the future brings.

I see from your profile that you have been around for quite a while. Maybe we can learn something from you as we progress onward to our choice of lifestyle.

Again, welcome to the class of 2016. Make your self at home.

logo.png

event.png

Like you, I intended to go fulltime before my actual retirement date. That's why I started the Class of 2012 thread. But, alas, it will be 2015 at the earliest. Many changes to our financial situation have occurred (like many other folks.) I'll be happy if we can actually pull off the fulltime departure as planned (or as close to "plan" as possible!)

I need you to show me how to insert a countdown timer into my signature!

Roy

Edited by HighwayRanger

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

• 1 month later...

I need you to show me how to insert a countdown timer into my signature!

Roy

Just click on the timer and it will take you to the website. Follow the instructions and copy and paste the information to your signature line. Its the Travel and Vacation one listed there.

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

My name is Bob and my DW is Donna. We are shooting for the summer of 2016 because that is when our youngest graduates from high school. I am in IT and work from home so we intend for me to keep working, but from a traveling home instead of a S&B. We just moved three times in the last four years, which helped is quite a bit with the downsizing. We're both excited about not only going full-time but also getting rid of our stuff. We'll have to get a storage unit while the kids are in college to hold what's theirs until they graduate but it wont be much.

We haven't RVed since we owned a Coleman tent camper 10 years ago (is that really RVing??) Regardless, we know this is what we want to do. As one of the other class members mentioned, I've been doing a TON of research. I'm 99% convinced I'm going the HDT route. Finances willing, we're also leaning heavily towards a New Horizons rig. I'm really interested in NuWa but with their recent announcement, not sure they'll be around in 4 years :-(

I started my own blog to start capturing my thoughts. With all the research I've been doing, I needed a place to capture my thoughts. If it actually turns out coherent, I hope it can be a valuable resource to other hopeful fulltimers like some of the pages I've been scouring for weeks now.

Anyway, wanted to say hi and look forward to meeting you all in 2016!!

Welcome Bob and Donna. Glad to see you're doing your research. Being in IT, one of the things you will have to look into will be internet access. You can't depend on open wifi or campground wifi access. HDT's are nice and the New Horizion rigs are beautiful. Wish I could afford one. Oh well, it helps keep a dream alive.

Again welcome to the Class of 2016. As time to fulltime gets closer, the class will get bigger. Ask questions, laugh and have fun. That's what we are here for.

George and Sherry

logo.png

event.png

Thanks. The cost of the New Horizons is part of why I'm glad about the four year wait. It's definitely going to take that long to get us in the position to afford one. With kids going to college that might get bumped out to 2017 but we're committed to making it work for 2016. Time will tell.

Internet access is definitely one of my biggest concerns. I'm definitely putting a lot of faith into the evolution of technologies, especially 4G. I'm optimistic that by 2016, 4G will be even more prevalent. Who knows, maybe there'll be a 5G by then? As long as there are providers still offering unlimited data, or at least large volumes of data, that's probably the route I'll go. Wi-fi is a bit too risky. Sometimes the signal is too weak, and more frequently than not someone offering wi-fi has it connected to a pretty slow pipe. I know I probably won't be able to replicate the 20mb-30mb download speed I get now but if I can consistently find at least 5mb, I'll be happy. I may have to rethink things in 4 years but pretty confident the options will be a lot better in 2016.

I will definitely be asking plenty of questions, especially as we get closer to 2016. I'm already coming up with my own laundry list of questions I'm trying to research. Those will get posted soon as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as things go, I guess they are fine. We won't be going anywhere until next year. We have 10 tires to get. :( 4 for the 5ver and 6 for the truck. Don't want to risk more problems with blowouts, but money also plays in this issue. We also need to do our yearly maintenance on the 5ver. Repack the wheel bearings, wash and wax the outside, fix a wall where water got in and the wall peeled back, putting in a new tub, etc. At least I won't be bored. :P

Haven't hear from anyone in a while now. What are your winter plans? Are you taking weekend jaunts or staying home? Once everything gets fixed, you can bet we'll be back out there again.

logo.png

event.png

Sorry that I have been absent around here, but my new job has been keeping me busy. Or I should say my two jobs have been keeping me very busy. I have had a part time job since April, but now I also have a full time job to go with it. That’s the good news, :D the not so good news is, the new full time job is 60 miles north of where I live. :blink:

Now my DW and I have a really good reason to down size. This time next year we hope to put the sticks and bricks up for sale and move up to Napa or Sonoma area. I am hoping that I can get this house remodeled sooner. What we will move into is still up in the air.

As for plans between now and the first of the year is we plan on spending Christmas with our daughter, S-I-L and grand daughter in Kansas City and then WORK and more WORK.

Be safe and enjoy yourselves.

Edited by SloPoke

• 3 weeks later...

We are throwing our hats in to the Class of 2016, End of May is what we are shooting for. We have been campers (RVers) for a number of years. We have our second 5th wheel in the drive. Modifications have begun, additional shelves, LED lighting, craft and sewing center for the DW. We have started liquidating things, such as motorcycle, corvette, guns, etc. House will go on the market Spring of 2015, if it sells quick, we may move up to the first of 2016. Our current plans are to long time in different locations, North and South and eventually find the place we will call home base, could take 2 or 10 years. We have family all over the country so we will visit during travels between long time destinations. We are so looking forward to the adventure, although selling, getting rid of things, picking a new domicile (most likely Texas), insurance-health, truck, RV, and all the other things seems alittle overwhelming, but starting 4yrs out seems to make it a very manageable plan, at this time. So heres hoping for good health, good financial markets, and the grace of god, we are all in. Looking forward to keeping in touch.

Edited by JohnandJanice

2015 Montana Mountaineer 356TBF, 2013 3500 SRW Chevy Silverado, LWB, 4x4. We do it because we love it, not because we have to.

http://johnandjanicervadventures.blogspot.com/

Welcome John and Janice. Make yourselves comfortable in our class. Those 4 years will pass by a lot faster than you realize. You will need all those months to get prepared. If you take one room at a time, it will be easier to get rid of items you don't need. Some will be hard to dispose of, but those things can go to children, grandchildren so you can see them when you visit.

The DW and I live in our 5th wheel full time since we gave our home to our daughter and grandkids. We are not full time (as in full time traveling) yet, but plan to be in October of 2016. We took the easy route I guess. Most of our stuff went to our daughter and grandkids, so we don't have much work left to do. I have a shed that has what is left over and it really is not much. We enjoy the weekends that we can take off and normally have the grandkids with us.

Again, welcome to the class. It will get bigger as time goes on. :)

logo.png

event.png

• 5 weeks later...

Thanksgiving is once again upon us. The DW and I want to wish everyone a very nice Thanksgiving and may you enjoy family, friends and good eating on Thursday.

logo.png

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

It's almost Christmas. What are you plans for Christmas this year? Do you plan to travel with your RV or stay home? Lets hear some plans on what you are doing this Christmas.

The DW and I have put up our Christmas tree. Yup, we have a tree in our RV. Every year we have to make room for it and this coming weekend, we will be putting up the decorations on the outside. Just because we live in an RV doesn't mean we don't dolly up for the joyous season. The grandkids love to help with all the trimmings.

Have safe holidays and travels. I'll see about posting some pics soon.

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we are in the cold and the snow. We are just out side of Kansas City, staying with our youngest daughter, son-in-law and grand daughter. We will be staying here for Christmas and New Years. At home we are painting and remodeling the master bedroom and bath. Next will be my den. We are thinking of selling the s&b next year and moving closer to the current job, so I won't have that long commute every morning.

We wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year. :D

Slopoke

• 1 month later...

We are John and Sharon and plan to hit the road in late 2015 or early 2016. We will probably classify ourselves as anytimers since we will homebase out of our S&B in southeast AZ. Our plan is to pick a direction and go for as long as we want and return home until hitch itch makes it unbearable to stay. We have been RVing occasionally for the past 5+ years. We started by borrowing a friend's pop-up for a week. Then we bought a 19ft TT to see if we really liked the lifestyle. We could only go one weekend a month and an occasional week long trip but fell in love with RVing. We traded up to our current 5er three years ago when we reallized we needed more room. We figured the best way for us was to get what we wanted for fulltiming now and have it payed off by the time we were ready to hit the road. This gives us the time to make upgrades and modifications as we go so the 5er will be ready when the time comes.

We just spent the week before Christmas at Disneyland and enjoyed every minute. We were close enough to ride our bikes to the park and come and go anytime we wanted. No waiting for the shuttlebus and got there quicker. We hope to see all the places talked about in this forum and many more.

I have added this post to my notifications so I can keep track of it and stay in touch with the Class of 2016.

Safe travels,

John

John and Sharon

2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS

LevelUp autoleveling system

2009 F350 FX4 SRW King Ranch

Loadlifter 5000

Welcome John and Sharon

Welcome to our class. It doesn't matter if its 2015 or 2016, you are always welcome here. If you have questions, we are all here to help answer them if we can, if not, maybe we can send you to the person that can. Fulltime RV'ing is contagious and the fun of it can't really be described. I love the fact of having a big yard and not having to take care of it, or having the lake out front, or maybe the beach. Although I am not fulltiming yet as the definition of it states, I do live fulltime in my RV at the homebase. Our DD stays in our stick and brick with the grandkids. We enjoy it this way. See the grandkids all the time, and can send them home when we are ready. :)

From the looks of your signature, you have the type of 5th wheel I am hoping to have by the time I retire. I would like to have the self leveling system also but don't know much about them. Does it work well and does it put much stress on the frame? Hope you don't mind these questions.

Again, welcome to the forum and the class of 2016.

logo.png

event.png

imadtchmn,

I love the Level-Up system. I used to use the lego blocks to level the trailer but it allways seems like one block was not enough and two blocks were too much. I would always compromise and make sure the head of the bed was on the high side. Now I push the controls and let the system do the work. It levels front-to-back and side-to-side without twisting the frame. The system was a little pricey but I look at it as an investment against frustration and back pain from hand cranking the rear stabilizers. As I get older, I rely on technology to make life easier.

Safe travels,

John

John and Sharon

2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS

LevelUp autoleveling system

2009 F350 FX4 SRW King Ranch

Loadlifter 5000