CLASS OF 2016

:lol: Happy New Year Class of 2016!! :D Imadtchmn, I hope this new year is a great one for you and your family. Thank You for keeping this 2016 Class thread going. No I have not finished cleaning out my den yet. Puting out the crab pots and pheasant hunting just seem to get in the way. But now I have to get serious about it because I promised DW I would finish that prodject by her birthay in Febuary. We have a RV show starting next week at the fairgounds that we will go to.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

Slow Poke

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, are there only three of us planning to hit the road in 2016??? Whoa…. We are going to be a pretty small class. Maybe there is an advantage to that; being a small class. We could fit in any small pull out along the road and have a class reunion. :lol: Hmmm…see there is an advantage to belonging to a small class.

Imadtchmn, once you are through with remodeling your bathroom, maybe you can come out to California and help me with the two bathrooms I have to remodel before I sell the sticks and bricks.

Anyway, everyone have a safe and Happy Easter

Slopoke

We and my VP of Domestic Affairs have quiet discussions about full timing. However they seem to always revert back to our 9 grandkids and seeing them on a regular basis. We have 5 in Michigan and 4 here in Virginia. We have a 4500 SF home on the 17th green. We bought it because we have a large family and my wife wanted to make sure we have enough room for holiday gatherings. Now we've never spent a holiday in this 4500 foot tax deduction because we are always at our daughters houses. One year in Virginia and next year in Michigan. I'm sure some of you grand parents undestand that. We have decided to downsize and hope we can sell our house next summer and go to something smaller. She says full timing is not for her but extended vacationing is a great idea as we have close friends in GA, NC, AL, Ark, MI, CO and CA (northern and southern). The emotion of getting downsized hasnt started yet. Our daughters certainly have room for most of our stuff but our smaller home/condo/townhouse will still hold our cherished memorabilia. GOD willing, all this will take place over the next couple years as I plan to retire at 65 yrs in 2.5 years. I'm trying to convince her to get her own login on a couple of these RV social network sites so she can talk to some of the oter ladies and get their perspective. If you're travleing in Northern VA and listen closely you might hear one of our discussions about full timing.

Good luck and safe travels

Yonnie & Tina

2011 Tiffin Open Road 35 QBA

Commonwealth of Virginia

There may only be three for now, but in time, that number will grow. I understand about the grandkids. I have 4 myself and the wife has a hard time leaving them for any length of time. To be honest, so do I. Many times they travel with us during the summer. We have a trip to Jacksonville, NC coming up at the end of June and all 4 will be coming with us. The parents will be meeting up with us as they get time off work. The DW and I do have some alone time scheduled. Sometimes you do need that.

I can't imagine having a 4500 sf home. I think I would get lost in it. Downsizing will be quite an adjustment for both of you. I love Virginia and spent some time at Ft Eustis near Newport News. I'm a history buff so that area really fit a niche for me. Love Williamsburg, Jamestown, Richmond, Mt Vernon and all places between.

I agree with having your DW get her own login. There are many women on here that can give their outlook on full and part timing. There are a few women only RV sites also. I belong to 3 RV forums and enjoy, and learn, from all of them. One even has a virtual campfire on Wednesday nites done by chat so people can chat with each other. Mostly general discussion and getting to know each other.

Well when I get near Northern Virginia, I'll keep an ear open to see how things are going.

SloPoke, no problem keeping this class going. It will grow but just takes a little time. I'll be rooting for you to finish your project on time. That would be a good birthday present for her, just don't forget to get her another present also. ;)

Well all, take care and have a good start of the new year and make your plans early. Our first trip is Jan 18 and 19 to Rome GA for my VA physical.

logo.png
imadtchmn (I'm a Dutchman)
1998 Chevy Silverado Dually 6.5L TB Diesel w/plenty of power mods
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33LRK 3 slides
Class of 2016 Come visit our Class

event.png

We're getting there one day at a time. Wishing for a fast forward button.

OH Boy, do we know about grandchildren. The DW and I have six of them. Two in So. Cal., three in Las Vegas, and one in Kansas City, and they make sure we do not forget about them. They are one of the reasons that we plan on traveling in an RV full time. We hope to visit them later this year.

Let's all be safe out there.

Slopoke

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Since there are a few here that live in Georgia, I wanted to let you know about the RV show in Atlanta, Ga the end of this month. Details are here. The DW and I will be going either Saturday or Sunday. Haven't made up our minds yet. They also have printable coupons to save a buck or two. I'm not affilated with the show or profit from it, but it is not highly advertised and when we went last year, we really enjoyed ourselves. This show is what made us decide to go to a 5'ver. Hope the DW doesn't get any ideas for a newer 5'ver, but then, I might get that idea myself. Who knows? ;)

Maybe we'll cross paths there.

Our next trip out will be in February to Georgia Veterans Memorial Park in Cochran, GA. We'll be taking all the grandkids and 2 extra friends of theirs. They are all looking forward to it. B) To be honest, can't come soon enough for me either, but have to repack the wheel bearings and adjust the brakes on the 5'ver first.

Happy Trails all.

logo.png

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

BRRRRRR!!!!! it's been cold here. Low 20's at night and mid to upper 40's in the day. Send us some warm weather, please. Getting ready to go to the Georgia Veterans State park this coming weekend. I have come up with a whole body rash being alergic to something. Not sure what but still going camping. Hopefully, it will be somewhat nice. Looking forward to camping again. Love it even if it's cold.

Looks like we are going to do a bunch of camping this year. We have a 10 trip planned at the end of March, July a 10 day trip to Jacksonville where the DW will stay for about a month. I will need to come back after 6 days. Someone has to work. Then in August, another week in Orlando, FL to go to Sea World. Hopefully not too hot and humid. Looking for a park in the area that is not too expensive but still nice with full hookups.

What are all your plans for this summer. Are you venturing out of your comfort zone and seeing what's out there? Let us know.

Have fun and keep the dirty side down.

logo.png

event.png

It has been cold here in San Francisco-Bay Area also. Some rain, but mostly clear windy days. As for what I will be doing this summer is looking for a new job. After 30 plus years, my company decided that they no longer required my talents. The biggest question the DW and I have been struggling with, is whether to sell everything, buy an RV and hit the road, or continue to try and find jobs. <_<

That is the One Million Dollar Question!!!! Well, at least now I have time to get all my prodjects done around here.

Enjoy your road trips.

SloPoke

Sorry to hear about the job situation. I worry about that also since I am getting close to retiring. Seems the employers no longer feel any loyalty towards their employees anymore. Things are not like they used to be. No more notices on force reduction, having to do more work and more hours for the same pay, etc. Our company hasn't given a raise to anyone in over 3 years now, even though the bottom line of the company has raised thanks to the hard work of all of us. Maybe this year will be different.

As far as selling or staying, that is a question that only you and the DW can answer. Which ever you choose, I wish the best for you both. At this time of your life, things get scary when they don't go as planned. Factors in our lives change all the time and hopefully we will be able to maintain and retire on time. I did manage to get my VA medical taken care of so that will allow us to retire on time. Now, hopefully the job will be there until then.

Our trip to Georgia Veterans Park got cancelled due to rotten weather. Its been raining the last two days and more for today, clearing later this afternoon. Oh well, not everything goes as planned. We do have a week long trip coming up at the end of March, so that will allow me more time to get things done around here.

May everyone's day get better and the future become brighter.

Take care and keep us informed.

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have 29 days left until our first trip of the season. We'll be going to Trace State Park outside of Tupelo, MS. Can't wait. Still have to do a modification to the truck, get the upper control arm bushings replaced on the passenger side, change the oil and service the transmission. Whew, where does the time fly when you have things to do. I still have to put tires on the TT we have so we can put that up for sale. Really don't need both the TT and the 5th wheel. Besides, I could put that money towards our newer 5th wheel we plan to get next year.

We are hoping to go to PPL motorhomes in TX and trade our current 5th wheel with them. Seems they have a good selection. There was a place in Florida also, but I can't remember the name of them. They, like PPL, did consignments and trades. Maybe someone reading this will know of the place I am talking about.

We are also saving up for our trip to Sea World. Found a camping place just outside of Universal Studios and only 10 miles from Sea World and it didn't cost us an arm and a leg for the week. This will be the farthest south we have been. One day....The Keys. :)

Hope everyone is doing ok and planning their trips for this year. I am taking 3 week long vacations, something that I have never done before. Most years, its been 3 or 4 day weekend trips. Not this year. I may run out of vacation days, but I'll run out of them being happy.

Keep the dirty side down ya'll and lets hear from some of you.

logo.png

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well we have one more week of work to go before heading out on our first trip of the year. Starting later than usual, but it will be worth it. I have done the power mods done to the truck and it is mostly ready. I still have the transmission to do and if the parts are in on time, I'll be replacing the brushes on the starter. Yup they are bad and only one set of brushes are working at the moment, so it's turning over about half speed. Thankfully, its summer and the truck does start easily.

The DW is really excited and can't hardly keep her britches on. :D She has been wanting to go to Graceland for many, many years and finally, this year, I can grant her that wish. Makes me feel great.

Our youngest GD has been staying with us for the past two or three weeks and she says she wants to keep staying with us. I haven't decided if we will take her with us or if she will remain at home with her parents. The DW really needs the break away from all the grandkids for a bit, however this one is the quiet one. You wouldn't know she was even there unless you looked. Decisions, decisions. :(

We will be pushing hard the day we leave since we have over 400 miles to travel. We will leave about 3 in the morning and hopefully arrive about 4 in the afternoon taking into consideration, stops and for eating. Sounds exciting to me.

Lets hear from some others on what the are doing and where they are going. I don't want to be the only one posting here. Gets boring doing that.

Take care all and safe travels.

logo.png

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well we got back from our first camping trip of the season and it was FANTASTIC!!! The DW and I went to Tupelo, Ms and stayed at Trace State Park in Belden, MS. We found the road we needed to get to and made our turn. It was a narrow road through a run down residential area and I thought, oh no, this can't be it! For 2 miles we avoided badly patched sections of road and then came to the park. What a difference 2 miles made. The park was lovely and we couldn't have been happier with our spot. We were able to see the lake and enjoyed the shade. The park was exceptionally clean and the shower facilities were the cleanest of any park we had ever been to. I highly recommend this park and the fees are not bad. $20.00 for a non-premium site and that was full hookup. The weather was perfect throughout our stay. 80's in the day and 50's at night. We spent our time between Tupelo visiting all the tourist sites of Elvis and spent one day in Memphis with half that day at Graceland.

Graceland was amazing, though I was a bit disappointed in not being able to see more of the home. In all you get to see about 6 rooms in the home itself and they seem to rush you through it. The DW was extremely happy with it though. She finally can say she's been to Graceland. With the tickets we purchased, we were able to see the airplanes, the car museum and the specialty tours. I enjoyed the car museum the most. I'm not really an Elvis fan, though I did think he had a fantastic voice for ballads.

We didn't want to have to come back home, but work is something I still have to do. I even recieved a call during my vacation to fix something from our remote location. Sure wish they would quit calling me when I am trying to enjoy myself. For now, that's part of my job, I guess. Retirement is looking better as each day passes by.

Let us know where you have been or where you plan to go. Our next trip is in 36 days. This time in the opposite direction....Orlando, Fl. Sea World, here we come. B)

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just found the class of 2016 and we're really hoping this will be our class. It's all about determining how much we're willing to live on as we really want to retire early. But many changes in our lives between now and then...still have kids living at home, none married, so we're still trying to get used to going from a family to just the two of us! Been saying we need to downsize but time seems to get away from us! Anyway glad to see you're here. Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all (small group it may be!).

Pat & Ellen

Newmar Bay Star 3009

?? for a toad...

Just found the class of 2016 and we're really hoping this will be our class. It's all about determining how much we're willing to live on as we really want to retire early. But many changes in our lives between now and then...still have kids living at home, none married, so we're still trying to get used to going from a family to just the two of us! Been saying we need to downsize but time seems to get away from us! Anyway glad to see you're here. Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all (small group it may be!).

Welcome lnanne, We may be small for now, but we have plenty of time to grow. Downsizing does take a commitment to do and time will get away from you. Just think, it's only 4 more years and before you know it, the time will be here. Glad to have you in the group.

I see you are from Vancouver. You live in a beautiful area. The DW and I used to live in Puyallup, WA and sure miss that area, but life led us down to Georgia for a while. Hope to get back to that area for at least a summer. Sure miss looking at Mt Rainer from our living room. :(

Well again, glad you joined us. Keep us informed on your progress and your travels.

logo.png

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! Finally a graduating class for me. I'm murphinator (hint to my last name) and am 51, going to retire from teaching in 2015/2016. I will have my new home sitting in the driveway when I leave. I have been divorced for three years after a 23 year marriage. After the shock of that, had to file for bankruptcy and will be all clear after three more years. I plan on buying my rv as soon as possible and then take the next 5-6 years getting it ready. I am obsessive about researching every aspect of rving fulltime, and it truly gives me meaning for right now. I am single, so it is probably easier for me, but I have remnants from the last 30 years here. Every weekend, I pick a box, or a drawer, or a closet and ask myself two questions: Will I have room in a camper for it? If I haven't used it in the last year, will I? Every Saturday I drive to Goodwill, and take what I don't need. It gives me closure, it helps others, and it really puts a big smile on my face as I realize I am one box closer to my dream. I'm glad to be part of this graduating class, and promise not to drive you crazy!

Welcome murphinator. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you are on your way to getting situated for your retirement. Congratulations on your decision. Don't worry about driving someone crazy, we are all half nuts and the other half is still looking around. ;)

It took us a while to get rid of our stuff too, but much of that went to our children, including the sticks and bricks. We are just about debt free, except for the DW's car that she had to have. Oh well, 4 more years and she'll only be using it when we come back to visit. We are looking forward to our retirement. I'm getting anxious to go and see this beautiful country of ours. I was a truck driver at one time and did see a lot of this country, but I didn't see the countryside. Most of that driving is on the interstate. I want to meet the local people and enjoy what they find as everyday things to them. Bluegrass in Kentucky, shrimp and crab in Maine, ocean prawns in Washington. Yummers!

Well, I think I have rambled on enough. Again glad you could join our small for now group.

logo.png

event.png

I would like to add my welcome to Murphinator and lnanne. I’m glad to see our class growing. You will notice that I am the quiet one of the class. My DW and I are hoping to retire and go full timing in 2016, but with both of us unemployed now, we may have to do it sooner. Inanne, as you said, you never know what life will throw at you or when. We have cleaned out 1 room of the house already and that feels good. I signed us up for the city wide “Garage sale” in June, so now I have to work on the garage.

That is all for now, so :rolleyes: I will fade back into the background.

Slowpoke

Edited by SloPoke

That is all for now, so :rolleyes: I will fade back into the background.

Slowpoke

Now slowpoke, you know that fading is not allowed here. :lol:

logo.png

event.png

Murphinator, I‘m with you. I enjoy celebrating my birthday, but only with a very good aged Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel. Especially one that is between 8 and 10 years old. Good thing I have a few of those in my cellar. In two weeks I will be turning the “BIG 6 0”. I think I will be drinking more than one of them that day. Had a 13 year old Zinfandel tonight with dinner and it was like “Candy in a glass!” :P

Imadtchmn, How about, I don’t fade into the back ground, but hide behind one of the wine barrels at the winery that I work with on week ends? :blink:

Be safe and enjoy your travels.

Slowpoke

Edited by SloPoke

Slopoke--so that's how you get the good stuff. The old "I work at a winery" schtick.... wink.gif

Yup, you work for one or two wineries for 20 plus years (part time) and you end up with not only alot of wine (in my case over 400 bottles) but alot of well aged wines. Now I have to drink them before they turn bad. I may need help...... :D

Slowpoke

Yummmm! I can see the headlines now. "First Class reunion of 2016 has happy get-together meeting News at 11. " :D

Edited by imadtchmn

logo.png

event.png

Well wouldn't you know it. Less than a week before we leave for our week in Florida and our car breaks down. The radiator developed a leak on the plastic tank and needs to be replaced. Also the 2 front tires have broken steel in them. (DW hit 2 curbs):blink: Got the front tires replaced and got the radiator, so Saturday I'll be installing the radiator. That is between getting new glasses and a baseball game with the grandkids. Whew, does it ever end. At least the truck and 5th wheel are ready.

We are looking forward to going to Orlando. This will be the farthest south that the DW and I have been so far. Maybe next year we can make it to Key West.

Ok class of 2016, what places are you visiting this year? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe it will be somewhere that we haven't heard of and want to visit.

Have fun all.

logo.png

event.png

Imadtchmn, I think that you need a vacation. :P

The DW and I will be going to Las Vages in June for our oldest grandaughters 8th grade graduation. the next trip will not be until Christmas when we will go visit our youngest Granddaughter and her parents (our daughter and son-in-law)in Kansas City, Ks.

Have Fun in Orlando.

SlowPoke

Thanks SloPoke. In all actually, our Orlando trip is now on schedule and we leave on Thursday morning early. Now the NC trip has changed. I'll be staying up there for 5 days instead of 7, buuuuuutttt I get to go to Gulf Shores, Al from July 9 - 14 for my grandkids little league world series. Yup, I have 2 girls in fast pitch world series games. This is one mighty proud grandfather. Have a safe trip to Vegas and don't be a stranger here while your gone.

logo.png

event.png