class of 2014..follow along!

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. No, we have been planning this for a while.

But, other than some minor banking/investment changes, we haven't really done anything. The market for selling the bricks-n-sticks house is so poor right now that we are glad we are not yet trying to sell.

Still a ways away from retirement but we are going to start getting rid of "stuff" this year and slowly liquidate it all.

Richard (& Nancy, too!)

'09 43' Allegro Bus (PG) QRP (4th Tiffin)

'48 Wife

'02 Toyota Camry

Demco Excalibar / JUNK Remco Pump

'97 20' Crownline BR

Cajun Pit Bull - Phideaux

Lone Star Allegro Club-

Houston, Texas

Chapter # 153

www.lonestarallegro.net

Hi all, back from the family cruise to Hawaii. Found out it snowed in Santa Clarita while we were gone!!!! That is a big rarity. It is cold here by our standards (won't break 60 today) but I know in some parts of the country that would be a beautiful day. Well want to wish all of the 2014'ers a Happy New Year and remember we are now another year closer to becoming a full timer.

Chris

Chris & Joni
The Beagles now 3 Daphne, Ace and Flash
looking
2016 Acura MDX

http://jnctravelogue.wordpress.com

Hey Team,

Are all you 2014'ers out there hibernating??? No action on this site??? Now is the time to start planning those summer trips. Ours will take us to Yellowstone and Grand Teaton and over thru Washington and down thru Oregon and then back home. What are the plans for your summer trip? Let's exchange ideas, possible iternaries and see if there will be some of us in the same areas this summer at the same time and get to know each other....

Let's not let this topic die a slow death while we wait for summer!!!

Chris & Joni
looking
2016 Acura MDX

Lisa, Oreo, Topsee Turvee and I are going to Colorado this summer for two weeks. We will be celebrating our 25 anniversary in July. Going to Alamosa to drive our Jeep up Mt. Blanca. Visit the great Sand Dunes N P then west on US 160 to Durango, then north to Silverton. We will spend the rest of the trip in the Silverton/Ouray area jeeping and hiking. Thats the big trip this summer, we also try one four day trip per month. We did Branson over New Years. It was nice and quiet. Saw Elvis, the Blues Brothers, George Straight, Patsi Cline and the Temptations. It was great. They all sang Old Lang Sign to us. Thats a great way to kick in the new year. We are down to less than three years. My retirement is 12-31-2013, so 1-1-14 is the BIG DAY for us. Our plan in the next two years is to build a shed/shop on the retirement land that will hold the motorhome, heated and secure. Then when Lisa retires in less than two years, the current house goes on the auction block. If it sells in the last year while I am working, the household goods go in the motorhome shop and I live in the motorhome until the big R. Lisa will live at the River Cabin on Current River, Missouri Ozarks, working on the retirement house. We have a plan. Got to stay healthy and keep the faith, EVERYONE.

Lisa and Greg Kenley

Topsee Turvee the Terror Terrier

Oreo the O.C.D. Border Collie

1994 HR Navigator 38' DP, Restored

2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubi, Pushin

Hello from Swamp East Missouri, USA

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I wish we were taking summer trips! We haven't bought our RV yet, so our summer activity will be household projects with hopefully some outdoor activities thrown in. This is our last big year for working on the house we hope!

I haven't been online too much the past few days. We have a small condo which we were renting out but it is empty now (long story). We are putting it on the market, and someone is coming for a walk through this coming Monday. So we had ten days to do a lot of clean up and upgrading! Guess where we will be all weekend? :D

Jessica and Harry

Fulltimers as of 12/12/12

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD

2011 Heartland Landmark Rushmore

www.rikerrvdays.blogspot.com

Keep you chins up Jessica and Harry. It will come. Good luck..

Lisa and Greg Kenley

Our time will get here sooner that we think. It seems that 2010 went by very quickly. What we need to do is to start sharing what we are doing to get ready. Need to make sure that nothing important gets left out. Like I am planning to have a garage sale this spring to start down sizing on stuff. Whenever we are on a trip and either DW or I see something we say but will it fit in the motorhome or will be have to get rid of it.

One thing we are debating now is whether or not to have a storage locker someplace to keep stuff we just cannot get rid of. Pros and cons on that idea. One that I mention to my wife is that you figure a temprature controlled storage locker will be somewhere around $100 or more a month. We plan to be on the road for at least 20 years if not more. We could buy all new furniture when we are ready to come in off the road for the money we will spend but then again some of the stuff are family heirlooms. What to do??

Chris & Joni
looking
2016 Acura MDX

Storage Locker debate!

Some would say to give the heirlooms to your kids. They would get them anyway when you die. Another option would be to give them to special friends. Some have given objects to family and friends with the option of visiting rights!

If you have no kids and no husband/wife who would have the job of cleaning out your storage locker? At that point who would enjoy your heirlooms?

If you have no family and no friends that would want the heirlooms I say find them a good home. Then those heirlooms can have a new life as heirlooms to the new family.

my $0.02

Chip

Chip

06 SurfSide

30ft class A

2 slides

V10 Ford chassis

We don't have many family heirlooms, basically one set of dishes and a nice dining room set. We are going to give those to my DH's daughter. For the most part, everything else, we are going to sell it or give it away. My sister offered to let us put a shed in her yard and we may do that if we find enough stuff that we really want to save. It will not be climate controlled though, so we could only store certain items there.

Jessica and Harry

I have found the "one". :rolleyes::lol: A 2011 Itasca Sonova model 33C.

Went to the Philladelphia RV Show over the weekend. Maybe that was my mistake?! I really really like it. The TV is at eye level straight across from the sofa and recliner. The bathroom is all enclosed and fairly roomy. The fit and finish was beautiful. I like the Baritone with Honey Cherry interior . The livingroom setup is very comfortable and cozy at the same. The passenger seat swivels around for perfect TV watching. At one time there was 5 guys in there watching the football game and it did not feel crowded. The bedroom has good space for changing clothes and good walk space around the bed. The full wall slide makes it very roomy and everything can be used with the slides closed. It seems to be a good length for getting into all the parks and campgrounds and at the same time it is roomy enough for fulltime.

Sounds like I am trying to convince myself to buy it.

I am going to have a payment when I retire so it might as well be for somehting I really like.

Show price $107,000 Sticker $138,000.

I will need to convince myself to pull the trigger if the dealer can get the payments near what I am paying now.

So who cares if it is another 20years of payments? I'll be having fun!!!

Chip

06 SurfSide

Chip

06 SurfSide

30ft class A

2 slides

V10 Ford chassis

Congratulations, Winnebago makes an excellent product and the company is financially sound to be around. Make sure before you pull that trigger that you get some alone time with just you and your SO. Then make sure you do things that you normally do in a motorhome. Sit down on the toilet and pretend you are taking care of business, is the toilet paper holder where you can get it? Can you do what you need to without cracking your head on a shelf or counter. How about brushing your teeth? Is the sink comfortable? Bathroom mirror? Electrical outlets? Is the bed easy to get in and out of? With someone else there as well? Does the kitchen work for you how about electrical outlets?

Just sit in the motorhome by yourselves. How does it feel

Just a few things to consider.

If you are happy and can get the payments you are comfortable with for the next 20 years then good luck and enjoy, by 2014 you should have all of the bugs worked out so you can go on the road with a broken in and comfortable motorhome.

Chris & Joni
looking
2016 Acura MDX

Chip,

We have the Winnebago DP version of that floor plan and really love the buffet/TV setup. I pretty much alternate between my computer at the table and my reading in the Euro Chair or a movie on the big screen TV.

I do, however, recommend taking one out for an extensive test drive. The wheel base to length ratio on ours makes it not handle as easily as we've been told a longer motorhome handles. But, we fit in smaller campsites so that's a trade off we made. Just something for you to consider.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

After spending the past two weeks fixing up our condo (that we were previously renting out), we got a call from the realtor yesterday and it looks like we may have an offer coming! A potential buyer looked at the condo on Monday and she is interested! We should find out this weekend if she is going to make an offer. :P

Jessica and Harry

After spending the past two weeks fixing up our condo (that we were previously renting out), we got a call from the realtor yesterday and it looks like we may have an offer coming! A potential buyer looked at the condo on Monday and she is interested! We should find out this weekend if she is going to make an offer. :)

Good Luck we will all hope and think positive thoughts for you!!

Chris & Joni
looking
2016 Acura MDX

Well, we accepted an offer! That's the good news, and what I'm trying to focus on. The not so good part of the news is that the offer is 5k less than we listed it for (ie. what we owed on the mortgage). So we will be paying for part of the mortgage payoff and the realtor commission out of pocket. So that's a little depressing. But at least the property will be gone, and it will take us about 10 months to make our savings back with the monthly condo expenses gone. One more step toward our goal!! :rolleyes:

Jessica and Harry

I am happy for you Jessica. :( It must be such a load of worry gone. And you will make up the money in 10 months. Peace of mind is worth that! Looking forward to meeting you in April.

Vicky

Life is an adventure........live it large!

2004 Holiday Rambler Presidential

pulled by 2008 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually

Skp # 104622

http://ivey-theendlessroad.blogspot.com/

Jessica. I am SOOO jealous. We have another year and a half to start the selling process. Good Job you guys.

Lisa and Greg Kenley

Congratulations. If I could get out of our house for $5000 plus realtor commission we would be on the road now!! Keep the end goal in site and keep working towards it, it will be here sooner than we all think.

Chris & Joni
looking
2016 Acura MDX

I am pretty sure me and wife will be class of 2014. It will probably be December of 14, late December. I am 48 and she is 46. We both work for the formerly great state of California. We plan to retire in December of 2014 and hit the road on New Years eve 2014. We have a 2007, 32' Fleetwood Bounder Class A that we bought in December of 2006. We have a 2007 Jeep Rubicon we use to pull behind the Moho. We like Jeeping and wife loves photography. We have 6 grandkids, so we will have to come back to Bakersfield on a regular basis. We would like to keep the house and rent it out, maybe to one of our 4 kids. But if we can't afford to rent it, we will sell. We are buckling down for the next 24 months and paying off all of our small nagging bills.

I am tired of the hustle and bustle of life, always in a hurry to go nowhere.

We plan on going to Lake Havasuu for a week in May and another week in June. We do a lot of local trips to the beach, mountains and desert. We love Death Valley, believe it or not, it is a neat place.

Scott

Scott, Norma and dog Max

2013 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD

2014 Jeep Wrangler JKURX

Class of 2013

Hey Scott, Welcome to the class of '14!! :lol: Over the next couple of years, I think it's going to be great for all of us to be able to compare notes on our preparations! Sounds like you are well on your way. :)

Jessica and Harry

Well, we told two of our adult kids about our plan to go fulltime in 2014. By the look on their faces, I thought we were telling them that we were dying of cancer and they would never see us again. Kinda gave me a sad sick feeling. My wife is finally getting excited, at first she was not happy with the idea. This is fun planning, but also very scary. I hope me and the wife are not retiring to early and run out of money as we get older. But I guess if we wait too long, we may die before we enjoy our retirement years. Life is such a gamble.

I wonder how the other kids will take it, we will soon find out.

Scott

Scott, Norma and dog Max

2014 Jeep Wrangler JKURX

Class of 2013

Hey Scott, Welcome to the class of '14!! :lol: Over the next couple of years, I think it's going to be great for all of us to be able to compare notes on our preparations! Sounds like you are well on your way. :)

Thanks

Scott, Norma and dog Max

2014 Jeep Wrangler JKURX

Class of 2013

Archived