Class of 2011

Neo/Russ

I searched for this date and couldn't find it. If it doesn't exist then I'll start it. My retirement date target is 1/1/11 and Pat's is 3/15/11 and we have several of the pieces in place. We have the fiver. We have the comuter car - smart. And I have the T2 in a million pieces and work nights and weekends to have it roadworthy, painted and ready to run - IF the economy doesn't fall too far.

And today I learned that my trailer company folded..........that was a shock!

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I searched for this date and couldn't find it. If it doesn't exist then I'll start it. My retirement date target is 1/1/11 and Pat's is 3/15/11 and we have several of the pieces in place. We have the fiver. We have the comuter car - smart. And I have the T2 in a million pieces and work nights and weekends to have it roadworthy, painted and ready to run - IF the economy doesn't fall too far.

Good luck! My wife and I are members of the slim class of 2009. a lot to do... Have a blast. Porter.

Vicki & Porter

2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD

1998 Wrangler

http://portviclivinourdream.blogspot.com/

Russ,

We are class of 2012 and can hardly wait. Like you our choice was Teton. Looks like it is back to the drawing board on home selection.

2012 New Horizons Majestic | 2022 F-550 W/Classy Chassis Hauler Bed

Full Time Class of 2012 | Escapee #98787

BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10757;450/st/20120615/e/Begin+Fulltiming/k/f42e/s-event.png

Hope to join you 09-01-11. Economy up or down, I'm out of here. May only be part time at first, see how DW adapts. She's for it but has attachments to her collectibles?

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

jperry29 - at least we were able to find a two-year old Teton so we have ours, now fingers crossed we don't need something that can't be duplicated. Most things are common to all R.V.'s, but say someone ran into the front or rear caps, that could be tough. I am an optimist and I think once this financial crisis settles that Teton may reappear; might be different owners, location or direction, but I have a hunch the brand will survive. I also notice you have two Siberians. We have three Samoyeds so they are kind of dog-cousins.

stickdog - I know what you mean about the economy and maybe only part time. We're in the same boat. We have the trailer and I hope to have the truck finished before then, but if the house doesn't sell that knocks the pins out from under a big part of our funding so we may be part-timers rather than full-timers at the get go. But hey, we can all dream. I understand your DW's collectibles attachment, my DW is the same, but about our dogs and showing them, at least when we can afford it we will do that in the RV.

We are finally starting to get cranked up. We are looking at the Winnebago Tour for our 2011 take off date.

We are also looking for a list of things to do to get ready to take off. Does anyone know a good source for this. When I start thinking about it my mind gets all boggled up. I can start a list but I'm scared I'm going to forget something really important. We have a book, can't remember the name, that a couple wrote that were going to go out for a year and come back to their stick house. It has a great list but it's a different situation.

Thanks

MO

Mike & Mo

Sioux Falls, SD

2008 Winnebago Tour

2004 Jeep Wrangler

www.ourTourx2.blogspot.com

Because of my love of mechanical things I have been a member of this site for a while. However my interests in things changed over those years and I finally realized that I actually was looking forward to retirement. For the longest time I never thought that was for me, but I guess now that I have slowed down a few times on vacations and around home I am beginning to think it may not be so bad. That was why I finally settled on a retirement date of 1/1/11. I tend to procrastinate about some personal things; however I have always worked with tight schedules. So I guess last spring I decided that I needed to know how many days I had to work on my projects so that just maybe they will be ready. I concluded that I needed to know how many days to retirement. I did some searching and found a free calendar for that: www.acutesoftware.com.au and now I check that so I know if I need to get moving. For example for me now there are 829 days to my 1/1/11 date. I just wanted to pass that along for other compulsive folk like me that might find this useful.

I have started the weeding out of “stuff” in my shop and garage, but getting rid of all the stuff in the house is a job unto itself. And even though I “remind” my DW, she isn’t taking an active role in the process – yet. We both tend to be last-minute people so I’m hoping that we can get it all done at that last minute before the T2 pulls out of the driveway.

• 3 weeks later...

Count us in!! My husband and I are retiring 1/11/11 (regardless of what happens with the market!). That's 818 days from today, between now & then we'll sell the stick and brick, sell (or distribute to our kids) all our worldly possessions and buy our new home on wheels.

We've been preparing for our lifestyle change since 2005; we're attending rallys and shows, monitoring forums and diesel class A's, meeting fellow RVers and learning from their experiences. We've been renting a variety of RV's to check out what we like/need/have to have when we do buy. We even have a website.

We're headed to Quartzsite in January for our next immersion into RVing... B)

Needless to say I was thrilled to see there's a class of '11 group out there already & look forward to sharing experiences with our fellow "classmates".

Steve & Karen

09 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH

08 Ford F150 4x4

10 Polaris RZR

Class of 2010

Steve and Karen,

I can't claim any official status in the '11 group, but from all of us '11'rs - welcome to the club.

I chuckled to see your count down since I use one too. And your site is awesome, I take it that is Karen's work from your sign-on name, but you certainly analize and document well.

Hoping all our '11 plans fill the dreams we want.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, may as well say Hi here. Although we'll never be TRUE fulltimers, our plan will be to be on the road 6 or so month out of the year. We need to sell our house, but we'll be keeping our "Barn" in SW Wisconsin. The barn in an in progress work (being converted to a residence) that we will be able to retire to at some point. In fact, this week a septic system is being installed, which will beat the heck out of the 5 gallon bucket with attached lid. Yes, I have a count-down also, 2 years, 2 months and 13 days... but who's counting... My old truck was on it's last leg last year, so we replaced it with something that could pull a camper, we were fortunate enough to have the funds put aside already for a camper when we found a good deal and said why not! I read all about the work/volunteer positions and just drool. The hardest thing facing us is where are going to go first? Is anyone else thinking about where to go first yet?

08 26'Excell, 08F350

Where to go 1st?

For us it was an easy pick. We're NASCAR fans who eventually plan to visit all the race tracks in the cup, we're retiring in January and making our 1st stop the Daytona 500 in Florida would be the perfect start!!

Also we will likely stop in Quartzsite, AZ along the way... If for some reason we still haven't bought a rig by then I understand the January RV show in Quartzsite is a great place to buy, even if we do already have a rig Quartzsite would be a great stop to pick up accessories like solar.

So we'll head southeast for our 1st 2 months... after that ???

Steve & Karen

09 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH

08 Ford F150 4x4

10 Polaris RZR

Class of 2010

• 3 weeks later...

Sign us up for the Class of 2011 :rolleyes: DH is retired on disability and will come into his full pension in 2011. I won't be elegible for real retirement until 2018 but DH is in poor-but-stable health, so I plan to make the most of the time we have together. We plan to take off in early September 2011 for a couple months, return to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons for their fall season, make a loop and return to Georgia for the holidays. We'd like do part-timing at first--you know, Gulf Coast in winter, Pacific Northwest in summer. Gotta wait and see how it goes, healthwise.

DS13 will either go with us on the road or will stay behind with a host family(he is severely mentally handicapped; we're already making preparations for his eventual placement--he's getting bigger and stronger every day!) Hopefully, DD15 will be a freshman in college in 2011 and DS22 will have gotten himself established somewhere other than my basement (although, hmmm, it might be a good idea to keep him around to watch over the house.)

Now, if I can just hang in there at my job for another 2-1/2 years...

• 1 month later...

I don't know about the rest of you, but 2008 brought us a 30% drop in our retirement savings and a loss of what little remained in our house equity. This was stressful enough to make a sane person shut off the retirement countdown clock and resign themselves to working "a few more years, just til the economy turns".

Not us! Despite the bad economy, each & every day I find more reasons than ever to stick with our 2011 plan, such as:

1. Gas Prices. 2008 caused us all to reevaluate our retirement budgets and find cost cutting ways to afford $5 a gallon diesel. Fortunately that trend turned, leaving us prepared & OK should gas prices return to the $5 mark or more likely with a few spare bucks in our pocket should gas prices remain low.
  2. Federal Income Taxes. 2008 brought a new President, one who considers what we earn while working full time "rich" and is guaranteeing income tax hikes when the Bush tax incentives expire in 2010. Our pension income, on the other hand, is substantially less and puts us back down to a 2011 tax bracket which is reasonable.
  3. RV prices. When we 1st started going to RV shows in 2005 we anticipated spending over $300k for a slightly used high end diesel pusher. Today those same models are selling for under $150k.
  4. California Taxes. As long as we stick it out at work we continue to pay California income, sales and property tax, all of which in these "troubled economic times" are scheduled to skyrocket in 2009. Once we retire we will change residency to South Dakota, eliminating income & property tax completely!

I honestly don't know what we'll do if the real estate market doesn't bottom out soon and come back some in 2010, but I do know we'll make due somehow. I sincerely hope the rest of the class of 2011 are maintaining the same positive attitude and would love to hear from you.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you all...

Steve & Karen

09 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH

08 Ford F150 4x4

10 Polaris RZR

Class of 2010

We plan to join the fulltimes class in the summer of 2011. We have started to get rid of some of our 40+ years of collection but progress has been slow. We have attened RV shows for several years and have gone back and forth on between a MH and a fiver. Have been following may forums and fultimer blogs and trying to learn as much as we can. Do have a house to sell so I hope that the market turns around in the next year or two.

Dave

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

• 1 month later...

Hi Russ,

My wife just had her office close so I guess she will officially retire. I'm afraid I have to hang in there for 1-1-11 when she can qualify for medicare and I will be 65 1/2 and really ready to go. Thanks for starting this and we will look forward to that fulltiming day.

Rick

2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver

2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

Thanks for starting this and we will look forward to that fulltiming day.

Rick and Karen,

Like they say, it always could be worse. At least heath isn't an issue. We got hit too, last year our company didn't meet goals so no bonus (no - don't compare me to Wall Street, but even a little goes a long way). No year end bump and starting in Jan we were cut by 20% with a four day work week. Oh well I guess it gives me more time to finish the truck.

And I guess a WELCOME to this group is in order. I haven't seen you here before so keep the comments coming.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Hi Russ

Sorry fo not responding sooner, but I have been busy getting used to being retired. It has been over a month now and I have decided that I love it and wish I could have done it sooner! The only downside is that Rick still is working. :( Darn that health care issue. :rolleyes:

We are planning on attending the Escapade in May since it is practically in our backyard. Sedalia is only 60 miles from Jefferson City. We are so excited for so many of our fellow Escapees are going to be seeing our beautiful state. How many of our fellow 2011ers are going to be there? Would love to hear what everyone's plans are.

Take care all,

Karen

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Hi Russ

Sorry fo not responding sooner, but I have been busy getting used to being retired. It has been over a month now and I have decided that I love it and wish I could have done it sooner! The only downside is that Rick still is working. :( Darn that health care issue. :rolleyes:

We are planning on attending the Escapade in May since it is practically in our backyard. Sedalia is only 60 miles from Jefferson City. We are so excited for so many of our fellow Escapees are going to be seeing our beautiful state. How many of our fellow 2011ers are going to be there? Would love to hear what everyone's plans are.

Take care all,

Karen

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Rick and Karen, My Pat was let go last Friday and we might be in the same boat you are, but she loves her dog shows and since that takes $$ she's going to try the job market again to hold us over until 1/1/11. Life sure throws twists at us when our best laid plans seem reasonable.

Doubt we'll get to that event as my free time is still being spent doing the "restoration" of our HDT, and except for the really hot months Pat is at dog shows on weekends. I'm sure you'll enjoy the event.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve & I won't be able to attend the 2009 Sedalia escapade ;) but are waiting patiently to hear where the 2010 event will be. If you round up any more class of 2011's please refer them to our forum!!

Steve & Karen

09 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH

08 Ford F150 4x4

10 Polaris RZR

Class of 2010

Hello! You can add my husband and I to the Class of 2011. Our last daughter will be graduating high school in June, 2011 and headed to college. We'll be hitting the road shortly after she leaves. For the first few months we plan on staying within a 6 hour drive of home (Dallas, TX) just to make sure our daughter gets settled in okay.

We've been researching and planning this for the past 3 years and can hardly wait! We will be selling our home and, after much research, have settled on a Newmar Dutch Star motorhome. My husband will be taking early retirement from his job and I quit work a couple of years ago. We have started sorting things in the house in the past few months. Where did all this stuff come from?? Most of it will be sold, but some will be passed on to our grown children. I'm thinking we'll have to rent a small storage space for our youngest daughter so she can keep some of our stuff that she wants.

I look forward to getting to know others in the Class of 2011 and hope to run into you all on the road in the future.

Gail and Lee

Dallas, TX

Welcome Gail & Lee!!

Note to all Class of 2011ers: We were planning to put our house on the market in early 2010 but after meeting with our Financial Advisor last week we have moved that timeline up to this summer.

1. She feels the housing market still has not hit bottom & will continue to drop

2. 2009 offers tax credits to home buyers that may/may not be there in 2010

3. Interest rates are at an all time low now & most likely will rise

So that said we've found ourselves kicking into high gear, a push we no doubt needed anyway.

Steve & Karen

09 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH

08 Ford F150 4x4

10 Polaris RZR

Class of 2010

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to leave you guys but we're movin up to the class of 2010!! We crunched the #'s and decided we can afford to retire in 2010 rather than 2011. Our house goes on the market next month and we just put a deposit in on an 09 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH. We're headed to Red Bay, AL next month to take our baby pictures as our rig goes down the line... I wanted to stick some gum in the frame to be captured forever but Steve doesn't think that's a very practical idea, guess I'l settle for being able to sign my name with a sharpie. It is so awesome that our dreams and plans are coming true before our eyes.

See ya all out there!!

Steve & Karen

09 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH

08 Ford F150 4x4

10 Polaris RZR

Class of 2010

Archived