HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

20 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

For any and all Alaska-bound travellers, we're back in Grande Prairie for the summer. If you need a hand with anything, from camping recommendations, service help, or just coffee, please get in touch.

D & R

I am not traveling your way, but a very kind offer. Great HDT spirit.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

For any and all Alaska-bound travellers, we're back in Grande Prairie for the summer. If you need a hand with anything, from camping recommendations, service help, or just coffee, please get in touch.

Dang, I wish we could come take you up on the offer.  We know first hand how well you treat guests.  Maybe we'll catch up with you next winter.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

22 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Dang, I wish we could come take you up on the offer.  We know first hand how well you treat guests.  Maybe we'll catch up with you next winter.

Dangx2, just read your post. Stopped for fuel at the Flying J Cardlock and kept driving.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Last night we boondocked just past Muncho Lake, past Northern Rockies Lodge, approximately mile 470. Large turnout along side the road. All lakes are still frozen with patches of snow along side the road. However, the road is clear and dry and you can easily drive the speed limit. Watch out before the Summit there are a couple of steep downgrades, 10% & 9%.

This trip, we've seen 50 Bison, 4 Black Bear, and 6 Deer.

Tonight we are in Whitehorse.

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Made it to Houston today for a Dr's appointment before heading to the WCR and the weather from Gulfport, MS to Lake Charles, LA was incredible. The rain  had to be falling 4-5" an hour and the wind was blowing 20-25 right on the nose. We ended up sitting on I10 for 2 hours east of Lake Charles waiting for them to remove a semi that hydroplaned and rolled on its side. We arrived at Lakeview RV park in Houston to find that they had changed our site from a 70' pull through to a 40' backend when I ask them where would they like me to park my 26' long truck they moved someone else to the small site. We had a great time at the ECR and hope everyone made it home safely. 

Richard and Evelyn Oder

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

11 hours ago, Heavymetal said:

Made it to Houston today for a Dr's appointment before heading to the WCR and the weather from Gulfport, MS to Lake Charles, LA was incredible. The rain  had to be falling 4-5" an hour and the wind was blowing 20-25 right on the nose. We ended up sitting on I10 for 2 hours east of Lake Charles waiting for them to remove a semi that hydroplaned and rolled on its side. We arrived at Lakeview RV park in Houston to find that they had changed our site from a 70' pull through to a 40' backend when I ask them where would they like me to park my 26' long truck they moved someone else to the small site. We had a great time at the ECR and hope everyone made it home safely. 

Richard and Evelyn Oder

Hi Richard,

P/M sent.       Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Arrived home, Faibanks, this afternoon. 4 days across Canada. For those of you traveling to Alaska this summer. Be prepared for a roller coaster ride from Whitehorse to 50 miles inside of Alaska, frost heaves. The speed limit is 90Km for this final leg of Canada. Driving my HDT w/Trailer I had to drive significantly slower most of the time. :wacko:

Larry&Donna 

Cathy and I are at Shoreline RV Park in Crescent City, CA.  We are taking a scenic route to Alaska.  After we see more of the Redwood Forests we may follow 101 north for a while before hopping on I 5.  We plan to cross into Canada at Sumas, WA. 

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

We have not posted in a while, We are in Amite LA at the Natalbany Creek Campground, they have lots of sites and can handle any size rig. We have friends here and play golf twice a week, any golfers in the area, look us up.... Jim & Norma

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

In Lincoln Nebraska for a few weeks helping friends move.

Jim, check out the Grove of Titans in the National forest - most beautiful. One of my top favorite places. Numerous great walks through the forests there. - Trey

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

We are in Plainview, Tx visiting the grand kids. The city rv park is undergoing renovations so we are staying at a brand new park, Hitchin Post Rv Park and Cabins. Open only a month. They paid a designer to help lay out their park. They now know he didn't know what he was doing. They are going to make all the sites wider. I bent their ear a little about having some 100ft pull through sires for us HDTs. One of the owners is the head of the physician group my daughter uses and he stopped by and we chatted a little. Very nice people and looking forward to them growing. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 9:20 PM, Larry&Donna-AK said:

Arrived home, Faibanks, this afternoon. 4 days across Canada. For those of you traveling to Alaska this summer. Be prepared for a roller coaster ride from Whitehorse to 50 miles inside of Alaska, frost heaves. The speed limit is 90Km for this final leg of Canada. Driving my HDT w/Trailer I had to drive significantly slower most of the time. :wacko:

Larry&Donna 

It's my guess that Alaska and Canada (Yukon) have never resolved the issue of who uses that stretch of the Alaska Highway, Canadian residents or US residents traveling from Haines to the Alaska Highway at Haines Junction and then on into Alaska.  The Yukon has never seemed to do much more than putting little orange ribbons next to semi swallowing pot holes.  I'll follow my usual strategy of falling in behind a trucker headed my way and watch when the truck swerves or sinks out of site.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Arrived to River View RV Park outside of North Pole AK.  Plan to spend the next 3 months here. Daughter lives in the area.  Anyone coming this way, stop & say hello.

Todd & Beth

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Ron and Shelley Johnston of THOR and the Adventurers arrived in Tok, Alaska today for a one night stay at Sourdough Campground. We took the ferry from Bellingham, WA and arrived three days later in Haines, AK. We hit the highway, crossed into Yukon Territory for three days, and crossed back into Alaska today. Easy-Peasy border crossings both times but of course we had prepared for being boarded so no fresh anything and no dairy or eggs. Went out tonight to Fast Eddy'srestaurant and had a great meal of halibut and salmon. You never saw two people devour their fresh salads with such gusto, lol! Also I thelocal super market  - Three Bears - that had awesome fruit and produce. Yummmmm!

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

At Junipers Reservoir RV Resort in Lakeview OR, heading to Caldwell ID for the WCR June 12, for you guys coming from California to the WCR this is a very nice park for our HDT's.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Rodeane and I pulled into Grande Prairie, Alberta yesterday and are staying at the Rotary RV Park.  We'll be here for a week, waiting for a part for our Splendide washer/dryer.  We will have a chance to explore a new area, for us, and see the new dinosaur museum nearby.  We will also meet Rita tomorrow, as she works at the Rotary RV Park.

There was a recent discussion of Alberta Highway 40 and its condition.  We drove it yesterday from Hinton to Grande Prairie.  It is a two lane connecter that saves a lot of time, versus going through Edmonton.  We saw one moose, 4 mule deer, and one coyote that still had on its beautiful winter coat.   There were relatively few potholes, most pretty shallow.  No danger to good tires.  For geology fans, this road runs north through the foothills of the Canadian Rockies and crosses many of the main rivers flowing out of the mountains.  On a clear day it is a beautiful drive.

I usually drive 62 mph, or its kilometer equivalent, unless the speed limit is slower.  During this trip we have averaged 9.5 mpg while towing by holding the speed to 62, my personal best mileage.  

As we continue toward the Yukon I'll post anything that might be of interest to others headed way north, when we have an internet connection.  For rockhounds, my native tribe, the Canadian Rockies, as beautiful as they are, are a bust.  They are all sedimentary, with the exception of the Gog quartzite.  The "Ammolite"  gem ammonite shell is found east of the mountains.  I'm not sure where the B.C. nephrite jade comes from.

John 

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Planning to break camp this morning here at the edge of Death Valley with the latest cold snap down to 91f today.........will likely wonder up the Great Smokey Valley thru Austin where the forecast is up to one inch of snow.......maybe Dollymomma might throw the chains on the eight drivers and four trailer tires.....maybe not.....

Would like to hit and run the WCR but Dolly-the-paint-horse is aboard and she would eat the RV park lawn and then do ......do, do like horses tend to do.....besides we are afraid she might pick fights with the dogs at the Rally.....we have tried to teach her to bark but so far she still makes horse like sounds.......

When we get to Oregon we have a date with the district attorney's office to arrange for some justice for the scunbags that took several hundred thousand of the mother n laws savings........looks like we will get most if not all funds back.......it's not been fun getting old when folks rob geezers.....

Maybe next year we could drop by the WCR and by then Dolly will bark like a big dog.......she is sorta big at 1,050 lbs..........

Drive on........(your not likely not too lost as long as you still have 200 gal fuel still in the tanks....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Planning to break camp this morning here at the edge of Death Valley with the latest cold snap down to 91f today.........will likely wonder up the Great Smokey Valley thru Austin where the forecast is up to one inch of snow.......maybe Dollymomma might throw the chains on the eight drivers and four trailer tires.....maybe not.....

Would like to hit and run the WCR but Dolly-the-paint-horse is aboard and she would eat the RV park lawn and then do ......do, do like horses tend to do.....besides we are afraid she might pick fights with the dogs at the Rally.....we have tried to teach her to bark but so far she still makes horse like sounds.......

When we get to Oregon we have a date with the district attorney's office to arrange for some justice for the scunbags that took several hundred thousand of the mother n laws savings........looks like we will get most if not all funds back.......it's not been fun getting old when folks rob geezers.....

Maybe next year we could drop by the WCR and by then Dolly will bark like a big dog.......she is sorta big at 1,050 lbs..........

Drive on........(your not likely not too lost as long as you still have 200 gal fuel still in the tanks....)

Safe travels there DT!  We will keep ice on the cooler while your gone.  Give a holler when you get back and we can get together for Mexican or American.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

13 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Safe travels there DT!  We will keep ice on the cooler while your gone.  Give a holler when you get back and we can get together for Mexican or American.....

Right on John,

Mex or American or.......... shucks maybe I can  catch that BIG Scorpion that shot out from Dolly's grain barrel a few days ago it was about the size of a Lobster ..........we could throw it an the barbi and have enough for all of us........

Maybe entice Teach over the hill as well.......

Drive on............(Look out here we......gooooooo)

Edited by Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We are back down in the Rio Grande Valley for about 3 weeks as we lead a Family Missions Trip into Mexico to do some more work on a home for boys at an orphanage there.  Will be heading slowly to Calif. after that.

Yes, it's a little warm down here towards the tip of Texas!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

We were driving east on highway 60 somewhere in the middle of Missouri today. Westbound we saw an HDT hauling a fifth wheel. I only got 1 glance because I was driving but it might have been a Volvo 780, white above, red fenders and fairings. Camper I'm not sure but probably white. We got no photos. 

Sound familiar to anyone?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg