HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

Still in AL, but headed to TN for the HDT rally in a couple of days. Looking forward to meeting some new "dark sider's" at the rally, and seeing friends we met at the KS rally again. Travel safe everyone!

Sharon

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided this morning to head back to Austin to get some repair work done before taking off for the north.

Brad, we knocked on your door to say goodbye but you were running errands. Hope to see you and Jackolyn soon. Thanks for the golf and the great advice.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

After stopping at the toy store icon_rolleyes.gif(I-80 Truck Stop) in Iowa, we called Steve and Sandy Flatgard. We are prestenly staying at "Camp Flatgard Wildlife Preserve". icon_biggrin.gif

The dogs jump down from the truck and froze!! I'm not sure who was more frightened, the dogs or the cows standing at the fence staring at them. icon_smile.gif

Probably heading toward Wichita on Sunday.

Looks like the last post about Steve and Sandy was in 2007. I am currently sitting on their property and it's 2012 in the latter part of April. There has been some occasional frost and I have had to use the furnace just a little.

Last summer I worked in Cedar Rapids (about 12 miles from the exit to Steve and Sandy's) and mentioned on the forum that I might return this summer. Last year I stayed at Amana RV Campground until they closed and then out on I-80 for a month before heading back south. Anyway, thanks to the forum Steve or Sandy contacted me and offered a place to park on their 52 acre home base. It's a great place. He has a 50 amp site (where I currently am parked) and a 30 amp site. Both are easy access for an HDT and long 5er. They also have some excellent dry camping areas nestled in a treed pasture. Steve is a previous attendee at the HDT rally's in Wichita, and watches the forum. I will be here for another 7 weeks and will someday get outside with the camera and post some photos on Facebook with a link here. Now I have to get ready for work.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Just leaving Loveland, Colorado after a very pleasant visit with Jack and Dianne and Roger and Debbie at the New Horizons factory in Junction City, Kansas on Tuesday. Niiice toys and Jack and Danielle's new rig is wonderful. :)

Heading for Great Falls, Montana in a few minutes which is going to make for a long day at over 700 miles, then on to Red Deer, Alberta tomorrow which should be a little better. At least the weather is cooperating so far...

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Just leaving Loveland, Colorado after a very pleasant visit with Jack and Dianne and Roger and Debbie at the New Horizons factory in Junction City, Kansas on Tuesday. Niiice toys and Jack and Danielle's new rig is wonderful. :)

Heading for Great Falls, Montana in a few minutes which is going to make for a long day at over 700 miles, then on to Red Deer, Alberta tomorrow which should be a little better. At least the weather is cooperating so far...

Geo

pm sent with an open invitation for you to rest here while on your journey. (we have a site with power/sewer available) or dry camping on our 20 acres.

this invitation is extended to everyone, anytime even if were not around.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200412894154995011953.0004ba1a0de485c478a5e&msa=0

don

Don and Diane

2008 Haulmark 3303TS
2014 JKUR X

Thanks Don, that's very kind. Need to boot it north this time as we have customs to deal with tomorrow over the trailer mods. I think Great Falls is the more conservative option this time.

Would love to take you up next trip south tho.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

No trans problems yet, but spent yesterday evening at the Volvo dealer in Billings having the fan clutch assembly replaced.

Heading to Red Deer today after some battery charge time currently but the weather is not primo. High winds and some rain.

Snow forecast this afternoon for Red Deer. Interesting after Junction City in the 90s.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

This is too funny, or at least it is if you have a warped sense of humor.

Paid callout and after hours fees on the fan clutch job last night so I could get to Red Deer tonight. Instead am sitting on the side of the road 2.3 miles on the Canadian side of the border because the mechanic didn't look at the rad hoses last night and one was worn nearly through from the wobbly fan blade.

Looks like a tow into Lethbridge where I will improvise a hose. Volvo has no stock and it will be Tuesday otherwise. Coachnet is being helpful so far which is a positive.

Hmmm.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

The Giant is on the road! OK tomorrow. MO on Monday, IL by next weekend. After that is a blur of inactivity on a 3 week trip to Great Falls MT.

Bruce & Sharon

Boogie & Jack (The campin' critters)

Full-Time since 2006

2005 Freightliner Century ST II with Detroit diesel 60 series 14 Liter 455 hp 3:73 gears, ultra-shift 10 spd, 2L smart car hauler bed and matching paint by 2L Custom Trucks (Gentle Giant)

2010 44.5 ft Spacecraft with bar (Animal House)

2010 Smart For 2 (Urkel)

Finally in Red Deer, Alberta today with all the various units and people and animals that make up Desolation Roe on the road.

A scramble tomorrow to get ready to launch Saturday morning for Vancouver ISland and K's summer quarters. Once that is accomplished I am back to Alberta and back to work. Sometime, meantime we will buIld a bed for the Volvo this summer.

It will be a labour of love. Or something! ;)

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Finally, moved toward Calif -- left Mesa on Tues, got as far as Q, yesterday did a day trip to Algodones for DDS (cleanings, $10 each), shop for grandkid items, & the all-important lunch at Ma-D-Som for some music, margarita & food-combo!

From Q we will head to Beaumont (lower-CA grandkid visit), the onward to SF area (via Pacific beach at Rincon Hwy) to attend family graduation (youngest niece getting RN & cum laude BS degrees).

-Don

Edited by DonF

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

Currently camped out in the Pilot truck parking area about 80 miles east of Memphis enroute to Tucson, getting ready to enjoy my new mattress in my sleeper. AC is on and watching TV. Life just sucks. :lol:

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

Left Junction City,KS yesterday headed towards Woodland Park, CO for the summer. Should get there today if the wind does not blow me off the road.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Left Junction City,KS yesterday headed towards Woodland Park, CO for the summer. Should get there today if the wind does not blow me off the road.

If that is the same south wind I had behind me today I pity you driving across it. From my side the FL is laying down some record breaking mileage having that same wind from TX to NE Oklahoma. smile.gif

Bruce & Sharon

Full-Time since 2006

2005 Freightliner Century ST II with Detroit diesel 60 series 14 Liter 455 hp 3:73 gears, ultra-shift 10 spd, 2L smart car hauler bed and matching paint by 2L Custom Trucks (Gentle Giant)

2010 Smart For 2 (Urkel)

Made it to Woodland Park without incident yesterday. Avoided the worst of the wind, but had a 25mph cross/ head wind almost all the way. Pretty much put me into the 5-6mpg range on the plains. When we pulled into Oakley, KS Saturday afternoon the temp was 98*. When we pulled into Woodland Park Sunday afternoon the temp was 56*. This morning there is snow on the ground and in the pines.....Pretty nice out!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Slightly jealous Jack and Danielle - we got to the northern part of TN yesterday with 95 degrees and about 195% humidity I think! :o I am longing for the return to CO the first of June. Heading to southern MO for a couple of days to visit an uncle, then off to explore and fish our new "state of residency" South Dakota. Looking forward to some cooler temps there - just way too hot and muggy here for this wimpy desert gal. Need dryer air at the very least. Have to say that it's pretty here though, just wish the temps were lower! Camps - you were really lucky to get a nice TAIL wind instead of Jack's head wind! Helps the "bottom line" on the fuel budget doesn't it!?

Edited by kingskids

Richard & Sharon

After 3 nights in the beautiful Smokies we motored non-stop to one of our favorite locations in the world -- Lake Norman, North Carolina. We arrived in time for happy hour and a tour of our new home for some of our “most fun” old friends, the Bakers and Bumgardners. The month-long party has started, and the rest of the N.C. crew will join us Saturday on the Bumgardner’s dock to solve the world’s problems. This could require a designated driver back to the rv park.

30kt cross wind on I-40 but the new bus handled the wind in style...Some trucks had problems at Black Mountain.

2012 42QD Itasca Ellipse, 450 Cummins with a Toyota toad...

Just arrived in Anacortes, WA. Going to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island tomorrow early. Weather is fantastic, the trip was simply amazing with bright sunny conditions the whole way through the Canadian Rockies. Lots of snow beside the road in the high passes. We are still early in the season.

Got attitude at the border which is unusual for us. Had to justify why we were coming to the US to spend our money. Quite odd.

Also got earache over taking my RV through the RV lane. Explained nicely that my 65' (or so) was much easier to maneuver than a 45' motorhome, but it just seemed today the guardians of the wild frontier wanted none of it. Like, yeah, right, next time I'm going on the commercial side so they can b***h instead. Some days...

They asked about people hiding in the fiver but at least didn't want to look.

I may have to add Sumas to my very small list of places not to cross at when you have an easy alternative.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Camps - you were really lucky to get a nice TAIL wind instead of Jack's head wind! Helps the "bottom line" on the fuel budget doesn't it!?

Yep I was, but not to worry it's out of the north now and heading for west central Missouri tomorrow.

Where you going in SD? I will likely take the I-90 corridor through there in 10 to 14 days heading to Montana, got a cousin around Chamberlain that I need to visit.

Bruce & Sharon

Full-Time since 2006

2010 Smart For 2 (Urkel)

Where you going in SD? I will likely take the I-90 corridor through there in 10 to 14 days heading to Montana, got a cousin around Chamberlain that I need to visit.

Bruce & Sharon - We'll either be in Madison or Ft. Pierre - holler at us if you're in the area. We're trying to get some fishing in. Richard said we've done too much dragging the boat around and not nearly enough time in the water! But do let us know if you'll be in the area, we're not in the water every day or all day long most days, so there's always some time to sit and shoot the breeze with one of our fellow "dark side" travelers!

Oh man - just read about the "accident" that your trailer incurred - so glad it wasn't worse, but sorry that some dumb butt couldn't drive! Hope the repairs go well! Meantime, try to stay away from idiots who can't even maneuver a LGT (little girly truck)!

Edited by kingskids

Richard & Sharon

In N. Little Rock. Truck thought visiting the local FL shop would be nice. It developed a big air leak and would not build air yesterday morning. GS ERS came through and had it towed to the shop. I'm in a nearby motel.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

Elk City, OK today. BTTB likes 70mph just fine but the fuel tank doesn't. Lol. Still having air problems. Goes from 125 to below 100 in 15 min and needs 1200 rpm to start building pressure back up. Did FL rip me off?

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..