Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

And now I are one. After reading about SCC for some time, I applied, got hired, got trained by Hank in LA, and am awaiting my first assignment.

I'll be walking the line very soon.

Well congratulations and good luck. Let us know where you end up and how it goes vs what you expect!!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you on board Larry! Hank is good people. I worked with Hank in SLC summer of 2010 and again in Feb/March down in LA. How is it in GA? I'm still in MT, trying to get this project wrapped up. hope to be in warmer weather soon.

Barney

fulltimer since 05, traveling,working,traveling,working......

Barney and Cheryl(RIP 6/15/13) love you Baby!

Hi Barney,

Hank had a lot of good things to say about you. Hope to meet you down the road.

GA is nice; starting to get cool. You are still in MT? COLD?

Walking the line . . .everyday. Except when it rains.

Thank you,
Larry and Sandy
Rascal (the rescued cat)
Enjoy the Journey
SKP#42129

• 5 months later...

I notice the last post was from November 2011 but am wondering if anyone has current contact info...hubby and I released from our contract at a co-op very unexpectedly last week and are in need of work. Thanks for any help you can give us. You can also email me privately at al1257 AT gmail DOT com Thanks.

Ali and Ron

D'Hanis, TX

http://ali1257.blogspot.com

You can Google Southern Cross Corp to get the contact info or read back thru this thread which has been going for several years. The company is right outside Atlanta GA. There were some new contact names last summer, but same company, just the normal shuffle in a corporation.

One rule that is mentioned thru out the thread you have to be persistent. They seem to respond more to the squeaking wheel so don't just submit the info then expect them to do the rest! Follow up on your paperwork once submitted, be polite but persistent seems to work. Good luck!

Edited by bobsea43

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

I notice the last post was from November 2011 but am wondering if anyone has current contact info...hubby and I released from our contract at a co-op very unexpectedly last week and are in need of work. Thanks for any help you can give us. You can also email me privately at al1257 AT gmail DOT com Thanks.

hi Ali, Yes Southern Cross is hiring right now for projects in Wash, Or and N. Idaho. plus other projects across the nation. I am currently in N Utah working with 12 other techs till Nov. Sherman retired last fall so you should call and ask Brian Flynn at 800-241-5047. He is the project cord. operations mjr for all us travelers. tell em Barney

sent you, not that it matters, but you can tell em anyway.

Barney

• 2 months later...

the truth is recruiters will tell you anything to get you started...but none of it is true. it is actually a part time job. they nickel and dime, chisel and snip. no field support whatsoever, a down day equals no pay. minimum wage isn't enough to be a slave to billable hours.

bottom line.....not a real job.

the truth is recruiters will tell you anything to get you started...but none of it is true. it is actually a part time job. they nickel and dime, chisel and snip. no field support whatsoever, a down day equals no pay. minimum wage isn't enough to be a slave to billable hours.

bottom line.....not a real job.

Interesting 1st post. I'd say you're either a troll or a disgruntled ex employee. I'm not a recruiter. I've said before, this is a job, not retirement. You will sweat, get dirty,

get wet and get tired. You'll be asked to go where the work is. That may not be where you want to go. Too Bad. SCC is worked based on client demand. When the client decides to sign the contract, we go to work. You are guaranteed 24 minimum hrs plus weekly per diem if the weather washes you out all week. But this is an hourly position not salary. If you can't work, or won't work, you won't get paid. As far as support goes my experience over the last 3 1/2 yrs has been the opposite. I have always been supported. From the project Mjr on up to the Pres of daily operations or the Senior VP. Any one of them is only a phone call away, and that's their personal cell #'s. this job is not for everyone. But for us it works. we've been places we probably wouldn't have gone to, met people we might have missed, and seen some wonderful sunsets. all while getting paid.

Barney

Edited by Barnstormers

While I have not worked for SCC, I have followed this thread closely for 5+ years and was ready to go to work for them about 4 years ago when some unexpected changes in my life precluded it. What Barney says is much more consistent with what others have said then what ontheroad99 has said. You need to understand what their expectations are and if it fits your needs and expectations. If my circumstances allowed it I would expect to enjoy working for them.

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

Guest David & Lorna Schinske

... this is a job... you will sweat, get dirty, get wet and get tired... You are guaranteed 24 minimum hrs... If you can't work, or won't work, you won't get paid...

Sounds a bit like my job (i have a few less hours... normally). While I do get paid a lot more than minimum wage (I have a fair amount of experience) I also do not get to travel. So what is the problem. It's a job. You trade your sweat/time for their $$. Even workamping (hours for site) for a site will involve the same tradeoff... your sweat/time for compensation (a campsite). From what I have read and info I have gotten direct from SCC it is a very real job. We decided it wasn't for us, but it seems to suit others quite well. Not everyone likes the same things. I start my workday at 4AM. Lot's of folks would not do that. I normally work 4 hours and go home. Sometimes I get extra hours but I also don't work weekends. It's a job. It's not playtime. Like I told someone that USED to work at the same place doing the same job... life is too short to work someplace that makes you very unhappy. If you don't like SCC, then don't work there. It's very simple. There have been enough posts on the job & company to give anyone a good understanding about how things work. This is a great thread. By keeping it up to date, potential applicants can see how working conditions have changed, or not, over time. For anyone interested in this company should read from the very first post all the way to the end... over 4 years of posts as of this post. How many places can you preview a job like this one?

Edited by David & Lorna Schinske

Looks like SCFS (Southern Cross Field Services) has a pretty big territory. There was a folder stuck in the door today, that our local Natural gas provider is doing some meter upgrades. They're using SCFS, to install equipment from Itron Inc. Small world.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Looks like SCFS (Southern Cross Field Services) has a pretty big territory. There was a folder stuck in the door today, that our local Natural gas provider is doing some meter upgrades. They're using SCFS, to install equipment from Itron Inc. Small world.

how cool! this contract is SCC's first in Canada. Its been a fast learning curve from what I understand. The "meter swap projects" are different that the leak survey that I do. When I found out we had a project "up North" I immediately volunteered. But there was other work they needed me on here in the States. Oh well, maybe next year.

By the way, Grand Praire is a beautiful area.

Barney

• 4 months later...

I applied a couple times in the past looking for Alabama work, maybe I should apply for a traveling position.... I'm feeling like a change of scenery would be good. Any recent hiring? Wait till spring? I'm going to call GA in the morning and see if that Birmingham need is still there. I got rid of my big 5h wheel, might get a smaller unit and travel again.

• 1 month later...

What about the phisical requirements of the job. I am 70 and healthy, but have a problem lifting to much.

The company I currently work for Southern Cross(SCC)and have for the last 5yrs, is hiring full or partime men or women. You can also hire on as a team. I'm currently in Austin, Tx for the next 2 months and then will move on to Mineral Wells and Weatherford, Tx and will be there until last of August. Then I'll quit for the season and travel.

The reason I like SCC is that I only work the months that I need. They only request,That I let them know in advance of assignments of how long I would like to work. I have worked for them 4 to six months each season.

The pay is hourly and I get 220 aweek for Travel. Plus payment for the use of my car. Since I live in Texas, I only pay taxes on my hourly pay. I work only 40 hours a week, but can and have worked overtime. All jobs are 40 hr week, unless customer request a longer work day, but you know this up front, and can decline the job.Example The last 2 months I worked for Texas Gas in Graham and Breckenridge, Tx. Since the company request and I agreed, I work 45 hrs a week in order to get the job done before a State inspection was done. The job here in Austin I'll work only 40 hrs a week. The next job and last for the season, I'll work 50 hrs a week (this one is of my on chosing).

Training is provide in the form of On-the-Job, on location or at their HQs in Norcoss, Ga. Training will last for abou 4-5 wks and you are being paid.

They have health ins. If you want and a 401 plan. I get vacation time, even if I work only partime.

They have job all over the country, they call you and ask if you want to go to say Montana of Ohio, Texas and so on. I have worked in Oh,Ky,Ok,Al,Ms,Ga and chose to stay in Texas this year.

On thing is that SCC does not get upset if you decline a job, in other words you do not go to the bottom of some list.They are every easy company to work for, I find that most people that have problems with them, are not commicating their needs or plans

Having spent 37 yrs working for the Army and Federal service, this job is just right for my live style. The money I make in the spring/summer allows me and my wife to live and do things the rest of the year, without worrying that we are spending to much and I use it to buy my toys.

I you have any question just email me. If looking for a job (and They are hiring Now) just a SCC a 800-344-5066. Tell whoever answers that you are looking for work and they will get you to the right person. Tell Bob Arnold sent you. ( I get money)

Bob Arnold

Mission, Tx

What about the phisical requirements of the job. I am 70 and healthy, but have a problem lifting to much.

Lots of walking in all weather conditions in many environments and sometimes encountering hostile canines and human beings.

full time for 17 months Rving no longer an option but it was great while it lasted.

For what it is worth - I have followed this thread for 5* years and seriously considered working for them until about 3 years ago! I gave up on that due to some totally unrelated conditions. John Beale, I would characterize my health and condition same as you and, based on my info on this subject, I would not hesitate to work for them. (I will be 70 next month, and walk 3-4 miles most days.)

If it fits your objectives I would recommend you go for it! But, it has to be your decision!

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

Well the vast number of folks on this forum are RVers or interested in the lifestyle. This work normally involves limited time (months, maybe a year) at a work location so an RV is an asset. But, I have never understood that they required it and they do have a number of jobs that are not so mobile. Look at their website for some more info.

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

John Beale...

The normal everyday tools you use to do the job do not require much lifting. However, you do need to be able to lift the charging cylinder into and out of your vehicle when it needs to be recharged. It weighs about 40 lbs. If you have trouble with that amount of weight, you could always ask someone to help you lift it.

Air-Quarius...

Although having a truck might be a bit easier to use, it is not a requirement for the job. Most everyone I worked with had cars or SUV's. I always found cars and SUV's easier to work out if because you had somewhere to put all your tools where you could lock them up. Some people used pickups but they had a cover over the bed that they could lock.

An RV is not required but you won't make enough per diem to pay for a place to stay (hotel, motel, etc) if you don't already have an RV to live in. Thus why these jobs are good for RV'ers. You could go to them just with your truck if the job was close enough so you could get back home at night... and not use to much gas getting to and from job site and "home". SCC will not pay over a certain amount for your fuel, so you need to be as close as possible to where you are working in order for it not to cost you money to work.

For both of you...

The main thing with SCC is you have to hound them to get a job there. If you just fill out the paperwork and wait for them to contact you, you'll be sitting there till the end of time.

If you are interested, fill all paperwork, then keep calling till they give you a firm yay or nay.

If you drop the ball, they will not pick it up!

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

Well I contacted them and a female receptionist responded with an online application, which I filled out. Looked like the closest work for them (by looking) was up in Kansas. The application started with a long ...kind of a paranoid-dumb smart-possible trick question/selection form--about three-four pages long. I did not have much of a work history as I have been working my own business for about twenty years.

I have been trying to design my working on the road plan by painting signs and airbrushing...I am not too hip to flea markets...I prefer doing something right beside the road (or parking lot) with people passing by. I have seen vendors selling miniature trees-fluffy plush blankets-junk-watermelons-pets-honey...seems like the blankets were the best looking eye catcher. But look at all that inventory you have to lugg around! Plus being out in the wind and the elements. I keep banging my head about what can I do out there to make money on the road. You can't just jump out there with so much cash to go on and expect an instant return....not pulling an Airstream at the same time. So I figure it would have to be a destination with a job.

Edited by AIR-Quarius

• 1 month later...

Well I contacted them and a female receptionist responded with an online application, which I filled out. Looked like the closest work for them (by looking) was up in Kansas. The application started with a long ...kind of a paranoid-dumb smart-possible trick question/selection form--about three-four pages long. I did not have much of a work history as I have been working my own business for about twenty years.

I have been trying to design my working on the road plan by painting signs and airbrushing...I am not too hip to flea markets...I prefer doing something right beside the road (or parking lot) with people passing by. I have seen vendors selling miniature trees-fluffy plush blankets-junk-watermelons-pets-honey...seems like the blankets were the best looking eye catcher. But look at all that inventory you have to lugg around! Plus being out in the wind and the elements. I keep banging my head about what can I do out there to make money on the road. You can't just jump out there with so much cash to go on and expect an instant return....not pulling an Airstream at the same time. So I figure it would have to be a destination with a job.

Good news! I got a call today from SSC and will talk more with them tomorrow. Hope this works out...I guess all I have to do is MAKE IT WORK OUT!

• 2 months later...

What exactly do you do? I can walk 8 ,10 miles a day lift required weight. What is this about a tourch flame pack ,or something on that order. Are you required to canvas bad parts of town,I would rather be in country area walking alot of miles each day. Thanks

Flame pack is handheld, 6lbs. Tank to recharge flame pack, 50-ish lbs. (tank stays in your vehicle, you don't carry it).

You work where the maps they give you tell you. Sometimes they are in bad parts of town, sometimes in the country.

You generally walk 2-5 miles a day (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer). The walking is not usually continual, but it really depends on the map you have for the day and how many leaks you find.

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

• 4 weeks later...