Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully hubby and I will be able to start doing this next year at this time. We have really gotten a lot of great information from this site. Just a question regarding the mileage for the RV paid by Southern Cross. Has Southern Cross compensated for the rising gas/diesel prices?

• 4 weeks later...

On each job you receive an allowance for the use of your car/truck. You are paid a sum of money per hour for this. The amount is based on location of assignment, but if you feel that you need more, than the company is offering, then you can ask for more and state the reason you need more.

You are paid 64 cents a mile, for travel between assignment, plus a days lodging. You have to submite an expense sheet.

This what I do before I take a job with SCC. I ask what the job pays, ie travel, car expense, and weekly lodging amount. My hourly pay is already set and has nothing to do with the job. Plus I ask for a copy of the workorder, which tells me what the job requires of me. I have turned jobs down because of that is required on the job.

I have worked for SCC since 2001, on a seasonal base. I have not gotten everything I wanted, but have gotten most of what I requested. This is base on give and take.

SCC is still looking for people for jobs they have available.

You can call 7708103520 and ask for Sherman carlton or just tell the operator that you need to speak to some one about applying for a job.

Bob Arnold

currently on survey job in Weatherford, Tx

Guest David & Lorna Schinske

We've never gotten paid to drive to a jobsite. We were cabinet installers & were driving 75+ miles (one way) for several years. Finally got fed up living in NC and working in SC. Moved to SC and cut our travel quite a bit. Still didn't get any $$ for it. Even when we delivered countertops to the jobsite. Personally, I think the extra pay is okay. We will be applying towards the end of this month. Currently in southwestern NC but heading to NM in December. Our current job winds up first of Nov.

Guest David & Lorna Schinske

We sent off our apps today in the mail. We got laid off after only one month. Such is life. David has picked up a job rocking a chimney that will take him about 1 week to do (I get to play in the "crick" picking up the rocks to use). We figure it will take that long for the company to get our apps... at least.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is everyone off for the winter now? When would be the best time to apply for next March work?

Ron

Ron,

We are still walking for a bit longer here in Arkansas. I would apply know. If you wan to stay in the warmth, just tell them when you would like to start. Summer contracts start picking up in March and April.

Bruce, Nena and Furball on the road

• 1 month later...
Bump

I've seen a lot of positive info about this company on this thread, mostly from 1 person. I am interested in doing this but have seen some negatives in another forum.

My question would be do many folks who are not part time (seasonal) do this kind of work and does it pay enough to support someone who has no other income?

Russell

2008 Springdale 266REL 28' TT

pulled by 2007 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L Vortec / Allison 5 spd

Subject to a spoiled rotten cat.

I've seen a lot of positive info about this company on this thread, mostly from 1 person. I am interested in doing this but have seen some negatives in another forum.

My question would be do many folks who are not part time (seasonal) do this kind of work and does it pay enough to support someone who has no other income?

I don't know much about SCC, but I did work for Heath for several years. We were able to do pretty well, since my wife is very good with a buck. :-) We did work year round, however. Unless things have changed Heath has a different philosophy than SCC on this and expects you to go where you are told and work year round. I was never able to negotiate a job like Bob has mentioned. I think if I were going back to this, I might want to consider SCC, if you needed supplemental income, but perhaps Heath might be better if you are relying on this income. Just my 2 cents. Bob may want to put in the SCC perspective on this. I had some experience with SCC's instruments and found them easier to use than Heath's, although not as sensitive. This, can be a good thing, however, since you won't find as many leaks. :-) It wasn't all peaches and cream, but, overall, I enjoyed that work and do miss it, on occasions. The only thing I did not like was working the neighborhood requiring entering back yards with dogs. But, they don't require you to go into a yard if you feel like it is dangerous.

2000 New Horizons 5th wheel

Western Wilderness Truck Camper

My Blog

Have worked for both companies. Sir Vayor is right in the assumption that SCC is for the part timer. And Heath is a job...they are willing to work with you on moving around...all depends on the contracts. This is also true with SCC...the only difference is that if there is no job to go to you are on your own. Heath does expect a worker and the equipment is better than SCC on detecting leaks. Both companies believe that if you feel you are in danger to best walk away and tell the gas company you could not gain access. Heath pays better and has better benefits...SCC is geared for the part time worker.

Gary and Sheryl Briggs

3 Cairn Terriers

2007 Mobile Suite SB3

F450 Lariat Turbo Diesel 4X4

I am a new member to this forum, but a returning member to the Escapees.

This is a very interesting thread.

Up until last week I was working as a Land/ROW Agent for a proposed natural gas pipeline. THey have not received their FERC certificate yet, so I was let go. I will probably be rehired in a few months if the certificate goes through; that is, if I don't find another pipeline project to go to.

Pipeline pay is usually very good. Per diem (non-taxable) and mileage, plus you usually get paid for cell phone usage & computer usage (if they don't provide a computer & you use your own computer)

In the meantime it's good to know there are other options out there. I'm saving all this information.

PHCP Founding Member

SKP# 58127

• 3 weeks later...
I am a new member to this forum, but a returning member to the Escapees.

This is a very interesting thread.

Up until last week I was working as a Land/ROW Agent for a proposed natural gas pipeline. THey have not received their FERC certificate yet, so I was let go. I will probably be rehired in a few months if the certificate goes through; that is, if I don't find another pipeline project to go to.

Pipeline pay is usually very good. Per diem (non-taxable) and mileage, plus you usually get paid for cell phone usage & computer usage (if they don't provide a computer & you use your own computer)

In the meantime it's good to know there are other options out there. I'm saving all this information.

MeasureMe...

DO NOT expect to get paid anywhere near the amount you are paid for the other job you mentioned. That would include both regular pay and per diem. Neither Heath nor SCC will pay as well. Also, although you will be given a company provided cell phone to use, that is all it can be used for. If you are out in a place where the company cell doesn't work, you have to use your own phone and will not be reimbursed.

No reimbursement for computer in any way. (unless you are a Project Supervisor/Manager)

shergry is correct in that Heath is more for people who want/need to work year round, full time. You can do the same thing with SCC if you want, but if you only want to work part of the year, you can do that more easily with SCC.

Total pay with SCC (based on a 40 hour week, including all per diem, vehicle allowance, mileage reimbursement) will be in the $500 a week range, before taxes on wages.

Pay with Heath, based on the same parameters, will be around $650 per week before taxes.

Keep in mind the above figures I listed are approximate. They could vary depending on certain other factors.

The big thing to keep in mind though, with both companies, is the wear and tear and fuel it takes to use your vehicle to work out of everyday. Both amounts listed above sound pretty good, especially for a "workamper" job. And they are good paying jobs. But you should realize about 1/3 of what you get per week will be going to pay for gas, up keep on your vehicle, and paying for your campsite.

We used to work for SCC so that is how we know the specifics about them. We had inquired about working for Heath and that is why we know some about what they do and require.

Though we no longer work for SCC, we did like the actual work and the exercise.

If anyone on this thread fills out an application with SCC, be sure to put Bob Arnold on your application in the blank where it asks "where you found out about SCC", so he will get the referral credit, since he is the one who started this thread. B)

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

The Yuma Sun just had an ad running for Heath stating starting salary $12/hour; benefit package including 401k; $196 weekly per diem; .505 per survey mile using personal vehicle; paid travel time between locations. A good driving record is required and job requires travel throughout the West coast. Length of stay varies from several days to 8 months. The ad further states "Ideal for people with motorhomes!" so it sounds like they are actively seeking RVers. Heath is headquartered in Tucson and accepts a downloadable application via fax or mail, obtainable at: heathus.com

Claudia & Marc #57911