Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sideroads, yes, if your a resident of FL, then you "work" in FL, with FL tax duty, which is none. You may be walking elsewhere, but you work in FL. Good luck and have fun. I enjoyed it, and may do it again this summer.

Mark Pelow

98 Z610, D12A, super 10

08 Weekend Warrior

94 Tracker in it's belly

Do not make along comitment to a park, before you find out where your trainer works. Stay at Jones for at least a day or two, it the closes to norcross office.

Your trainer may be in town or out of towm. When I trained it was downtown Altanta, and I stay nearly all most 20 miles away from norcross. On rainy days classes where held at norcross, but most if not all training is on the job now adays with little class room time.Talk to Cullen, when you get there.

Bob

A day after the meeting of the minds, and accepting the position, I received information by Fedex that answered all my questions, including RV parks, about making a long term committment to the park, as training assignments can be anywhere in Atlanta area. Training manuals, expectations, processing documents, personnel information, etc.

SCC seems to be on top of what they do in terms of personnel processing and customer service.

Spent a total of 2+ hours over 2 days, on the phone with Cullen Broome.

He is quite a gentleman, seems to really enjoy what he is doing, and it shows. He did not hesitate in answering questions, providing valuable information, etc. I think he is one of those folks you meet, that is never a stranger.

Getting a job was not all that important to me, but getting a job that I wanted to do and would enjoy doing was more important. Getting the right company with the right people to work with was even more important. After nine years of not looking, we are kind of excited about taking a new branch in the road.

Everything I have read, SCC apppears to be exactly the right match at the right time.

I am optimistic for a mutually beneficial relationship that works for both of us.

My sons were extremely surprised that I would ever consider going back to work. My DW is still in shock and I may have to take her in for therapy (I see her with a constant smile, not quite sure what to make of it!).

Finally, simply, Thank You to everyone on this forum that provided information about SCC, asked questions about SCC, and responded to questions about SCC. All of which peaked my interest in SCC quite awhile back. I just followed the thread postings and got hooked! I would not have known anything about SCC, were it not for this forum!

In my humble view, this forum is exceptional in providing invaluable information to others. There may not always be an agreement between the meeting of the minds; but there is always a meeting of the minds.

GodSpeed, and safe travels to All!

Just Simply, Thank You!

I will jump in with a note...I used to work for Heath. I think the state income tax issue is more a factor of the company's procedures. When I started out with Heath, there was no state tax withheld, even when working in states with an income tax. Then, later, they started taking out state taxes while working in states with a tax. One year I had to file in 4 different states. It was a real pain and, in one case, they continued taking out Colorado taxes when I was working in New Mexico! And, they wouldn't change it or acknowledge any error on their part. 'They' being Heath.

Hopefully, this is not an issue with SCC. Hey good luck to all of you looking into this. I enjoyed this work, for the most part.

I do know that SCC is more flexible in terms of working part-time, unless something has drastically changed in the last couple of years.

2000 New Horizons 5th wheel

Western Wilderness Truck Camper

My Blog

Time to get back on the road again. I usally do not start until mid of march or 1st of April, but this year I start drawing SS and I will be limited to 13500. So DW and I started talking an she came up with the conculsion that she wanted to start traveling for pleasure this fall around sept. So I should hit my max around then our sooner, which will depend on the jobs Itake this year.

I have to go for a four day guided job in Sweetwater, Tn starting 10th of Mar. By guided, I mean a gas company person will drive me around and piont out the lines and meters. This is not bad, because they usally punch the hole I need and the survey goes faster. Then its off to Brownsville, Tn for a 25 day guided survey, by 4 and 25 day survey I mean that what the workorder states, but each may take longer and that is understood by each company. ie weather, other jobs that take your guided away. But the clock and time keep ticking.

Then I've been ask to return to salt Lake city again this year. I told the company that this year I would perfer to stay closer to home base. ie TX, MS, OK, LA or AL., But am willing to talk about it and may go if the jobs in the other places are not my kind of job.With SCC you can state your preferance and with alittle give and take you can get about what you want, but the company in bussiness to make money, not keep me happy all the time, so I may make it to Salt Lake again, but I'll still get something in return. Like a job I really want next year or a little extra something.

Guided jobs and job where you a fellow surveyer are ok, but I perfer to work alone, just give me a workorder and maps, I set my own pace an If something goes wrong with the survey, its only my fault. I like jobs that let me work 9 or 10hrs days, that way I make My money mark sooner, and If it rains me out one day, I still get a 40 hour week. I you work with a team, they might not want to work that many hours, and as a team, in most cases all work the same hours.

Thoses of you just starting out this year, congrads, and enjoy your work. I u have question call me. 770-294-0850 company phone. Just tell the company what you want, be flexible in your wants, and rembember not all jobs or the same, so how you do it on one job, wil may not be the same on the next, only the basic surveying will remain the same. when in doubt call your upervisor.

Bob

DDrew,

Look forward to meeting you on 3/4.

Have a safe trip.

Bob, looks like SCC tries to be flexible. As you say the company is in business for a reason. I get the impression that they will be easy to work with, and my personal thoughts are, I take the job, I'll go where asked, if possible. Looking forward to a lot of different experiences in differing locations.

SCC seems like a company I want to work for, not have to. My impression is that it will be a rewarding and very mutually beneficial working relationship.

Good Luck on your travels.

Jones park is located just off the interstate 85, they only have a daily rate, but that will let you find out who your trainer will be an what area of he or she works at. Jones is a safe park, just not a nice park for long term stayes. gravel lot and pad.That where I stay when I pass thru and have to stop by the office.

When I tained I work downtown area and stayed at park off I20 East of town, I think it was called two river, some stayed in Marietta, and worked downtown, I think it was a KOA.

If it was me I would stay at Jones for about 3-4 days. That should give you time, and it the closes to the Norcross off.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Chuck did the survey in Brownsville last year. It was set for 25 working days then too but ended up being almost 3 months, with some propane added onto the end. Just FYI.

I have an RV park in the Brownsville area I can recommend for you if you haven't already found one you like. It's Joy-O. Very nice people and the price was reasonable.

Regards,

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

Thanks for the information, I am staying at the park now. start the job on the 17th, 3 mos will be alright if it not because of rain. hate sitting around. BTW see that you are in Santa Rosa, hows that job going. no WIFI at park, have to go to jackson to get email.

Bob

Southern Cross is in need for more Survey tech. the season is starting up and they have more jobs, than tech.

If you would like a job and are ready to go to work, Give the following a call.

Cullen Broome 770-810-3520 or

Sherman carlton 770-527-1687

I know it is a long thread, but if you start a thr beginning and ready to the end, most of your question about the job, will be found there.

I do't have email where I'm at, so I have to drive to another town to get my email. It may take time to answer your question.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

Have completed training and all equipment was issued today. I will know Friday the location of our first assignment.

Where are you currently assigned?

They are tossing out SLC, Montana, Wy, CO as the most urgent needs.

Southern Cross would like to hire some additional folks.

They just received a new contracts for Rhode Island, and have some pending for Illinois and Missouri.

I was assigned to work with 3 different trainers during the 3 weeks. They sure were some good folks and hard workers and committed to ensuring that we learn the process. We enjoyed the 3 weeks in Norcross.

Regards

SideRoads

Glad to have you with us. I'm in Brownsville, Tn just east of memphis off I40. Will be hear for about a month. Then hopefully back to Texas. Don't think I would go to Rohda Island, Campgrounds would be few and expensive.

Let me know where you get to work.

Bob

We are on the way to SLC, should be interesting.

Winter isn't over there yet!, but we have a son in Ogden.

Just have to keep the fireplace going.

We aren't too excited about anywhere above the Mason-Dixon, unless it's West of the Mississipp, but East of the land of fruits and nuts ( nothing personal, lived there for 5++++ years, but recovered with extensive therapy.

Best wishes!

John

• 2 weeks later...

jwalker,

One reason for those big snarly dogs is that many of those houses are meth labs or pot farms. You are right in middle of the highest production area there is!!

North of Sacramento there is a Thousand Trails park at Lake Minden...there is another in Manteca, south of Stockton. Other than that camping can be expensive. Might try some fairgrounds...generally they have RV parking there (except during the fair) and are reasonable priced..

If you're a fisherman the Stripper runs and the Steelhead and Salmon runs in the Sacramento river could be worth the high price of an out of state fishing license!!

Enjoy

Steve Ball

2002 34' Hurricane

2001 Saturn SL2

2 tabby cats (CiCi & Leo)

Guest GrayEagle
You are presently in a beautiful area, if as you say, you can just go about 60 miles east. Think you will find the area north of Sacramento to be more scenic and pleasant.

I will add my endorsement to the Sacramento and north area. We lived there for a couple of years (againest our desires) but enjoyed it. Looking forward to going back to visit. Just to the west the mountains and foothills are beautiful!! Not far to the coast and north of San Fran is beautiful! However, best to be out of there by mid-July as it gets really hot (HOT) and dry!! Enjoy!

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an Update on this year surveying. Right now I'm just starting a job in Lamar, Co, after working on a Survey in Canon City, Co. This survey and Canon City are for ATMOS Energey. The survey required Two techs. Canon City took about 10 days, Then we moved to Lamar, which will also consist of several small town in the area. I'll stay here until about the middle of May, then move to Texas, for Surveys in Breckenridge, Mineral Well and Weatherford area. Larry the tech I'm working with will finish Lamar and move to Ulyssey, Ks and work in the towns of Johnson and Syracuse. Then on too who knows where.

Southern Cross is still in need of workers

Bob

• 2 weeks later...